Ways to prevent fleas/ticks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Ways to prevent fleas/ticks

I've been reading a lot about how commercial flea/tick killer/prevention can cause cancer in dogs in cats. Our cats are indoors, and only go outside occasionally, but pretty much we just don't use prevention on them because they have never had fleas/ticks. Especially this time of the year. We are getting a puppy though, and he will be going outside much more often, as well as going places where he can come in contact with other dogs, so I was wondering what other people used for fleas/ticks. I read this article that said to mix Diatomaceous earth, neem, and yarrow together in equal amounts, and then to push your dog's hair back and apply it to the skin. It said about a tablespoon for a medium sized dog (so maybe 2 tablespoons for us!)

I was wondering if anybody else had tried using this, or what other methods people used to help prevent fleas/ticks. I'm not sure how prevalent ticks are here, but where my husband works he gets them sometimes, so I want to prevent against them anyway. I want to have a few different options to go with when we get there. So any different ideas will work!

~Deanna
Bruce - Born Nov. 9th 2015, Pick up Jan. 6th 2016
At the Bridge:
Max - With us August 24th 2015 - December 16th 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Crowned Member

I made the mistake of putting DE on the dog. It about choked me and was everywhere and soon after there was some skin problems, but I can't say for sure that was it. I give it in their food and that's it.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Crowned Member

Diatomaceous earth IN and ON the dogs?? I've never heard of this and have only used in the yard. wow

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:20 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
Diatomaceous earth IN and ON the dogs?? I've never heard of this and have only used in the yard. wow
It has to be food grade. I use it for parasite prevention and it works extremely well.

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
It has to be food grade. I use it for parasite prevention and it works extremely well.
Yeah, that's what the website said, to get it food grade, and just mix it with the other stuff, and put it on the dog. The yarrow is soothing and should help with any skin irritation. But i wan't sure about putting DE on dogs, although we did put it on our chickens once, so I guess same principal?

~Deanna
At the Bridge:
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:26 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Yeah, that's what the website said, to get it food grade, and just mix it with the other stuff, and put it on the dog. The yarrow is soothing and should help with any skin irritation. But i wan't sure about putting DE on dogs, although we did put it on our chickens once, so I guess same principal?
I can't say, because I do not recommend it, it was that bad

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Crowned Member

If you are in a high tick area, don't mess around. Just use the chemicals. I've been using the Seresto collar on Seger and so far no creepy crawlies.

DE will dry their skin out. It does work good on internal parasites like round worm because it literally cuts the worms up into tiny pieces effectively killing them.

If you are going to use DE, put a mask on. Those are tiny, sharp, crustaceans going up your nose and the dogs nose.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
If you are in a high tick area, don't mess around. Just use the chemicals. I've been using the Seresto collar on Seger and so far no creepy crawlies.

DE will dry their skin out. It does work good on internal parasites like round worm because it literally cuts the worms up into tiny pieces effectively killing them.

If you are going to use DE, put a mask on. Those are tiny, sharp, crustaceans going up your nose and the dogs nose.
Thank you! This is just one of the methods we were looking at, but overall we are going to go with an effective and least evasive method. Where we live isn't high tick, but where my husband works can be in the Spring, so we'll have to look at that. I know my husband has had some ticks on him last Spring, but no problems before that. So it may had just been that year was bad. I've heard essential oils are good. This time of the year isn't bad flea/tick wise, so we'll have some time to investigate real well.

~Deanna
At the Bridge:
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Crowned Member

What are you going to be using for heartworm prevention? A lot of those meds have some flea control already built in. The pup has to be on HW prevention, as there's no effective natural option.

I think you can tamp fleas down in your yard with weekly yard spraying of Wondercide. It has little residual effect, so it only kills what's there the day you spray (it's cedar oil), but I have noticed fewer pests in the yard after spraying.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
What are you going to be using for heartworm prevention? A lot of those meds have some flea control already built in. The pup has to be on HW prevention, as there's no effective natural option.

I think you can tamp fleas down in your yard with weekly yard spraying of Wondercide. It has little residual effect, so it only kills what's there the day you spray (it's cedar oil), but I have noticed fewer pests in the yard after spraying.
We haven't decided on a HW prevention yet, our last dog was on Heartguard, and he would take it as a treat! But our vet offers a lot of options, I will talk to him about it when I take the pup in for his first check-up.

~Deanna
At the Bridge:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page