Super! Looks like you found your vet!
First, giving the abx and a possible reason without expanding on it, IMO, is not out of line. Give the abx a whirl. why would you NOT give the abx? That makes no sense. If he has a skin infection he needs it! And if the symptoms come back then work with the vet to find the allergy. And give probiotics 2 hours after the abx.
Second, neutering is what they do. I don't know why she feels it needs to be done soon if he's over a year? did she give a reason? BUT...get the information on just removing the retained testicle and take it to her. There is no reason this can't be done that way if that is what you choose.
I appreciate your opinion on the antibiotic, and my vet's as well. However, I personally do not believe he needs them. I feel like there are other alternatives and I am thankful for the vets advice and guidance on his skin issues. As I was not sure what exactly it was and what I needed to do.
He has hotspots most likely from food allergy. But of course they gave me little verbal information on that and give me meds to treat the symptoms not the cause.
I am observing it closely, and helping it to heal naturally before I decide to give him more medicine. Please know that If he TRULY needs medicine, I will provide it. I switched his food to natures balance venison & sweet potato, he gets yogurt daily, and I've stopped giving him treats, bones, etc. Until I can determine if this is helping.
My significant other is currently deployed and we would like to wait until he returns to have any kind of operation done. So next time I see the vet I will ask about how immediate it needs to be done. But as for Grimm he seems ok, gave him a bath in the medicated shampoo he seemed much happier after he got out, I'm assuming it felt nice on his irritated skin. I'm making sure he gets plenty of exercise that way he's not bored and decides to start scratching!