Cryptorchidism - any alternatives to neutering - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 11:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm02 View Post
It's amazing that you mentioned the eye contact because you are SO right about it. Grimm and I went to another vet clinic in the area and she never made eye contact with him and it went beautifully!

I totally agree with him picking up on how I'm feeling. I was so anxious before we went to the new vet- a mixture of lack of sleep and grimm was being testy that morning lol- I sat myself down for a few minutes and said THIS WILL GO GOOD. Don't stress out if he barks, because he will, relax your body be happy cheerful and the good leader Grimm needs you to be. I had previously spoken to the clinic and explained how our previous appointment went and my concerns, etc. They were accommodating, understanding, and made me feel comfortable.They gained his trust with lots of treats and he let them pick, probe, inject, and scrape him without issue.
I'm so glad our second visit went well because those kind of interactions will help him become the wonderful social pup I know he can and will be.

But he is UTD on shots, I do have past vet records, and he got another one while we were there. The vet prescribed antibiotics for his skin, and a medicated shampoo. She said it's probably food allergies but that was all she suggested as far as eliminating his skin condition. Typical, treat the symptoms not the cause. I switched his food to natural balance venison & sweet potato so hopefully that will help. The antibiotic prescribed is cephalexin 750mg a day. I only gave him 250mg this morning and after doing some research I decided to not give anymore to him.
She recommended neutering him and that it needed to be done soon as he is over a year old. I plan on traveling to a larger city nearby to be able to discuss it with a holistic vet.

I appreciate everyone's thoughtful and informative responses. You guys are wonderful and have really helped me be a better mother to my grimm!
Super! Looks like you found your vet!

First, giving the abx and a possible reason without expanding on it, IMO, is not out of line. Give the abx a whirl. why would you NOT give the abx? That makes no sense. If he has a skin infection he needs it! And if the symptoms come back then work with the vet to find the allergy. And give probiotics 2 hours after the abx.

Second, neutering is what they do. I don't know why she feels it needs to be done soon if he's over a year? did she give a reason? BUT...get the information on just removing the retained testicle and take it to her. There is no reason this can't be done that way if that is what you choose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
At 2 years you could have the retained one removed and a vasectomy on the descended one. I had a GSD male in the past like that and it worked well.
Currently my Collie pup of 4 months still has a retained one. If it remains that way, I will have it monitored and decide then if I have it removed or not. IMO we think way to easy about all these invasive procedures.
Mines got both balls up in his body and what I worry about the most is Testicle torsion.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Super! Looks like you found your vet!

First, giving the abx and a possible reason without expanding on it, IMO, is not out of line. Give the abx a whirl. why would you NOT give the abx? That makes no sense. If he has a skin infection he needs it! And if the symptoms come back then work with the vet to find the allergy. And give probiotics 2 hours after the abx.

Second, neutering is what they do. I don't know why she feels it needs to be done soon if he's over a year? did she give a reason? BUT...get the information on just removing the retained testicle and take it to her. There is no reason this can't be done that way if that is what you choose.

I appreciate your opinion on the antibiotic, and my vet's as well. However, I personally do not believe he needs them. I feel like there are other alternatives and I am thankful for the vets advice and guidance on his skin issues. As I was not sure what exactly it was and what I needed to do.
He has hotspots most likely from food allergy. But of course they gave me little verbal information on that and give me meds to treat the symptoms not the cause.
I am observing it closely, and helping it to heal naturally before I decide to give him more medicine. Please know that If he TRULY needs medicine, I will provide it. I switched his food to natures balance venison & sweet potato, he gets yogurt daily, and I've stopped giving him treats, bones, etc. Until I can determine if this is helping.

My significant other is currently deployed and we would like to wait until he returns to have any kind of operation done. So next time I see the vet I will ask about how immediate it needs to be done. But as for Grimm he seems ok, gave him a bath in the medicated shampoo he seemed much happier after he got out, I'm assuming it felt nice on his irritated skin. I'm making sure he gets plenty of exercise that way he's not bored and decides to start scratching!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page