Laser Therapy for Arthritis and Hips vs Euthanasia - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post
The vet told me there were many expensive things to try to prolong the unavoidable
Death is inevitable for us all, but aging well should be everyone's goal (and our goal for our dogs). Adequan + supps gave my dog two glorious years of high quality of life - that was 17% of his total life span (or viewed from the opposite angle, we added 20% to his lifespan by starting this regimen at age 10 instead of giving up on him). Had cancer not eventually gotten him, he'd have kept on going. Throwing in the towel on his hip arthritis at age 10 would have been such a mistake for us, as his last two years were happy, active, and full of joy. They might even be my favorite two years of his whole life, as he was such jolly oldster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I'll look into some sort of therapy for him.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Death is inevitable for us all, but aging well should be everyone's goal (and our goal for our dogs). Adequan + supps gave my dog two glorious years of high quality of life - that was 17% of his total life span (or viewed from the opposite angle, we added 20% to his lifespan by starting this regimen at age 10 instead of giving up on him). Had cancer not eventually gotten him, he'd have kept on going. Throwing in the towel on his hip arthritis at age 10 would have been such a mistake for us, as his last two years were happy, active, and full of joy. They might even be my favorite two years of his whole life, as he was such jolly oldster.
I agree. My previous GSD had a tumor diagnosed when he was 10. The vet said 50% chance of surviving the surgery. Because it was a tumor and not a deterioration of bones, I elected for the surgery to give him a chance. He was 58lbs normal weight - the tumor was only attached to his spleen but weighed 5 1/2 lbs. He survived and was happy and healthy for another 3 1/2 years. The tumor was unusual for some reason. Our vet was on the state board for vets and wanted the tumor studied. Our vet sold it to the Univ of Wa Vet School. The vet school picked up the entire tab for the surgery.

With my last GSD at 13 it was obvious he had bone deterioration and it was not going to get better. The aspirin did keep him free of the pain and he ran and was happy until his last day. The bone socket gave out all at once. Surgery or any other treatment was simply not an option at 14.5 years of age. That is what the vet was explaining to me when he was 13 and I had just started him on the aspirin therapy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page