Coconut oil-a natural tick repellant? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Coconut oil-a natural tick repellant?

Coconut oil-a natural tick repellant?-image.jpg
Today we went to the park and went for walk on the trail. The trails were very wide and I am showing a picture of the most narrowest part of the trail. We had to cut our hike short because of all the ticks my husband (5 ticks) and my daughter (11 ticks) my son (7 ticks), Topper our chi (1 tick) and Max (1 tick)were pulling off themselves Thankfully no ticks got a chance to attatch themselves!!!!!They were lonestar ticks and deer ticks We did not deviate from the trail at all and been on trails before and never seen anything like this. Max and Topper had advantix on. I did not have one tick on me. I started to think that maybe I had some unknown illness and that is why the ticks stayed away. Then I thought about how I always put a little bit of coconut oil on my face and at the ends of my hair as a moisturizer everyday. It seems to be a cure all for everything. I looked up coconut oil and some people do use it as a repellant and works for dogs to. They put it on by using a spray bottle with some water and coconut oil on the dogs a small amount otherwise coat gets to oily. After not finding one tick on me I truly believe that the coconut oil is a tick repellant although I will heed with caution. Has anybody used coconut oil as a tick repellant? Has it worked for you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 12:45 AM
Master Member

Never tried it but I would love to join this experiment I love coconut oil for everything too! I can't wait to see if anyone has tried it for this. I know lavender is supposed to be a good repellent too so for a double whammy you could try mixing that in too for even more heavenly scents!

Ps ew gross I can't believe that happened!! That trail is not somewhere I would have thought they would be!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 06:19 AM
Crowned Member

Sounds very interesting...do you think it would work on mosquitoes and horse flies also? When you say you water it down, how much coconut oil would you add to 1 cup water? Thanks, Deb

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 07:38 AM
Knighted Member

I use coconut oil for everything LOL but have never tried it for ticks / mosquitoes ... it MIGHT be just you because I have gotten ticks on myself, and I am slathered in coconut oil when I go out in the woods.

I use Apple Cider Vinegar / garlic and a natural product called NIX on ticks ... I googled it but can't find it ... I think it's a local product to Ottawa ... I put three drops on her neck, the middle of her back and her butt and life is good. I repeat it every 2 weeks.

If it works for you ... AWESOME ...

Marion’s Zoo-Kyleigh, Raylan-cat, Echo-TAG,
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 10:36 AM
Master Member

Tried that once, I applied 2-3 tablespoons on my dog before hiking. On the road I pulled 2-3 ticks, and 2 when we got home... so for me it didn't work
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

[QUOTE=Debanneball;6901745]Sounds very interesting...do you think it would work on mosquitoes and horse flies also? When you say you water it down, how much coconut oil would you add to 1 cup water? Thanks, Deb[/QUOTE
Hi. I have just have been using very little probably nickel size straight up as a moisturizer. That about seemed to do the trick but after finding this out and if was going on a trail I may want to put more on everywhere. After reading more about coconut oil I know you can put it in a spray bottle the water would have to be warm to dissolve the coconut oil since its like has a fat like consistency. Not sure how much maybe a 1-2 coffee scoops. Then shaken real well to mix it. This would be easier to apply to dogs and horses. I have had no ticks on me at all this season and outdoors a lot. I'm not sure about mosquitoes although I have been bitten but maybe I need to use more in spray form. This will be our summer experiment!!!!!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I will be doing much coconut oil testing!!! We live in heavily wooded area so it's very important we do daily tick checks on everyone since the ticks seem to be on a rampage this year. I really appreciate everyones feed back!!!!!!!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wick View Post
Never tried it but I would love to join this experiment I love coconut oil for everything too! I can't wait to see if anyone has tried it for this. I know lavender is supposed to be a good repellent too so for a double whammy you could try mixing that in too for even more heavenly scents!

Ps ew gross I can't believe that happened!! That trail is not somewhere I would have thought they would be!
Yes it's a shame we wanted to keep going it was a beautiful day!!!!The lavender is a great idea. Just becareful some responses have had no positive results in regards to repelling ticks.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 12:23 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wick View Post

Yes it's a shame we wanted to keep going it was a beautiful day!!!!The lavender is a great idea. Just becareful some responses have had no positive results in regards to repelling ticks.
Ugh those darn ticks are so annoying! Thanks for the heads up, I always do tick checks on wick regardless. I seriously can't believe we have only found one this year, we have been all over in the woods here in PA. I hope you can enjoy the outdoors again! Good luck!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks. We its just scary ticks checks are just becoming a natural part of our daily routine. I hope their is something to this coconut oil. I saw you thread about flies. I really like k9 advantix 2 and they are always improving something that is already great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1432662372090.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	296273  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page