HELP! Just pulled 10 ticks off 2 of my dogs after literally minutes on a hike. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

HELP! Just pulled 10 ticks off 2 of my dogs after literally minutes on a hike.

We went to Bruneau Dunes State Park to hike and climb the giant sand dune mountains/hills. After going off trail a bit near the water, we passed through an area of mosquitos. Once away from the water, I thought I saw a mosquito stuck in Beowulf's fur, so I went to get it off him. That's when I realized it was a pretty large tick. After searching Kaze and Beowulf's fur, we found a bunch more. I was able to get off every one I found as the ticks were still trying to get through the thick fur. None of them reached their skin. I've had all of the dogs on Springtime Bug Off Garlic, but Beowulf doesn't seem to eat his supplement meal when I add the garlic, so I'm most worried about him. All 3 other dogs gobble up the garlic, so I'm hoping they're safe. Paw Paw and Nara stayed home. Beowulf has the thickest fur that the ticks couldn't seem to find their way through. I'm not sure if the garlic is working, as it seemed the ticks were staying near the surface of their fur in plain visibility. Was this luck or do the ticks smell the garlic and they're purposely staying away? If so, that would be amazing. I will have to write to Springtime to tell them.

I'm wondering what else I should do to ensure none of these ticks implant their head. Even as we were driving home and the dogs were in a crate, the ticks were crawling out of the crate to the outside. Maybe the garlic really IS working and the ticks are fleeing for their lives. I hope so. I've checked over both dogs multiple times and find a tick every now and then. I don't want them to transfer ticks to the other dogs or our children. I've only ever seen 1 tick at a time in my life, never 10+ at once. We were only off trail for a few minutes. Where did all of these ticks come from? It's a good thing that these are the largest ticks I've ever seen. If they were any smaller, especially on Kaze's fur, they'd disappear and blend right in. Any other recommendations? The dogs are not on any flea or tick medication.

Last edited by counter; 05-10-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Doing some quick research. It looks like these ticks are Dog Ticks. I'm also reading that the only ticks that carry Lyme disease in Idaho are Deer Ticks and Black Legged Ticks. So we are hopefully safe there. I just don't want any creepy crawlies on my children or pets.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

A bath might be a good idea -- if you have Wondercide's REPEL soap (with neem and cedar oil), that's what I'd use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Crowned Member

First, use a real preventative like a Seresto collar or a topical.

Second, I believe you have to worry about things like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
American Lyme Disease Foundation

post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Elite Member

I've never tried garlic, but if you found that many ticks on multiple dogs I'd be inclined to say it isn't working for that particular species of tick. Might be time to revisit a topical or tick collar as Jax08 suggested. Glad you got 'em before they'd latched on!

Kate

Cafall vom Heinolf (GSD)
Efa vom Strafford Hall (GSD)
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 01:13 AM

The bad thing about dog ticks is that they can actually live in/infest your house or car, so I would recommend giving the dogs a bath with shampoo that kills ticks asap! You also do have to worry about Rocky Mountain spotted fever as well.
Ughhhhhh I am currently freaking out about ticks in my area. The ones here have all been deer ticks so far. Trying garlic and wondercide repellent this week and hoping it will make a difference on our daily hikes!
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 02:47 AM
Crowned Member

I use the garlic and Scalibor Collar. For added protection in the woods, I also use cedar oil on them.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 05:22 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Dog ticks seem to be the only ones my dog has picked up on the springtime

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:46 AM

I use cedar shaving in the dogs bedding and dog house. You can never do enough prevention. Ticks are tuff.

Last edited by HOBY; 05-11-2015 at 08:48 AM.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:10 AM

Pulled 2 off this weekend myself, and I had just put a fresh coat of wondercide on my dog. They are "tuff"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page