Natural flea/tick preventative in the SE - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Natural flea/tick preventative in the SE

As a Georgia resident, we have a great deal of ticks and fleas, especially in the summer. I've been researching different preventatives and their effects. My dogs have been on Advantage and Trifexis (at different times) and I have still found fleas on them. Since apparently nothing has 100% prevention, I have been looking into more natural alternatives such as garlic. Does anyone in the Southeast US have experience with natural flea/tick prevention compared to traditional chemical methods? I'm trying to be as informed as possible. I have read one recent thread about one person in SC's experience, but I was wanting to see if anyone else had tried. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 01:40 AM
Crowned Member

I'm an "all of the above" consumer in the SE with regard to parasites! It doesn't have to be either/or -- use the natural stuff that's proven to work for you, and fill in with synthetics when you need something more.

I douse the yard regularly in Wondercide (cedar oil), and has it kept it flea and tick-free (in Louisiana, that's saying something). However, we go to lots of dog parks and other outdoor recreational areas that are loaded with fleas...and Advantage Multi has worked great for us (it's also our HW preventative, since it has an extra ingredient for that).

I've heard good things about Vectra 3D from friends. The new Bayer Saresto collars are also supposed to be working pretty well down here.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 06:16 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am sold on the garlic for ticks and fleas in general though I have had to fight one flea issue with topicals

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 09:14 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I am sold on the garlic for ticks and fleas in general though I have had to fight one flea issue with topicals
I keep trying to get in touch with them at Springtime but they aren't around for the holidays. On the web it has where you click buy 2 of the garlic(powder) are two of them 48 or each one 48? I'm thinking 48 for two and then another one is free?

When I order 1 set of 2 it tells me I'm like $31 away from free product, then I update that to 2 and it gives me an option to pick free item but the granules are not one of them?

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 01-03-2015 at 09:22 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 09:33 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would just wait until you call them.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Elite Member

We are in NE Georgia and had great luck with BOG. We had two dogs that tended to pick up ticks even with the minimum dosage so I switched those to the moderate dosage and that did the trick. We didn't have any flea problems with that and we swim them very often in the summer as well and the BOG was effective. Several of our club members also use the DE and say how great that is. We have 5-6 dogs most of the time so BOG was very affordable for us but I also like the Preventic collars (although unsightly to me, and more expensive).

ETA: I use to use Advantix but had a VERY bad experience where all four of my dogs had a reaction and I came home from work/school with diarrhea and vomiting from every single one for about a week. They also lost a huge amount of hair. I avoid topicals if even remotely possible now.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
We are in NE Georgia and had great luck with BOG. We had two dogs that tended to pick up ticks even with the minimum dosage so I switched those to the moderate dosage and that did the trick. We didn't have any flea problems with that and we swim them very often in the summer as well and the BOG was effective. Several of our club members also use the DE and say how great that is. We have 5-6 dogs most of the time so BOG was very affordable for us but I also like the Preventic collars (although unsightly to me, and more expensive).

ETA: I use to use Advantix but had a VERY bad experience where all four of my dogs had a reaction and I came home from work/school with diarrhea and vomiting from every single one for about a week. They also lost a huge amount of hair. I avoid topicals if even remotely possible now.

I am in NE Georgia too! I really don't like the topicals either. I'm thinking about trying BOG. Do you use it year round?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I'm an "all of the above" consumer in the SE with regard to parasites! It doesn't have to be either/or -- use the natural stuff that's proven to work for you, and fill in with synthetics when you need something more.

I douse the yard regularly in Wondercide (cedar oil), and has it kept it flea and tick-free (in Louisiana, that's saying something). However, we go to lots of dog parks and other outdoor recreational areas that are loaded with fleas...and Advantage Multi has worked great for us (it's also our HW preventative, since it has an extra ingredient for that).

I've heard good things about Vectra 3D from friends. The new Bayer Saresto collars are also supposed to be working pretty well down here.

I've been looking into the Seresto collar because it is a good price and it releases the chemicals slowly over time without using a topical. That is impressive about the Wondercide! How much do you use?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 12:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annap24 View Post
I've been looking into the Seresto collar because it is a good price and it releases the chemicals slowly over time without using a topical. That is impressive about the Wondercide! How much do you use?
I use Scalibor Collars and they work well(they are water resistant) and I have swimmers. The Seresto Collar is reduced from 8 months to 5 months if dogs swim more then 1x a month.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I use Scalibor Collars and they work well(they are water resistant) and I have swimmers. The Seresto Collar is reduced from 8 months to 5 months if dogs swim more then 1x a month.

Good to know! My Lab is a swimmer for sure, and Reagan likes to swim occasionally. I'll look into the Scalibor collar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page