Can't seem to shake these fleas!!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Can't seem to shake these fleas!!!!

I have been battling with fleas for close to a month now!!! I refuse to purchase, advantage, revolution or anything of the sort.
I have given all animals (Bob and 2 cats) in the house dawn dish soap baths, vacuumed continuously with borax, all laundry has been washed with borax.
Garlic, apple cider vinager, cinnamon have all been added to diets.
HELP!!!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Candice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 07:42 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Are you giving the springtime garlic granules?

If you have an infestation you may need to resort to chemical treatments until it is under control. Have you bombed your house? Put diatomaceous earth in all the cracks. Have you treated your yard with beneficial nematodes (they work very well)

Are your cats inside only or inside-outside?

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Are you giving the springtime garlic granules?

If you have an infestation you may need to resort to chemical treatments until it is under control. Have you bombed your house? Put diatomaceous earth in all the cracks. Have you treated your yard with beneficial nematodes (they work very well)

Are your cats inside only or inside-outside?
The cats are indoor cats.... Who escape from time to time....
Where can I find diatomaceous earth?

Also he gets fresh garlic or garlic powder if no fresh on hand

Candice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_barker View Post
I have been battling with fleas for close to a month now!!! I refuse to purchase, advantage, revolution or anything of the sort.
I have given all animals (Bob and 2 cats) in the house dawn dish soap baths, vacuumed continuously with borax, all laundry has been washed with borax.
Garlic, apple cider vinager, cinnamon have all been added to diets.
HELP!!!!!

Many years ago I moved into a home with two dogs, and they had never had fleas in their lives. The house we moved into was crawling with them. After trying everything you have tried for about 2 years, I put my guys on Program. It renders any fleas that bite them sterile. I continued with the vacuuming and topical things, but within 2-3 months the fleas were gone, and we never had an infestation again. Fleas live and lay eggs in the carpet, dog bedding, furniture, etc., while they feed off your dog. The Program stopped the whole cycle, and I never had to use it again. (You do have to continue frequent vacuuming, however ) And, as far as I knew, the dogs never suffered any ill effects.

Susan
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:26 AM
Crowned Member

There comes a point where you have to do something that gets rid of them due to the health impacts that fleas can have on them. Not only that, fleas ride along on whoever, so you are now a person taking fleas with you to all the places you go. Which exposes those peoples' animals as well.

Fleas shutdown Salinas library | Salinas News - KSBW Home

Mystery fleas shuttered a county courthouse in New York for two days - The Washington Post

The Dangers of Fleas in Cats - Page 1 keep the cats in or you will just continue this on and on and on.

So you may have to use some products you don't want to that people can explain better with the bombs, etc, things like Capstar will kill them right then and there - and then go on. Talk to your vet - mine respects that I try to keep them off topical products or anything for fleas/ticks that is chemical, but they also know I will listen to them if something like this happens, which it did with a foster puppy once.

http://youtu.be/cTMkxhPtFfw

http://youtu.be/iGOJNDJ6Kv0 (this was too graphic for me even though it was fleas)

Not recommending Capstar/endorsing it, but imagine this!

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:39 AM

Homemade Flea Killer With Natural Ingredients | eHow

When I lived in MS fleas were very bad. I did a combo of the mule team borax, dawn dish soap baths, and included the garlic in food and the citrus flea spray in the link above. However these things didn't stop the cycle of eggs hatching so I had to bomb the house twice.

Have you flea combed your cats? Check their arm pits, their chin/neck, and the base of their tails.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Crowned Member

If the fleas are winning, you really need to pull out the big guns, otherwise you won't be able to get ahead.
Treat them with something, treat your house, get rid of those things because they carry all kinds of evil parasites, including tapeworm.

The holistic veterinarian here uses Advantage on her own dogs. Sometimes you just have to squeeze your eyes tightly shut and use the strong stuff.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Elite Member

what I have found that's also helps, is the carpet treatment, the powder, dump some in your vacuum cleaner, and leave it in there, put more in when you change bags or empty it,

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 09:22 AM

Red ceder chips work well
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 09:51 AM
Crowned Member

I agree--treat with Advantage once at least, to get control of this situation. Spray your yard monthly (or even biweekly) with Wondercide (I think that company makes a home product too---check the website--all their products use cedar oil). Vacuum daily. Get them under control before your month of protection with Advantage lapses.
http://www.wondercide.com/

Stop bathing your dogs in Dawn. It's too drying (and not all that natural...given your goal). I've had good luck with this shampoo on the flea-ridden foster dogs (which doesn't contain pesticides--but follow the directions EXACTLY):
http://www.amazon.com/DeFlea-Ready-Flea-Shampoo-33-8oz/dp/B001TI6GO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407591979&sr=8-1&keywords=de-flea+shampoo
If your dogs have been fighting fleas for a while, taking them in for fecal tests would be a good idea, given the tape worm risk.

ETA: make sure you bathe flea-ridden dogs correctly too--there's a technique to it. Start at the head. The fleas run back away from the flea shampoo toward the rear. By the time you get the tip of the tail, and between the toes, there's no where to hide. (If you start with the rear, they'll run to the head and hide in the ears and even the nostrils and escape the lather. That's what you want to avoid by starting at the head.)

Last edited by Magwart; 08-09-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page