Environmental Allergies and Raw Local Honey? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Environmental Allergies and Raw Local Honey?

I'm trying feeding my allergic dog raw, LOCAL honey for her allergies.

I have a few questions for those who've tried it. Has it helped your dog?

My dog has been on Reactine for a little while now to get the allergies under control. Will this reduce the effectiveness of feeding the honey, by helping her system cope? Should I take her off the Reactine? I'm afraid to, but I'd prefer to not have her on it forever.

Also, I saw some other products on the beekeeper's website.

One was raw honey with extra bee pollen added.

One was straight bee pollen flakes.

I also saw something there called bee propolis, which apparently helps the immune system?

Should I rather feed straight bee pollen, or feed the raw honey with the extra bee pollen added? Would this be better by having a higher concentration of pollen, or would it overwhelm her system?

Does anyone feed bee propolis? Do you do this every day as a supplement, or just if they are under the weather? (Evidently raw honey has a bit of this in it already, so maybe it's unnecessary?)

I'm just wondering if I should next time buy a different product?

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Crowned Member

Hi Blackshep!
Jax08 can answer your questions. If she doesn't see this, pm her. I've got some other things for you to try too! I'll post tonite or tomorrow morning for you.
Moms
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Woo!! Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Oh, and I should mention she's raw fed, and I give her organic ACV with mother and unprocessed coconut oil.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Crowned Member

Hi Blackshep!
Good for you with the raw food, coconut oil and ACV!

Sounds like right now you are committed to the raw honey since you've already purchased it. I would suggest contacting Jax08 to get more info and try it!

If you try 2 different type "therapy's" at one time, you won't really know which one helped!

If you don't get the results you want in several weeks, you may want to try the following from Elaine Reinhardt:

Specific supplements: “In most cases, Elaine Reinhardt says, underweight dogs or dogs with allergy symptoms begin to improve within a few days, and within a month or two, they have gained weight, their coats have improved, bald spots have disappeared, and they no longer chew on their paws. “The food that goes in stays in,” she says. “It doesn’t come shooting out the other end as bright yellow diarrhea. Seacure, Digestive enzymes, Systematic Enzymes, and Probiotics provide the deep nourishment that helps with these conditions across the board.” It may set you back $100 bucks but better to get to the root of the problem and try to CURE it or at least control it, not just cover it up with meds from the vet.

Here are the specific products.
SeaCure given with meals (this is the powder made for pets which is easier to use but I use the capsules made for human use):http://www.amazon.com/Proper-Nutrition-SeaCure-Powder-Grams/dp/B00062MODI/

Reinhardt usually starts with the label-recommended dose of ¼ teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight per day, but for dogs weighing over 100 pounds, she finds that 2½ teaspoons works well. “Larger animals don’t necessarily need a greater dose,” she says, “and dogs who don’t need a lot of digestive support do well on half the recommended dose.”

Probiotic with L sporogenes given with meals: BifidoBiotics with L. sporogenes 60 Vegetarian Capsules (F) by Allergy Research Group

Digestive Enzyme given at mealtime: Zygest 180 Capsules by Physiologics

Systematic Enzyme given IN-BETWEEN meals: Wobenzym® N 200 Tablets by Garden of Life

If you know that your dogs sensitivity problem is environmental, you would use SEAVIVE the sister to SEACURE. SEAVIVE adds bovine colostrum to the SEACURE + Beta-1,3-D glucan, and vitamin C. to build the immune system and aide in MANY other conditions!

I hope you find the answer! Keep us posted!

Moms
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Crowned Member

I tried local raw honey last year. My boy has Fall allergies, it's like clock work when the leaves start to come down. We have a farmer 10 min from my house with bee hives on the property (the honey is SO good).

I started to give my boy a tablespoon daily, by day 11-14 he no longer needed Benadryl. I was actually shocked it worked. It got us through the season..no insane itching resulting in secondary skin infections. I also feed raw.

I started to give it again for this Fall season my fingers are crossed it works again. So far so good. He gets so excited when he see's me get the honey bear and spoon out he starts to drool

I did consider the pollen granules but was advised it's very concentrated and could have the opposite reaction. So I never tried it.

Dr. Dodd's actually had this very topic on her blog a few weeks ago.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks you guys!

Momto2 - I'll look at those things. Would you keep up with the honey also?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Crowned Member

Here's a thread on it

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...allergies.html

I really think the success is based on what the animal is allergic too. If it's grasses, it probably won't help. If it flowers, weeks, anything with pollen, then it probably will.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 01:08 AM
Knighted Member

We tried local raw honey. At the same time we also changed diet and my dog has no allergy symptoms. I really don't know if the honey works, but we discovered some really fantastic tasting honey! It in itself is like dessert and for my dog it was a nice way to end the day with a tablespoon of raw honey.

I never liked honey until I tried the local raw. You should try some for both you and your dog, I've read it helps with blood purification.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 06:21 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
Thanks you guys!

Momto2 - I'll look at those things. Would you keep up with the honey also?
I would try the honey therapy for maybe 6 weeks? (Jax08 would know if this was long enough for a trial since I don't have experience with it)
Then move on to the combination I posted below if there isn't results with the honey.

PM me for more info if you do try the SeaCure. If your dog is grain sensitive change this
Digestive Enzyme given at mealtime: Zygest 180 Capsules by Physiologics
to this: Digestive Enzymes: Mercola Digestive Enzymes: http://shop.mercola.com/product/heal...mes,271,90.htm as there is a small amount of wheat/rice in the Zygest product.

Good Luck and keep us posted on what happens with the honey!
Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page