Turmeric - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Turmeric

I saw a "share" going around Facebook on the benefits of Turmeric. A spice you can buy in any grocery store.

The day after I glanced over the information, I had a lump removed from my dog's leg. So, I did further reading online. There is a lot of information about giving turmeric to dogs and a lot of benefits. Here is a list from just one website. You can Google "turmeric dogs" and find a lot of information.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/turmeric-dogs/

In a study at UCLA, doctors found that curcumin seemed to block the cancer promoting enzyme that stimulates the growth of head and neck cancer. The Department of Small Animal Clinical Scientists has conducted studies that show that curcumin can inhibit tumor growth and may even shrink existing tumors. This has to do with the spice’s amazing ability to shut down blood vessels that feed tumors.
Antioxidant properties are also helpful in reducing the negative side effects of chemotherapy.
Now, we are not saying turmeric is the only thing you should do to prevent, control and/or treat cancer; however, it certainly has us excited about its anti-cancer properties.

If we haven’t already convinced you about the health benefits of turmeric, here are a few more uses:
·Aids in the treatment of epilepsy
·Helps relieve allergies
·Helps in preventing the formation of cataracts
·Used in treating depression (Yes, dogs can get depressed too)
·Kills parasites
·Heals stomach ailments, aids in digestive disorders, and reduces gas and bloating
·Acts as a binding agent and therefore great for treating diarrhea (Make sure you have lots of water available for your pet to drink!)
·Aids in fat metabolism and weight management
·High in fiber and rich in vitamins and mineral

Also see Turmeric for Dogs, Cats

"And why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Crowned Member

Curcumin has many, many studies out there.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

I wish I would have known about it 5 years ago when my dog died of cancer after spending $7000 on treatments.

"And why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Crowned Member

Well..it's not a cure but can be used in conjunction with western meds. It has very high anti inflammatory and anti histamine properties and from what I"m reading a high majority of cancers start with inflammation and histamine responses. So, in my opinion, it is a great preventative herb. Also reading that marijuana may have anti-cancer properties as well.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I was giving preventive turmeric but both times I found it seemed to the cause for making my dog's urine too alkaline so........I really backed off.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Crowned Member

For it to be effective it has to be 95% standardized extract (curcumin), grocery spice would not be beneficial, and if not organic it is irradiated and looses most if not all medicinal properties

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Also reading that marijuana may have anti-cancer properties as well.
Wonder if one day vets will have the authority to issue "Medicinal Marijuana" cards for their animal clients.

Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Wonder if one day vets will have the authority to issue "Medicinal Marijuana" cards for their animal clients.
I hope so. Think of all those anxiety ridden dogs out there that could just be happy and hungry!

Seriously though, they are giving it to children for seizures that are otherwise uncontrollable. It's helping with pain and given to the terminally ill. The problem is that the pharmaceutical companies can't make money off of something you can grow in your kitchen window...or your upstairs bathroom window...just sayin'

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Crowned Member

Medical mj comes in a lolipop form, maybe they can make it liver flavored for the canines?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Medical mj comes in a lolipop form, maybe they can make it liver flavored for the canines?

They would have to make it something people won't eat!!! Liver would do!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page