Itchy - not fleas or mites - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Itchy - not fleas or mites

My 6 month old male has become itchy the last week or so. I took him to the vet today after I noticed thinning fur and scabs. She said its not fleas or mites (she did scrape sample.) She said the scabs and thinning hair is self inflicted from him itching. However, she doesn't know what it is. She's not sure if its allergies, though she said he's kind of young for that, or bacterial or fungal. Just wanted to know if this sounds familiar to anyone and how would you treat it? Right now I'm spraying him with diluted apple cider vinegar, as well as adding some to his water. I am also putting a topical ointment with emu oil and other healing and anti-fungal/bacterial herbs. Trying arsenicum in a 30x as well. Need to get my poor boy some relief!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Tami

Strider - GSD 12/17/12
D'Argo - Rottweiler 5/17/01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 12:49 AM
Master Member

What are you feeding him? My dog is allergic to wheat. I didnt know it as I feed orijen dog food but I was giving her treats that where full of wheat. After 2 weeks of using them I noticed her being super itchy. I stopped using them and the itching went away. It is fairly common for GSD's to be allergic to wheat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Lulu) Selma Zet Eurosportu CA CGC
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

We have him on a raw diet. His treats have wheat in them but he honestly doesn't get those very often. Maybe I'll start with curing this out completely. The only other thing he gets is peanut butter, but he's always gotten it, so it would be odd that an allergy would just now start.

Tami

Strider - GSD 12/17/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Crowned Member

I like what you are using for treatment.

Are you using anything vet scripted? Like spot-on HW/Flea prevention?

Did you have a recent vaccines?

You can try Bovine Colostrum from Proper Nutrition (40% immunoglobulin, casein and lactose free).

A lot of dogs are itchy post vaccine series, especially if rabies done at same time - vaccine reactions can happen at anytime and affect the immune system - yeasts tend to proliferate.

Add in a probiotic (human is fine) too.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Crowned Member

What EXACTLY are you feeding? Any supplements?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Crowned Member

It may not be an allergy.

I've seen that kind of skin in several fosters, esp. in the back area just above the base of the tail. There are big flakes of skin or scab bits that show up in the coat in that area. As soon as I see it, I reach for medicated shampoo. I was told by my vet that it is yeast.

If that's what yours has, it's easy to get rid of by shampooing with Chlorexadine 4% (non-prescription, anti-bacterial shampoo). It's sold by vets, online or at specialty animal supply stores (not Petco/Petsmart AFAIK). I just paid $10 for a bottle at a local supply store, and it's $30 from my vet. That shampoo has worked some near miracles in itchy, miserable shelter dogs.

The Chlorhex bath may need to be repeated in a week. It also needs to sit on the skin for a good 5-10 minutes (follow bottle directions). It's an easy thing to try, pretty low cost and it will either work or it won't -- if not, you can move on to allergies or other possibilities.

I would also consider adding some organic, unrefined coconut oil to the diet (it combats yeast and many other things from the inside). Just start out very small, as a sudden yeast die off could make him feel lousy ("herxing"). I personally start them with less than 1 TEAspoon total, and slowly work up to around 1 TEAspoon per 10#.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMom View Post
My 6 month old male has become itchy the last week or so. I took him to the vet today after I noticed thinning fur and scabs. She said its not fleas or mites (she did scrape sample.) She said the scabs and thinning hair is self inflicted from him itching. However, she doesn't know what it is. She's not sure if its allergies, though she said he's kind of young for that, or bacterial or fungal. Just wanted to know if this sounds familiar to anyone and how would you treat it? Right now I'm spraying him with diluted apple cider vinegar, as well as adding some to his water. I am also putting a topical ointment with emu oil and other healing and anti-fungal/bacterial herbs. Trying arsenicum in a 30x as well. Need to get my poor boy some relief!

I think that Sulphur, or Rhus Tox might be more beneficial for the itching.
Also try Coconut Oil (non-gmo, no hexane, organic) as a topical and in his food.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

I love your suggestions! I have organic, non-GMO coconut oil. I'm going to add that to his treatment ASAP as well as the probiotics.

We currently feed chicken, beef, pork chicken liver/gizzards and occasionally fish. We do supplement with vitamin E and omega 3's. I actually think it may be a healing crisis. We are doing minimal vaccines (parvo and distemper only) of which he received for the last time when he was 16 weeks old.

I was thinking sulphur may be the way to go. I also have rhus tox, so I'll look into both of those.

Thank you so much!

Tami

Strider - GSD 12/17/12
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and we haven't done rabies yet. I'm waiting as long as possible, and now that we have this skin/itching issue, I'm really going to wait!

Tami

Strider - GSD 12/17/12
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMom View Post
Oh, and we haven't done rabies yet. I'm waiting as long as possible, and now that we have this skin/itching issue, I'm really going to wait!

Waiting on the Rabies...........EXCELLENT choice!!!!
If you haven't been feeding raw for very long this could be a healing (Detoxification) and that's a GOOD thing!
For treats, get a piece of round steak, cut off all of the fat, braise it on both sides, cool and cut into narrow strips with scissors. Then take those strips and cut into small dime size pieces, put in several baggies and freeze. Pull a small bag out as you need them! You can do the same thing with calves liver, you'll just have to blot well before cooking and drain during cooking.
Keep us posted!
Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page