Anybody skip the puppy vaccine series? If so, what do I need to have on hand in case - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Anybody skip the puppy vaccine series? If so, what do I need to have on hand in case

My pup has had one round of shots from the breeder. Distemper, parvo and adenovirus. I am personally against vaccines for many reasons I won't go into here but I have limited knowledge on puppy vaccines. I believe most of what I've read concerns adult dogs.

Has anybody only done one round of vaccines with their pup? I honestly am worried about vaccinosis occurring from over vaccination. Though I HATE this fear motive instilled into people about "if you don't vaccinate, she'll get sick and die!" Which I don't believe but is like to hear some experiences and get some preemptive naturals on hand, or even cures.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Crowned Member

Parvo is no joke.
Neither are the other illnesses for which dogs are vaccinated.
Vaccinate your dog, and titer after she acquires immunity if you don't wish to over vaccinate, but honestly, not doing so is playing Russian roulette with your dog's health.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

No, I don't think even Dr Dodds recommends that.

One vaccination will do nothing for them; you need two given about 3 weeks apart.
The one given by the breeder is probably a wash due to maternal antibodies.

You can give two DAPP separated by the right time after the pup is about 10 weeks then about 3-4 weeks later pull a titer (all you can get on the titer is distemper and parvo that I know of but those are the likely ones). Dodds recommends a booster 1 year later then be done with it. The modified live virus in most DAPP vaccines is not one likely to cause reactions. It is the killed vaccines with adjuvant that are the most reactive (like the rabies vaccine which you must give, by law)

A lot of pups on this forum have caught parvo. It is a deadly disease. I did my titer after I boostered 1 year post puppy series.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Okay thanks. Follow up: wouldn't it be better to split them up a week or so apart? Distemper now and one week later parvo, then two more weeks and distemper again, then another week and finish the parvo? Ideally it would introduce the disease to the pup one at a time giving her a better chance to develop an immunity, rather than her immune system identifying both together as one.

And doesn't a balanced raw diet do really well to fight all the diseases and potential damage from vaccinations?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:38 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Dr Dodds is as minimalist as I have seen on vaccines and this is her schedule.

Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol

Personally I would go ahead and give the adenovirus because it HAS recurred in the US coming across the Mexican and Canadian border. She took it off her protocol because there had been no cases in this country for many years but it is back. Also, you will spend a ton of money finding a vet with just parvo and just distemper vaccines unless you are working with a holistic veterinarian...and even so expect to empty your pockets for them.

I cross posted.......you can split the distemper and the parvo if you can find the single unit vaccines. They can be hard to come by, even for veterinarians. And a standard vet simply won't stock them, nor will a farm store.....Sure a good immune system is good but disease and death are still a reality.

I had a great uncle die from the measles when he was 13. His 10 brothers and sisters all grew to healthy adulthood before vaccinations were given to kids and lived a healthy robust farm life out in the country about as natural as you can get back in the early 1900s. Some earlier more wonderful "healty life" is no guarantee.

But you are fighting with fire when you fight with some of these diseases. As long as you aware they are very virulent, they kill dogs, even healthy dogs you have to figure what risks you will take.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 05-23-2013 at 08:45 PM.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Master Member

as much as I HATE drug companies for humans or furbabies...HATE them...I do get my pups vaccinated...my inside only cats have NEVER had a shot and wont' ever. That was the reason I got denied as a rescue home for a dog

I just can't chance it in our community ..there was a deadly outbreak of parvo not too long ago that cost a LOT of dogs their lives
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 05:47 AM
Crowned Member

One vaccination *will* protect....it has to be given after maternal antibodies wane, and the immune system is mature enough for long term immunization for hold. And the kicker is that these may be at different times for the core illnesses, which makes it nearly impossible for someone without lab access to determine the right timing to get it exact - you'd have to have separate vaccines too.

I'm sure that Kris Kristine has posted the new vaccine guidelines for pups in health, that show if the dog is vaccinated between 14 and 16 weeks, lifetime immunity is conferred in nearly all dogs. One shot will do it for nearly all dogs.

The problem is when the maternal antibodies wane and your dog is unprotected. This is why most people give multiple vaccinations spread apart, just so the dog isn't left unprotected.

Parvo and distemper are real. Revaccinating is different than initial vaccines. My girl was vaccinated somewhere around 4 months in the shelter, I didn't revax, and she titered fine a year later. Her rabies titered fine too, which was initially given at about 6 months old.

Last edited by LisaT; 05-30-2013 at 05:51 AM.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 06:45 AM

On my point of view, vaccination must be done by experienced professionals with care, then only it will work well...
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 AM
Elite Member

If you're that concerned I would give a DAPP at 12 weeks and another DAPP at 16 weeks and you're set. Rabies I would give no later then 6 months old. The number of times you vaccinate doesn't matter. As Lisa already said, it just depends on when mom's antibodies are gone. Not vaccinating at all is not recommended since parvo is life-threatening.

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 07:58 AM
Crowned Member

My adult dogs have not been vaccinated for several years except for their rabies as required by law.

Puppy vaccines and one year booster are a must. One of my H litter's owners was concerned about vaccines and ended up with treating her dog (had insurance) with bills mounting to over $10K - the dog was definitively diagonsed with distemper, and at a little over 2 years old was humanely put to sleep when the seizures and neurological deficiencies could not be controlled.

Do not skip puppy vaccines or first round of boosters.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page