8 year old female, arthritis supplement - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

8 year old female, arthritis supplement

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and am glad to be a member.

I am hoping for some advice on my issue. I have a great 8 year old Shepherd named Gina. recently she has developped some arthritis in the back and right knee. Vet has her on 50mg of Deramaxx a day (which I hate) and is very open to vitamin therapy. I am a strong beliver in natural vitamin supplements, I cleared up my grandmothers emphysema that way. Right now Gina is 110 pounds, very active. We notice the arthritis when she first gets up from sleeping and when facing stairs, she has "tightness" but no pain. Once up for a minute or two she can spend the whole say in the yard moving around, I just want to make her as comfortable as possible and not have to give more medecin.

Besides the deramaxx she gets 5ml of UBAVET for joints. I dont really like th eproduct as I find the doses of glucosamine etc... are not theraputic, also, I dont notice it helping much. I also give her baout 100mg of EsterC daily.

I want to switch to an intense vitamin therapy diet, I plan to use only the best quality supplements. Below is a list of what I want to start giving, basically I want everyones opinon on this as well as dosing info. Also would like to know what is better, Glucosamine sulfate or HCL?

Products I want to use:

1- Glucosamine
2- Chondroitin
3- MSM
4- Omega 3 wild fish oil
5- Vitamin E
6- Vitamin C

Basically I am willing to do whatever necessary to make her feel as good as possible, she loved to chase squirrels and I want to keep the arthritis away, and I have full faith in the above products. Please feel free to add any products .
Any suggestions, opinions and dosing info would be greatly appreciated. Note that she eats Orijen 5 Fish dry food, once daily mixed with a little Welness canned food.

Thank you all
Brad

Last edited by bradbmtl; 05-16-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 05:52 AM

It is such a shame with GSDs, just when you get them exactly how you want them the arthritus kicks in. The best thing i have ever found for it is a bioflow magnetic collar. You need to keep it on constantly and dont rely on it with a lead as the plastic clip will snap. I was able to get my old girl off painkillers with this. Also have you tried hydrotherapy,we found it a big help.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 06:52 AM

From experience and research….
Arthritis is partly from inflammation and calcium loss. No one ever says what it really is.
Societies that consume 6mg/day of Boron – A Mineral … have almost no Arthritis. Jarrow Formulas has a Triple Boron of 3mg/pill. A lower dose would benefit dogs. Boron helps keep Calcium in the bones… Duh !

Magnesium also helps keep calcium in the bones.. .and helps move it into the bones from the blood. Do not consumer Calcium with Magnesium at the same time… as it bonds the Magnesium up so it can not work. One only absorbs 5% of Magnesium Oxide pills.. and maybe 10% of others.. powder is more effective.. But one absorbs 50% of Magnesium Bicarbonate Water ! Plus you can make it yourself cheaply… by adding 3 Tablespoons of plain Milk of Magnesium to a liter of Carbonated water or better yet – Carbonated Mineral Water. Then Shake and chill the bottle twice. This has 1,500 mg of Magnesium in it then.. drink 1/3 bottle/day yourself without food… use less of course for dogs. Search the net for info. Small amounts (50mg?) of Zinc per day helps Magnesium work…

Chondroitin actually does not help arthritis studies show… so vitamin companies are going to stop adding it. The other supplements are great however.

Raw Unfiltered Coconut Oil is good for many things… Search for Arthritis + Coconut Oil.

Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) 4.5mg/day stops arthritis, cancer, etc… They also give it to dogs and babies at lower doses. Skip’s Pharmacy in Boca Raton, FL fills scripts for it for dogs. A Yahoo Group… LDN_4_Pets has discussions about it, and info on Vets who prescribe it. It is my #1 health tip to increase the Immunity & health… No one discusses how to increase one's immunity.

Systemic Enzyme Supplements are from plants.. Enzymes are involved in 3,000 adult body functions.. They reduce INFLAMMATION , including in the arteries which is where stroke and heart attacks start. Read the reviews on Amazon. They speed up healing and reduce pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:32 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdido View Post
Raw Unfiltered Coconut Oil is good for many things… Search for Arthritis + Coconut Oil.
I was going to add Coconut Oil as well. My mom started taking it several months ago and she has seen improvements with her arthritis.

It's good for many other things as well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Jake (DOB 1/25/2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 08:09 AM

We use Chondroitin with both of our senior dogs and it works well. THe one issue i have with it is sometimes they think they are super - dog and will do things that if they were not on it, they would never do. Have to pay attention and make sure they are not overextending their capabilities.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Crowned Member

there is a liquid product called Next Level made by Farnum which I gave to my old male for the last two years or so....

Farnam - Your partner in horse care
  • Exclusive fluid supplement helps keep joints lubricated
  • Powerful flex combination of every source of GAGs available
  • Contains glucosamine, shark cartilage, perna mussel, Ester C™ and MSM
  • Special bromelain enzyme solution absorbs quickly and digests easily
  • For horses and dogs
  • Available in 16 oz, 32 oz and gallon sizesEster C is a licensed trademark of Zila Nutraceuticals, Inc. and manufactured under U.S. patent 6,197,815
the website link has links to retailers too....

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
there is a liquid product called Next Level made by Farnum which I gave to my old male for the last two years or so....

Farnam - Your partner in horse care
  • Exclusive fluid supplement helps keep joints lubricated
  • Powerful flex combination of every source of GAGs available
  • Contains glucosamine, shark cartilage, perna mussel, Ester C™ and MSM
  • Special bromelain enzyme solution absorbs quickly and digests easily
  • For horses and dogs
  • Available in 16 oz, 32 oz and gallon sizesEster C is a licensed trademark of Zila Nutraceuticals, Inc. and manufactured under U.S. patent 6,197,815
the website link has links to retailers too....

Lee

I have heard really great things about this too. A friend uses it on their dogs and they make a horse version which she gives the race horses.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Crowned Member

First and foremost, talk to your vet about Adequan therapy. (There's also a generic form of it that's a little less expensive...I can never remember what it's called though--your vet should know). Adequan helped me get my dog off Deramaxx/ Rimadyl, and he's better now than he was on NSAIDs! There are lots of threads in the archives about Adequan--please read up on it, as I know of nothing as powerful to help arthritic dogs.

Adequan is a bit of a commitment (shots 2x a week for a month, then maintenance shots biweekly or monthly forever), but when it works, it's AMAZING. It helps the dog regrow new cartilage inside the joint instead of just masking inflammation. It can add quality, active years to your girl, and it's supposed to be very, very safe.

I wish it were recommended early in the onset of arthritis for more dogs, but a lot of vets don't seem to know about it and default to prescribing NSAIDs (my old vet did that too--I had to switch to a new vet to find one using Adequan successfully in arthritic patients). I'm very grateful to the people here who informed me about it--it helped my 11 year old go from a dog who moved slowly and gingerly when he wasn't on NSAIDs to one who doesn't need NSAIDs and is back to wanting to jog and play.

As for supplements, I think they important even with Adequan therapy -- same with regular, gentle exercise (it's very, very important for dogs with arthritis). My vet believes the best results for arthritis are seen with a multipronged approach that works synergistically (exercise, supplements, Adequan...and if needed, very low doses of the safest pain meds). We'll be adding acupuncture into the mix in the coming weeks too, now that I've located a local practitioner who specializes in dogs.

This thread describes the supplements I'm using, and I got lots of great advice in that thread:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ur-senior.html

I've since added coconut oil to the list.

FWIW, I've come to believe that the Collagen II (chicken sternum) supplement (Twinlab MaxiLIFE® Collagen Type II -- 60 Capsules - Vitacost ), which is high in hyaluronic acid, is important. The bone broth recipe described in that old thread by Gatorbytes inspired me to use this supplement, and I think it's a helpful addition (though one rarely on the standard list for arthritic dogs).
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Knighted Member

The number one thing to help with arthritis is to make sure your dog is not a single pound overweight. Actually a pound or two underweight is even better. 110 pounds is huge for a GSD, especially a female. Is there any fat that you can take off of her?

Second, I agree that Adequan is amazing! To save money, I purchase it online and give the injections myself.

Also, look into Microlactin, the active ingredient in Duralactin. It is a natural anti-inflammatory. I purchase straight microlactin online as it is much cheaper than the dog version, which is just flavored microlactin.

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 05:30 PM
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J
Zeel. It's homeopathic. Three tablets twice a day. I swear by it. I can tell when Rudy misses a dose.
He eats it right out of my hand.

Mary
I got a dog for my husband. It was a good trade.

Athena and Zeus
LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page