Fleas, ticks, heartworm protection...any ONE holistic treatment do all? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Fleas, ticks, heartworm protection...any ONE holistic treatment do all?

We recently purchased land and our dogs will be trekking through it. It has tons of deer so I need to add treatment for tics now that they will be exposed. They are on advantage multi but I'm going to have to put them on Advantix or Revolution for the tics if I can't find something holistic that works. Does anything work on ALL parasites including heartworm protection? I'd prefer going the natural route if I can. I have read that neem works well and have organic neem bark but not sure if it actually works and don't know if I trust their lives to using it alone.

Linda
Mom to Brandy-GSD/1 year and Skye-Cutie Pie Mutt/2 yrs old!! RIP my love Blue-GSD/Black lab mix 6/97-1/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Knighted Member

I have never found a product that I feel works for ticks. This year I am trying a new 8 month collar, Seresto. It is supposed to do fleas too. I use Hartguard at the moment, I did not find a natural product that I felt was good enough for heartworm.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Try the neem and do a daily tick check and that will tell you. I am also giving garlic [with care]. I am in a lot of woods. I assume signficant acreage? For a yard you can use beneficial nematodes - can even for large amount of land but it could be expensive.

I live in heartworm central so don't mess around with that.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Elite Member

Trifexis will take care of your fleas, heartworms, and intestinal parasites. Vectra is excellent for fleas and ticks (and flies!). My preferred combo is Trifexis and a Preventic collar. I haven't had issues at all, even out in hunting land or with the dogs in water. The Preventic collar lasts for us for about two and a half months before I start finding a tick or two behind their ears.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Crowned Member

Here is a recent thread about natural

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post3339777

M&J's suggestion (Bucks) is combo of neem, diatamacious earth and yarrow...

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Crowned Member

Please do not mess with unproven Heartworm preventatives, if you live in an area where it is common! If you guess wrong, and you live in HW country, you may be looking at up to a a $1000 vet bill to treat them (or even more in some large urban areas where vet prices are higher)--or a dramatically shortened lifespan for the dog, if left untreated.

I see so many HW+ dogs where I live, and the treatment is so hard on them (30-60 days of crate rest), I don't want anyone's dog to have to go through it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 06:55 AM
Crowned Member

We are definitely seeing HW+ dogs in WNY. A few reasons - hotter weather, less people spending the money on preventatives, vets who do not work with rescues or the public that treat all HW+ dogs who then don't see HW+ dogs, don't test yearly, saying it's not common here, "rescues" bringing dogs up from the south who don't treat and those dogs increase potential contagion, people treating slow kill so the dog is contagious longer, etc. We had 3 of 7 dogs treated 2 summers ago who were from WNY. Due to the cost that Magwart mentioned we try to pull dogs that we know are HW- whenever possible - HW+ also requires a foster home that can/wants to do the treatment. We have a local Goldendoodle that was just treated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page