Calming chews or drops, do they really work? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Calming chews or drops, do they really work?

I've been looking at natural remedies for anxiety/stress for Molly when it comes to travel, fireworks, thunderstorms. I spotted PetNaturals of Vermont calming chews and saw a few other types of products.

Has anybody tried this, or can you recommend another brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Crowned Member

Another kind is Rescue Spray. People can use it too. It can't hurt to try the remedies and see if you notice a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Crowned Member

The “Flower Essences’” are good but short lived and you have to keep administering it if the stress hasn’t abated.
Below, is what I used for many years with our first GSD who was afraid of fire crackers and storms. Funny thing is….when she knew a storm was coming (and I didn’t) she’d come and get me and take me to the closet where it kept it so that I would get it for her! LOL With her, I opened the caps and mixed with raw meat or peanut butter. They smell AWFUL but she at it happily. This is a human professional product. The following two methods are a rule of thumb for using human supplements for dogs:
  • 100 pounds or more gets the full human dose
  • 90 to 100 pounds get 90% of the human dose
  • 80 to 90 pounds get 80% of the human dose
  • 70 to 80 pounds get 70% of the human dose
  • 60 to 70 pounds get 60% of the human dose
  • 50 to 60 pounds get 50% of the human dose
  • 40 to 50 pounds get 40% of the human dose
  • 30 to 40 pounds get 30% of the human dose
  • 20 to 30 pounds get 20% of the human dose
  • 10 to 20 pounds get 10% of the human dose
OR
An easy way to convert the dosage for your dog is to take your dog's weight, consider it a percent, and multiply the recommended dosage by that percent. For example, if your dog weighs 20 pounds then you would give your dog 20 percent of the recommended human dosage. If your dog weighs 75 pounds they would receive 75 percent of the dosage.

Prof. Complementary Health Formulas - Tranquil Complex 60c
Price: $17.00
Ingredients:
Brain tissue (lyophilized) 200 mg Passion flower (Passiflora incarnata) 200 mg Valerian (Valeriana officinalis) 100 mg Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) 75 mg Niacinamide 50 mg Magnesium (aspartate) 25 mg Niacin (vitamin B3) 25 mg Pyridoxine (HCL) (vitamin B6) 25 mg 5-HTP 20 mg Riboflavin (vitamin B2) 10 mg Kava (Piper methysticum) 10 mg Zinc (amino acid chelate) 5 mg Chromium (GTF-niacin glutathione) 25 mcg

FROM: Prof. Complementary Health Formulas - Tranquil Complex 60c
or Tranquil Complex 60 Capsules by Professional Formulas

There also some homeopathic’s that you can use if you’d like to PM me for more info.
Some people swear by the “Thunder Shirt” but I have not had experience with it.
Good Luck!

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 05:06 PM

Have you tried or looked into Rescue Remedies?

Have you also considered looking into Thundershirt? I know a of a few rescues who use the shirt for the dogs who are fearful of fireworks and thunderstorms and they said that the shirt works great.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanShepherdDog View Post
Have you tried or looked into Rescue Remedies?

Have you also considered looking into Thundershirt? I know a of a few rescues who use the shirt for the dogs who are fearful of fireworks and thunderstorms and they said that the shirt works great.
My dog goes nuts with fireworks and storms and really hates it when the rain beats loud and hard against the windows. He just stands there barking at the window. I found that if I just lay a big fluffy towel over his back and pinned it closed in front works pretty well. I wasn't willing to pay big money for a Thundershirt which I think is basically the same thing. I also put some lavender essential oil on his ear tips.

It's not 100% but it helps keep my eardrums from bleeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page