Cranberry tablets for UTI's? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Cranberry tablets for UTI's?

Hi all,

I think Molly may have another urinary tract infection again ( vet first thing in the morning) but has anyone ever tried giving cranberry tablets to their dog to prevent this? My partner is a paraplegic and gets constant UTI's and cranberry does nothing for him and we have a million bottles of the stuff here so it got me thinking...scary I know I just googled it and saw that the recommended dose is 400 Mg per 20 pounds daily, would this be right? If so would it be OK to give with fish oil and Vit C? I am not planning on trying until she is better and I will ask the vet tomorrow but thought I would seek advice from here

Thanks in advance!

Miss Molly Moo (aka The Piranha/The four legged Mouth) GSD 31/10
Raennik Hassan (Cooper) GSD 19/10/11
Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Master Member

I know humans who have tried cranberry tablets, with no results. I believe it needs to be pure juice in order to be effective; though I have never had one so haven't tried it!lol It is important to determine why she is getting the recurring UTI's, treating the symptom isn't treating the source.

In the interim, you can try 2 tbsps of organic apple cider vinegar added to the water dish daily (there are more benefits to ACV than helping UTI's also).

Cantharis is a homeopathic remedy indicated for UTI's, you can find the pellets at some grocery stores and health food stores.

PS you can add the vitamin C and fish oil with this....

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Crowned Member

I think vitamin C is just as effective as cranberry. I personally had a UTI and started with EsterC, it cleared up before my dr appt.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 02:46 AM
Crowned Member

cranberry in particular inhibits the bacteria adhering to the bladder wall. vitamin c alters the ph to make it less hospitable to bacteria. I have never seen any reference that vit C can alter the adherence the way that cranberry can, but maybe it's out there. I do think that they do different things.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks for all the replies My vet is researching this for me too. But it turns out that she doesn't have a UTI. Still not sure what is wrong with her yet though...waiting, waiting, waiting for test results

Jane thank you, I may get some for Brad to try. It certainly is worth a shot!

Gib laut, thank you that is something I will keep a note of and try if there is a next time! Do you happen to know if that has the same benefit in humans too?

Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca View Post
Gib laut, thank you that is something I will keep a note of and try if there is a next time! Do you happen to know if that has the same benefit in humans too?
Yes, it does....a remedy is selected by the specific symptoms present, regardless of the species used on. They are very safe and although rarely, but when my dog needs any remedy and he hears the container rattle, he runs right over....he thinks it's a treat!

What are her symptoms?

entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you for taking the time to write Well she has has poop issues since the 22 July, I did start a thread https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-please-2.html and since then she has been back to the vets for blood and fecal tests.Blood work fine and still waiting for the fecal results. She had returned to her normal hyper self so that was great but grrrrr this morning Miss Molly renewed her subscription to the club Yellow, mushy and mucous (that part was orange). Rang the vet and he still does not have the fecal results back. So she started a 10 day course of Metrogyl tonight. She seems totally fine, full of energy and her usual hyper self, in fact I had both her sisters here for a while today and she was the one raring to go. I have fingers crossed that the test shows something.. Back on scourban and still just chicken and rice and some gatorade.

Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Master Member

thx....ya, doesn't sound like a UTI....the stool color indicates an imbalance in the GI system somewhere....can be something like Giardia (btw the tests have a very high level of inaccuracy) or even colitis. Slippery elm is highly effective with loose mucous like stools, so is adding psyllium husks to each meal (bulks the stool). That and a diet change worked wonders with our female with colitis. I would add probiotics when giving antibiotics to help restore the good flora. If it is something like colitis, it is very susceptible to stress in the beginning of treatment.....and can come and go with no apparent cause.

-Euan Fingal

RIP

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Sorry I forgot to mention that her urine was tested so no UTI. And I have been giving her a probiotic. This dog is getting better nutrician than me at the moment! She was treated for Giardia so I really don't know what to think of now. Hopefully the antibiotics will do something and then see what the tests do or don't show. The vet has suspected enteritis from the beginning???psyllium husks is that similar to metamusil? And would that be Ok to give her with the meds? Thank you so much for your help

Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca View Post
psyllium husks is that similar to metamusil? And would that be Ok to give her with the meds? Thank you so much for your help
very similar....available in bulk usually at health food store.....it's a high fiber product so don't give them at the same time, at least 2 hours apart, ours gets one teaspoon per meal....but, yes it should be fine. And, no prob. just hoping she feels better soon!

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page