Acupuncture or Chiropractic care?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Acupuncture or Chiropractic care??

I want to get a "tune-up" done on Wolfie's back-end, for lack of a better term. Having never done either of these modalities on dogs, I have no idea which one would be better for hip related issues. There is no pain, Wolfie runs like the wind BUT his back-end movement doesn't look 100% to me. Bit wobbly, I suppose?? I know that's an inept description... Anyway, which one should I go with? What worked for you?

UConnGSD
Wolfgang vom Kolenda (Wolfie) 5/5/08 - 7/24/12 -- You taught me so much, sweet boy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foxy 8/13/12 (Gotcha Day -- 1.5 year old at adoption)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 12:30 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CHawkins
My vet provides a service called VOM or veterinary orthopedic manipulation. It did wonders for my shepherd's (who has since passed) mobility! Do some research on it!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Authorized Site Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHawkins View Post
My vet provides a service called VOM or veterinary orthopedic manipulation. It did wonders for my shepherd's (who has since passed) mobility! Do some research on it!
I would agree that VOM would be the best choice in this case. Between 1997 and 1999 Dr. Bill Inman, DVM and I did about 35 animal chiropractic seminars together around the country. In fact I got him started doing these types of seminars.
VOM means Veterinary Orthopedic Manipulation. The practitioners use an Activator or similar instruments to adjust the dog's spine. It is safe and easy to do and most dog owners do it themselves--and they should. It is not only a treatment but also used to prevent musculo-skeletal problems and genetic disorders such as hip dysplasia. Once you see it done once, you'll be able to do it yourself. It's not something that is done once or twice. In fact many dog owners do this procedure once a week at home for their dog's entire life.
Daniel Kamen, D.C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you, CHawkins & CanineChiro!! I will see if we have any chiropractors in our area who do VOM. I like the fact that it can be done at home by us, once we learn the right techniques. CanineChiro, I wonder if there is any DVD of this process available to train us??

UConnGSD
Wolfgang vom Kolenda (Wolfie) 5/5/08 - 7/24/12 -- You taught me so much, sweet boy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foxy 8/13/12 (Gotcha Day -- 1.5 year old at adoption)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Crowned Member

I have an activator here, and most likely do much of what VOM practitioners do (in general, VOM practitioners are not chiropractors). I find that it can help with muscle tightness and holding patterns, but that it is in no way a replacement for chiropractor care. My dogs, even after I use the unit on them, still need an adjustment by a "real" chiropractor.

I would be very concerned about most folks doing this stuff when they aren't under the supervision of someone that knows what they are doing - and to me, that means a certified chiropractor, not someone that took a weekend course in VOM. There have been times when I have done my protocol at home, and it has made things worse. The *only* reason I attempt these things is because I know that I have someone that can fix any problems that I might create. Btw, my understanding is that most VOM practitioners don't know how to undo the damage that they might do otherwise also. Had a VOM practitioner gotten a hold of my girl when I first had her treated, it would have been an utter and complete disaster.

Most folks that know me know that you aren't going to find a more pro-chiro person around. I think it's not just about not moving well because the spine might be "kinked", but the nervous system feeds so much in the body, the muscles, the organs, vision, etc., that I think keeping the spine in alingment and mobile is one of the healthiest things you can do for any animal, including us humans.

However, generally, I don't think that adjustments are a "do at home" process. I think general dog owners can do a heck of a lot of damage. And trying a lot of this stuff when you don't have a someone qualified to assist you, I think is foolish and dangerous. There's a reason why chiropractors are trained - it's because there is something to this "bone thing". I don't consider myself novice in this area, but I know that I could do a lot of damage.

That being said, I think a lot of the soft tissue stuff is great - I just think the do-it-yourself adjustment stuff is scary and cause for concern.

Last edited by LisaT; 07-24-2010 at 04:03 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanineChiro View Post
......It is not only a treatment but also used to prevent musculo-skeletal problems and genetic disorders such as hip dysplasia...... .
Dr. Kamen, I keep seeing this written and am unclear on the process...how do these techniques actually prevent hip dysplasia? I understand preventing arthritis, but not the HD part?

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Elite Member

They big problem I see with acupuncture and chiropractics is that the patient needs to believe strongly in that kind of therapy. That may be just a bit beyond the mental capacity of a dog... even a GSD. How do you instill power-of-suggestion in a dog? I'm not saying that voodoo doesn't work at all.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
Dr. Kamen, I keep seeing this written and am unclear on the process...how do these techniques actually prevent hip dysplasia? I understand preventing arthritis, but not the HD part?
I found it....PreventHipDysplasia.com

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
They big problem I see with acupuncture and chiropractics is that the patient needs to believe strongly in that kind of therapy. That may be just a bit beyond the mental capacity of a dog... even a GSD. How do you instill power-of-suggestion in a dog? I'm not saying that voodoo doesn't work at all.
I find that this isn't true at all. The biggest skeptics of all can find relief!

I think there is no question any more whether acupuncture, chiropractic, and muscle release techniques (like VOM) help dogs tremendously.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
I find that this isn't true at all. The biggest skeptics of all can find relief!

I think there is no question any more whether acupuncture, chiropractic, and muscle release techniques (like VOM) help dogs tremendously.
Sorry... I've been deeply involved in medicine and surgical care for nearly 30 years and while I do think that some of those therapies can provide temporary relief... as in, feeling a little better for a short period of time, structural orthopedic problems cannot be repaired with manipulation or needles in certain neuro-pathways. It's like saying that you can fix a bridge with cracks in it by having a shaman dance around it and offer beads with special properties. Offering the temporary relief is fine and admirable, but it is almost never a cure. Wish it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page