What is the best holistic method for ticks/fleas......... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question What is the best holistic method for ticks/fleas.........

Just wondering what all do ? This yr I am trying to go total natural & try not to use chemicals. Last yr I only used Frontline Plus once. So far I have not used anything this yr. Tonight I found my first tick ever on one of our dogs. I hate that.

Not sure if this is ok, but added a tad of garlic power on their kibble tonight.

Trying to learn all the holistic methods & would love to go this route.

Please share methods that have worked with ticks & fleas please...............

If garlic, not sure which kind, how much & how often to give ????

~Thanks~

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Crowned Member

I just found out about this and have two tags coming on Tuesday.
Home | shoo!TAG? - The chemical-free way to protect your dogs, cats, and horses from pests
It works on electromagnetic fields and no chemicals. My friend has a dog with seizures, she checked with her vet to see if this would harm him and the vet didn't seem to think so. Maybe worth a try? Look at the site and read the testimonials, horses seem to do well with it, too.
Downside is the dog has to wear a collar (other tags can't rub against it) and service dogs going thru store security may have the tag demagnetized.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Crowned Member

Bug Off Garlic for dogs-

Dog - Bug Off Garlic for Dogs - Springtime, Inc.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Elite Member

I feed Bug Off garlic granules. From springtime. The recommended dosage is one scoop per day per 60 lbs..... you work upto that amount to avoid stomach upset... and you can go as high as double of triple the dosage amount in high infested areas. Its takes continual feeding for about 3-4 weeks before the full effect is seen. Koda has been on it now for about 3 weeks and he was tick free after his hike last weekend.... and I live in N. Florida, so that was a miracle. lol

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Master Member

I'm lucky, no ticks since I moved to a new location...yet....but, I would try Rose Geranium Oil if I found one...I don't believe in giving my dog garlic so this one seems to have some positive results....there is another thread that is discussing RGO now....waiting to hear any more results from people.

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I would be game to hear about the RGO ! Keep me posted please. I have started using oils (spray on) & I like. They smell so good. I have used them also.

I'm not sure on the garlic thing. If it worked & didn't harm the dogs, would use over Frontline.

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Master Member

I sprayed down Nematodes in 2007, and haven't needed to buy any more yet. They are all natural and do not harm the animals or humans. Here is where I got mine at,
www.arbico-organics.com I have not had any kind of chemical, etc on my dog's (didn't need to) since I sprayed these down on my property.

Kelly S
Boeselager German Shepherds

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
diatomaceous earth is good for fleas. I use that and recently started Bug Off as well.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 02:53 PM

Send a message via MSN to Blitz1203
Blitz is on one of those flea and tick things the vet gave us.. I think it is Frontline. We've been going to a lot of fields and walking trails. I haven't noticed any ticks on him. He itches now and then, but I think it is allergies as I don't see any ticks. Though.. interestingly enough I've gotten a tick on me every day in the last 3 days. I've managed to catch them before they could do too much harm to me, but I'm looking for something to prevent this. *Wonders if they make something for dogs and humans heh.

Other odd item. The 3 ticks I've gotten have all be different types of ticks. First a deer tick, then a Lone Star Tick, and then a brown one I have yet to identify. I'm a bit Lyme Disease weary now. I've seen more ticks this week than I have at any other time in my life.

Proud Owner of Blitz
White German Shepherd
1.5 Year Old (Born 12/10/09)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Blitz, frontline is a chemical flea/tick treatment. The OP is looking for non-chemical, holistic methods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page