Raiki for dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Raiki for dogs

I might be spelling it wrong, but its prononced ray-key??? I think it was Jean that mentioned it somewhere way back when but I found someone that does this. She put an ad up in the Medical building I work in. I've left her a message to call me but I'm not sure she does dogs-thought I would try anyway.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Did it work? What kind of feedback can you offer? I would like to do it for Shoshi for her fears, do you think it would work for that? In particular I would like to address her fear of wind and rain. I would also like her overall stress level to be reduced.

What should I be looking for in a Raiki 'therapist' (or whatever they call themselves). How will I know she is able to communicate with Shoshi? The rainly season is mostly over now, should I wait until next years rains? I'd rather do something now but will it be worth it now? Do you think Shoshi will remember it by the time the rains come again?

Any feedback you can give me would be much appreciated.

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Crowned Member

Here is a nice article written by a Reiki master.

Dogs Love Reiki - Reiki Treatments for Dogs

Healing Hands: Reiki Treatments for Dogs by Reiki Teacher Kathleen Prasad

You should talk to the practitioner and get your questions answered. I enjoy Reiki and I would think your dog would benefit too.

You could even learn to do Reiki yourself!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Master Member

my only canine experience with reiki was with my previous boy....he died of liver cancer and I was rushing home to say my good byes....I didn't make it in time, but my aunt who is a RMT did reiki on him during the last moments.....everyone told me it was amazing how it brought him peace in his final moments....I was grateful he wasn't alone and that my aunt was able to do that for him.....I would for sure recommend it.....Like Samba says, talk to the practitioner, ask about her training, get all your questions answered and see how your girl responds to her when they meet.....I would also add that I am a huge supporter of using Bach's Rescue Remedy....it did wonders for my boy.....it does take some time (2 weeks) using daily if it is an on-going persistent anxiety,but you can also use it as needed when a storm is coming......good luck

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Crowned Member

Rescue Remedy and flower essences... lovely also. They might help your dog with fears and upset.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you all so much. I'm really looking forward to talking to her. I so would love for Shoshi to live without all the fear she sometimes has...its heartbreaking to see her when she's that upset and there is little I can do for her. Hopefully this lady will call me tomorrow and I'm off to read the info-Thanks for the link Samba.

Rosa

Mom to;
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib Laut View Post
my only canine experience with reiki was with my previous boy....he died of liver cancer and I was rushing home to say my good byes....I didn't make it in time, but my aunt who is a RMT did reiki on him during the last moments.....everyone told me it was amazing how it brought him peace in his final moments....I was grateful he wasn't alone and that my aunt was able to do that for him.....I would for sure recommend it.....Like Samba says, talk to the practitioner, ask about her training, get all your questions answered and see how your girl responds to her when they meet.....I would also add that I am a huge supporter of using Bach's Rescue Remedy....it did wonders for my boy.....it does take some time (2 weeks) using daily if it is an on-going persistent anxiety,but you can also use it as needed when a storm is coming......good luck
Just wanted to add that I am so very sorry for your loss but thankful that your Aunt was able to help your boy in the end. That really is a blessing.

Rosa

Mom to;
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilohsmom View Post
Just wanted to add that I am so very sorry for your loss but thankful that your Aunt was able to help your boy in the end. That really is a blessing.
Omg that's very nice of you thank you....you know, it was hard but his death is what made me re-assess how I raise my dogs and in fact, my own health....so I guess if it weren't for that experience life could be different....it is hard to see them live in fear....she is lucky to have a mommy who is willing to do what it takes !!!......if you're not familiar with Bach flower essences, here's a great link with an article on how to use it and some case studies...

Welcome to Bach Flowers for Pets

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Crowned Member

Have you thought of massage therepy also?I'm working with a member on here that does massage and Reiki on Athena's issues.She hasn't done a real reiki session on her but she incorporates it into massage.If your interested in learning lots I'll let her know there are people interested and have her answer your questions.She has a FB page called Kneadful Touch if you're interested.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 05:06 PM

I had a lady that used to come down the yard with her daughter (she was a registered nurse) and kobe never really had any time for her (she never brought any carrots!) until one day he kept going up and leaning on her. She patted him then said he has a sore back? He hadn't shown any signs he was in pain. She did say she didnt know how it worked or how she knew but she ran her hand approx 4inches along the length of his spine and one area all the hair stood up on end, this she did a couple of times always the same area, she didnt touch him, she then asked if i would mind her treating him "sure go ahead" she massaged around his head and ears. when she ran her hand along his spine no hair stood up he ran off then a few minutes later came back sat in front of her licked her hand then took off again. Guess he was saying thank you. So my one experience of reiki was strange but good definately worth giving it a try.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

My thanks all. Unfortunately, we had a power failure in my building today so I didn't hear back from her...I called but again got her voice mail....will try again tomorrow if I don't hear back from her. I'll check out those Bach flowers for dogs as well...thats new to me.

For the most part Shoshi has made tons of progress but she is still terrifed of the wind and rain. We don't get that much rain but wind...thats a hard one. The worse part is when I'm at work and know its windy outside and know I'm not there to comfort her and remind her that she is safe.

I'll let ya know what she says.

Hugs,

Rosa

Mom to;
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page