Holistic supplements (extra) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Holistic supplements (extra)

So I decided to do some spring cleaning this week and found a drawer full of medicines and holistic supplements that were purchased for Siena that have not been used and is still within the expiration date.

I don't really want to just toss it out in the trash and it's been a year since we used them and thought there might be someone here (or probably many here) that might want what I have and can put it to good use instead of wasting.

If you are interested, please send me a PM. I am not selling this, but if you want to contribute to the postage fee, that would be accepted. I hope it is acceptable to put this in the forum. People have helped me so much, I think I'd like to help back

Here is what I have and all is digestive related in one form or another:

Prozyme Plus (Lactose Free) Enzyme Food Supplement - large bottle (300g) unopened. In addition, I have an opened bottle with net weight of about 75g. No expiration date noted. http://www.prozymeproducts.com/ProZymereg-Plus_p_4.html

Bene-Bac Pet Gel (live bacterial cultures) 4 tubes each 15g and one partial with 5g. exp. 5/2010
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=1231

The next two are all obtained from my holistic vet (as I could not find elsewhere). One was never used (but opened) and the other I may have used once or twice, I can't remember. The ingredient label for the first one below is very small, so hopefully I got the contents right...means nothing to me!

Liu Jun Zi Tang powder (contains Rx/Rz Ginseng, Rhizoma Atractylodis Macro, Poria, Rhizoma Pinelliae, Rx/Rz Glycyrrhizae Prep, Pericarpium Citri Reticulatae, Rz Zingeberis Recens, and Fructus Jujubae) exp. 3/2011

Last but not least, I have Si Mao Wan powder (qty 60), exp. 03/2011

Any interest?

Diana - owned by Siena Rose (Oct 29, 2006)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Holistic supplements (extra)

Are you sure that you don't want to use the probiotics?

Liu Jun Zi Tang is also called Six Gentlemen, which is a pretty classical formula. Max used to do very well on it, but he used the tea pills, which I think he can't tolerate, because they are sugar coated. If there are no takers on that, I might be interested in it, but I'm really hesitant to try anything on him right now. I suspect that there are lots of dogs on this board that could benefit from it:
http://www.acupuncture.com/education...s/luijunzi.htm

I don't know anything about the other herb:
http://www.activeherb.com/simiao/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Hi Lisa.
We use Pet Dophilus now and that is working really well for us. I wanted to buy fast balance gi at the time and thought this would be a good replacement, but it didn't work the same, so I only used a small amount then talked to the vet about alternatives for a long term solution. When she goes on antibiotics, then I give her the heavy duty stuff (fast balance) so her tum doesn't go nuts.

Thanks for the links. I never really knew what it was for (sad, eh?) other than to treat her tummy and lack of weight gain. I forget why we stopped but I think she was getting too many things too quickly and I didn't know what worked and what didn't so we started with the basics and never needed to go back to these. I kept them 'just in case'.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Crowned Member

I learned that Max can't have any herbs with a coating, which are typically sugary.

Let me know down the line if there are no takers -- seems for sure someone might want the first two, and some of the braver folks might try the others if they seem like a good fit!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

these are powders, so I'm not sure about coatings. We either put them in gelatin capsules or directly mixed in the food, from what I recall. I suspect the Prozyme Plus will be a good one for someone on this board

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Crowned Member

Because they are powders is why I think I might be able to experiment with them. BUT, I would defer to anyone else.

It's good that the Prozyme is the lactose free one, i'm sure that someone can use that!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LisaTI learned that Max can't have any herbs with a coating, which are typically sugary.
LJ doesn't tolerate Chinese herbs and now I'm wondering if it's the coating. How would I know what the coating is?

Seven Forests Chiang-huo 13: chiang-huo, siler, tang-kuei, atractylodes, cinnamon twig, cnidium, peony, achyranthes, chin-chiu, tu-huo, rehmannia, hoelen, licorice.

Joanne

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LJsMomSeven Forests Chiang-huo 13: chiang-huo, siler, tang-kuei, atractylodes, cinnamon twig, cnidium, peony, achyranthes, chin-chiu, tu-huo, rehmannia, hoelen, licorice.
Wow, that's a lot of stuff It interests me to see what these things do. Maybe I should be taking some myself

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DianaB
Quote:
Originally Posted By: LJsMomSeven Forests Chiang-huo 13: chiang-huo, siler, tang-kuei, atractylodes, cinnamon twig, cnidium, peony, achyranthes, chin-chiu, tu-huo, rehmannia, hoelen, licorice.
Wow, that's a lot of stuff It interests me to see what these things do. Maybe I should be taking some myself
Hey, that's idea. It's for arthritis, and since LJ can't take it, maybe I will so it won't go to waste!

Joanne

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LJsMom
Quote:
Originally Posted By: LisaTI learned that Max can't have any herbs with a coating, which are typically sugary.
LJ doesn't tolerate Chinese herbs and now I'm wondering if it's the coating. How would I know what the coating is?

Seven Forests Chiang-huo 13: chiang-huo, siler, tang-kuei, atractylodes, cinnamon twig, cnidium, peony, achyranthes, chin-chiu, tu-huo, rehmannia, hoelen, licorice.
Here's LJ's: http://www.wellnessworks.net/page/WW...43c3e2c7abbdf6

I can't believe what dope I am. On Max's last herbal script, it even says, "sugar coated". I told the vet that they gave him an ear infection, she said it was impossible and it wasn't the herbs. First, that's the sign of a bad vet (not my usual one), second, I can't believe I didn't read the package!!!

Joanne, my super scientific way to determine the coating is whether it is smooth and shiny!! That's not 100% though!! I was talking to my regular vet about this, she said she only uses powders and capsules, not the tablets.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page