Chiropractic care? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Chiropractic care?

Hi-

Last week a trainer noticed that my 10 mo GSD Buddy could not sit for a long time. She said his toes stuck straight out and we should see our vet. Instead I called the breeder since she has been in the business for 40 years and she had me come out. She suspected his back/knee/or pelvis was the issue and had a chiropractor come out as he sees her dogs too. They both looked at Buddy and said he is walking on his toes. They also said two of his middle vertebrae were out of alignment, as well as his shoulder and one knee. Now, his was a runt and is skinny ( 58 lbs) and on a RAW diet as he is allergic to commercial dog food, but otherwise healthy. The dr. performed some adjustments and said to bring him back for another look on Friday. He'll need to be watched until he is two.
Well, since we came home he has been jumping around like a jackrabbit. We have a 7 month old hound mix that is the alpha and typically wrestles him and jumps on him etc. The breeder/dr says that's what may have caused these issues, or he may have fallen, etc. The dogs play rough and were outside most of the summer, so this is possible.
Does anyone have a similar experience?

Bev, Buddy and Trixie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Chiropractic care?

Yeah, they can tweak their backs (and even joints) doing all sorts of things, even jumping in and out of a car.

Regular adjustments will help them maintain mibility and keep structures moving. Some research shows that the adjustments that keep the joints moving, help delay arthritis even.

Both mine get regular adjustments. My little one for the last 8 yrs, and the GSD for about 6 yrs. How regular depends on the dog, activity level, bone struture, etc. Some dogs might do well with once a month or every other month or so. Because of chronic issues, mine go every ar or 4 weeks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Update-

Hi everyone-

Buddy has had three adjustments and is doing great. His trainer said he looks much better. He's also started to bulk up, which is good since at 10 months he only weighed 58 lbs.

Now he doesn't need any more treatments unless we notice limping or walking on toes again.

Bev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Crowned Member

Great news

I would probably have a tune-up every couple of months though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Crowned Member

Chiropractic does good things for dogs.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Crowned Member

A vet who is a chiropractor trains with us some. We noticed one dog was having trouble getting straight fronts. She adjusted him and he was fine. He had had a big crash playing with a GSD girl.

My old female loves her chiropractor.

Carla and The Pack
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:10 AM

could chiropractic care help w/ ear infections too? (along with diet)
growing up my mother always tried to take us to be adjusted brfore taking us to the M.D. How do you find a k9 chiro?
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, they can help with ear infections, though you still have to make sure the diet is right.

There's a sticky somewhere with a link, here or the senior section. *i think* it's http://www.avcadoctors.com ?

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the site, I found some one in the same city! I just emailed her!
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 AM

I'm just curious does every chiropracter use the same method to do adjustments? Mine uses a small tool that lightly bumps the area and gives a click at a certain frequency to adjust. It seems to be working and she doesn't mind it one bit.

Kat
Sophie

Hans NYCACC survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page