Which method would you use? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Which method would you use?

I am so hoping those with experience in holistic therapies and methods can guide me or offer ideas for which to try for a really odd problem I've never seen in a dog before, certainly never to this degree. It seems to be a neuro issue, to be truthful-- the way the dog is wired. So, really want to find a therapy to ease this for him and us.

I am getting to the root of what is problematic with Grimm. He has a strange tendency (I have NEVER seen this before) to see something he wants to greet (usually a dog, sometimes a dearly loved guest), and he suddenly gets this extreme intensity that rapidly SKYROCKETS-- right through the roof. Not only I can I not really control him then, but he also cannot control himself. The skyrocketing intensity suddenly turns into an explosion-- where he bolts right towards the object of his greeting-desire. The tension just boils right over, and he detonates (bolts headlong towards the dog or person he wants to greet). He is otherwise a good boy, but becomes "easily aroused" to the extreme. It's as if he is FINE until he sees something he must have. (wants to greet) Then, the intensity suddenly is there and just skyrockets. (yes, done the training to re-focus him, left turns, sits, downs, etc.) The current running under the surface is too powerful.

Done the sit/wait/give focus/wait for release command for each meal, and in coming through all doorways, since he was 9 weeks old. It hasn't helped-- because even HE cannot truly control himself when the sudden intensity happens and shoots right through the roof.

This is something to do with the way Grimm is wired. This is a neuro issue. While he is very immature (to be expected with Czech lines) at his age, most young dogs do not have this bizarre, sudden intensity to get to who they want to greet and then explode to get there. This is WAY more than a simple impulse control issue or training/managment concern, since we've incorperated "wait training" into our daily lives since day one.

It is the <span style="color: #FF0000">tendency</span> for these "sudden intensity skyrocketing into explosions" to happen, that I need to find a way to address.

Chinese Traditional Medicine herbs to rebalance a system that is running on extreme high-speed? Homeopathy? bach flower too gentle? Ideas?

This isn't normal. This isn't just an active overgrown pup with poor impulse control.. there's an underlying current that only gets activated when he wants something. (usually, to greet a dog or person) yes, I am delighted he is friendly and not aggressive-- but this tendency to explode is extreme. He is just simply wired that way.

Ironicly he is otherwise a GSD who is calm in the house, settles immediately after entering the house, never destroyed anything as a puppy, never nipped, never chewed, never needed to learn bite inhibition.

Also ironicly, he is only a medium-energy GSD who is "done" after maybe 10 mins chasing thrown rubber balls. Low excersise needs compared to other GSDs I have had. He never paces in the house. He's a blob. If he is exhausted by too much excersise, it does NOT effect this tendency to have the sudden intensity/explosion when he sees another dog or beloved guest. He gets the extreme sudden intensity and detonates the same regardless of excersise.

Which therapies may be best for preventing him from getting so easily aroused! i want him to be at peace near things he wants, instead of at the mercy of skyrocketing arousal/intensity/explosions.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Which method would you use?

Would Rescue Remedy work? I bought some for missy and obviously I don't need it

If you want I can smuggle it to you its for pets

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you Dawn, I thought about that, too! Unfortunately I kinda think it would be like tossing a cup of water on a raging housefire, though. The problem is way beyond extreme.

I think I need a longterm re-balancing thing, or a daily holistic medical management plan for this like daily Chinese herbs, daily homeopathy, or something. This is an extreme weird wiring problem. he goes through the roof and explodes.

I am hoping all is okay with Missy Choco-Moo. I am following her thread, and sending you mondo good luck vibes for the vet's!!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Crowned Member

you give it daily!!
if you want it I'll send it to you
I hate to see it go to waste
you let me know

I think he will calm down in a year or so
he is still a pupper and loves everyone

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Knighted Member

Patti...I am wondering, you got my wheels a turning. My son, Brayden is on the Austism Spectrum. Because of this he can become easily stimulated by certain things that go un noticed to us. Some things he is over-stimulated by and others he is under-stimulated. I wonder if some sort of therapy (sensory integration) might could help. I have no clue how you would find someone willing to try it on a dog, but maybe someone could offer you some suggestions.

Even though Grimmi seems to be wired this way, that doesn't mean he can't learn to keep it under control to an extent. Will it be a challange for him, yeppers. And it will take alot of time and consistancy, but I am confident he can learn to control this. And perhaps using some sort of homeopathic therapy to kind of tone him down while you work him in these situations can speed it up a bit.

Hopefully someone can offer you some advice, but I will keep this at the top of my thoughts.

~Alison

Shadow-10 year old GSD (03-16-99)
Duchess-4 year old GSD (11/04)
Gianna vom Wildhaus-GSD (3-2-09)
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:09 PM

Hi Patti,

I'm no behavorist but, it seems like you need a very experienced behaviourist along with calming meds. Someone who also has a pack of balanced dogs that Grimm can intermix with. This is hoping that he will gradually learn to control himself and learn from other balanced dogs all while under meds to calm himself down. Then, the human aspect again with meds and training.

I've seen dogs that are genetically wired to extreme excitement and no workout, running, walks or excercise will help. The dog can be extremely tired yet, the neuro part of him will kick in and his andrenaline will push it over the top and he becomes arouse in a fraction of a second.

The hardest part I would guess is finding the right behavorist with a pack of dogs. Someone like Ceser Millan (althought I don't all agree with him sometimes), but a similar short term work is needed in this case I assume. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dan
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Knighted Member

Is Grimmie's diet high in carbohydrates?

Joanne

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Dawn, thank you! I may take you up on the offer anyway when I get back. I am so sorry that it didn't seem to help Missy Moo as much as you'd hoped. Unfortunately, this is way more than "excited teenager dog." It's sudden extreme intensity that rapidly builds until he explodes. Never seen this before even in young dogs. VERY weird.

GSDLove212, thank you for thinking about this and keeping it in your thoughts! I am truly baffled, because I have never seen anything like this before. But autism spectrum disorders come to mind too here. My sister's son has sensory intergration disorder, and she brushes him with a plastic brush, It makes s difference! WQith Grimm, this is extreme, bizzarre, and something oddly neuro. I am hoping something out there might help!

Dan, thank you for posting! Yes, Grimm needs work, for sure, and a behaviorist would be ideal. But, this also is something physical-- is how he is wired. It is truly extreme, and ironicly, he is not a high drive dog, either. I am hoping to get a behaviorist-- but need to find one who can offer me more than I am doing now myself (the sit and wait and give focus before eating, before released to come through doorways, etcv etc.. we're already doing that and have been since 9 weeks.. hasn't made a dent)

This sure is strange. I've never seen anything like this before.

Patti
Frauchen von:

post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Joanne, he is raw fed, so very little. But you are right, carbs can make things worse. Right now, he is eating some carbs in homecooked chix and rice, and yes it is maybe a bit worse, but overall, this seems to be something other than carbs, as it happens even on his usual raw.

Dan, he actually just got back from a send-away with extensive follow-up with me for a Cesar Millan-type training where he was turned out with a pack for 10 hours a day. It helped. But the underlying hidden current was still there, waiting to eriupt into the intensity when he saw a trigger. So, very frustrating that this happens.. we both feel overwhelmed when it happens, both Grimm and I. Am hoping for a therapy to help, since we will look for a training club and behaviorist-- although most trainers probably have in fact not seen this. This is (otherwise) not a hyper dog. Very odd.

Patti
Frauchen von:

post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Crowned Member

If possible I would recommend a consultation with a holistic veterinarian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page