Besides food & water, what else do you give? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Besides food & water, what else do you give?

I want Nara and Paw Paw to be as healthy and happy as possible, so here's my question: besides the basic care of a good food (we give Wellness CORE) and water, do you give them anything else? I'm asking about supplements or anything that I might not know about. Please let me know what brands you give, and why you chose that brand over another. O, and we also give them Wellness grain-free jerky treats and Innova EVO grain-free treats for training purposes.

These are my first 2 dogs, and everything is going fine, but I see talk of people giving all sorts of things to help with hips or coat or eyes, etc. What do you give, and why? What are the essentials for a 100% healthy dog? I've started them on a glucosamine supplement with chondroitin to help avoid hip/elbow dysplasia, but so far they don't seem to have any joint problems, so that's good.

We're trying to stay as close to a homeopathic/holistic/organic/grain-free lifestyle for the pups as possible, just so you know in advance. Thanks for any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Elite Member

Re: Besides food & water, what else do you give?

I am not even so sure supplementation is really necessary...with the high quality dog foods that are available, now-a-days. However, I do supplement with Animal Naturals Showstopper, Wholisitc Pet Wild Salmon Oil and Wholistic Pet Kelp . I also feed lots of raw meat and bones, some cottage cheese, beef and chicken liver, various raw vegetables, cooked rice and at the most twice a week they get some Merrick canned dog food mixed in.

I never have any problems with them turning their noses up at anything, they will eat just about anything, including lettuce and cucumbers!

They have glorious coats,clear eyes, no anal gland or ear problems and pearly white teeth. I say that I use Crest White Strips on their teeth, hahaha!

You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Besides food & water, what else do you give?

A lot of us have "issue dogs" and treat for that.

I'm one that thinks kibble is neither complete, nor balanced. I don't think we know what levels of nutrients are needed for optimal health (including breed and individual variances), and the processing of kibble will also compromise the nutrients.

With that in mind, a variety of real foods I think would be a healthy supplement.

I am a believer in a good multivitamin type supplement, ground flaxseed (if there are no allergies), and additional amounts of B-vitamins. Don't really know what I would do if I had a healthy dog.....I would have way too much free time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:56 PM

Aside from our girl getting Wellness dry kibble, she also gets human food, just what we'd eat, mixed in with her kibble. She loves just about everything, we don't give her any junk (cookies, etc.) but she does get the occasional pancakes for breakfast on Saturdays when we have them. So long as your dog doesn't experience digestive upset, I would see nothing wrong with human food. My family has had many, many dogs who all lived well into their teens, who were fed mostly human food. Our girl is only 6 and very healthy, so, thus far, we've not seen a need for any type of supplements. In the past though, with our older dogs, we had given Cholodin for brain function, Ester-C which is an anti-oxidant, Condroitin for joints, cranberry supplements for kidney function, herbs from our holistic vet, and fish oil.

It is truly frightening to look at the ingredient list of some pet foods, and then go look up what each of those things actually is. Some of it doesn't even seem fit for driveway gravel.

Last edited by AnimalLover; 06-30-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: additional thought
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Crowned Member

You don't need to give any supplements to a healthy dog eating a premium dog food.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page