Bovine colostrum - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Bovine colostrum

It is amazing for humans externally and internally. I never figured it would be as good for dogs, don't know why, but today I read up on it and found positive testimonies all around. Any one on the board ever supplement with colostrum? If so, how did it work?

Blake - 2008/06/03
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Bovine colostrum

You do have to be careful of it in dogs that have any type of autoimmune conditions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Crowned Member

why? it's commonly used for people with allergies, there are numerous articles on using it for dogs with allergies and autoimmune issues so am I missing something?

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Knighted Member

I tried it once for Penny at the advice of a vet for her allergy symptoms. I noticed no changes so we didn't continue it. Other experiences may certainly vary.

Natalie

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Crowned Member

I don't consider allergies really an autoimmune reaction -- it's some kind of different hypersensitivity.

Colostrum will boost the immune system, and thus, it will increase any true autoimmune attack.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Fee
Master Member

I have used it on my previous GSD for immune boosting. Can't say for sure but I think it helped him. It was such a long time ago.
I haven't used it since (not needed) but a friend told me that calves suffer when it is collected from their mothers. I tried to google and got conflicting answers about this. The sites selling it said they are not suffering as the mothers have plenty.

Lisa is right, not good for auto-immune diseases. Moducare works better for auto-immune as it is immune modulent vs. boosting but that is best discussed with a (holistic) vet.

Years ago I have taken Colostrum 2 months before allergy season started and I had an easy time of it. I repeated it the next year, again for 2 months, and it kept me allergy free for almost 2-3 years after. I haven't used it again since I am unsure about the calves but it sure helped me.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Fee I haven't used it again since I am unsure about the calves but it sure helped me.

I tried it once, my thyroid swelled terribly (autoimmune thyroiditis). I would try it for allergies if it weren't for that!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:25 PM
Crowned Member

I used it for Rafi when he had his mange outbreaks. I have no idea whether it worked b/c I was using so many other things too!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Fee
Master Member

Lisa, try look into Moducare for your allergies:
http://www.moducare.com/prodconsumer...ID=47&LangID=2

I am going to start now (although a little late). I will also start using the neti pot which is supposed to help a great deal. Querceting also helped me. I am just not good looking after myself as I have either dogs or human emergencies non-stop *sigh and if I eat food that I am sensitive too, it triggers all kind of things. Do you have food sensitivities as well? Last year my mom also sent us a cream which is an allergy blocker (it's from Switzerland) and this worked so great. It is just hard to get here. If I think of the name I will let you know.
Good luck!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Crowned Member

Fee, thanks for the heads up. I used to take Moducare, I'll have to try it.

I use the NOW brand of bioflavanoids (along with my other vitamins) for my allergies (it does contain quercitin!), and they have helped a ton. Mostly my allergies just make me tired to the core (I know the moducare helps with the fatigue), but when I start with the occassional sneezing I use the Hylands homeopathic remedy for Hayfever, and it works within about 10 minutes.
I had lots of years of allergy shots and when I was younger antihistamines. My body rejects them all now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page