Allergies...help me without steroids - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:50 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Can you use human vitamin supplements for the pups or do you need one especially manufactured for animals?

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
Do you notice any drowsiness or personality changes in your dogs with the Hydroxyzine?
We had shep at 75mg doses, didn't notice any personality changes, or drowsiness.
However it has not done anything to improve on the itching and chewing. In fact any of the improvements were were seeing the last few months kinda disappeared and he's just as bad as when he first got allergies as a puppy.
Not giving up, his great temperament changes from being off the steroids is worth the work. Even the vet noticed a huge difference in his aggression, they were able to handle him with no growling or anything. The vet tech didn't used to be able to go within 10ft of him, now she can hand feed him and pet him. Didn't even use a pinch collar on the last visit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 AM

Was gonna add but didn't see an edit button.
The next thing that I'm considering trying is a combination of Dermaxol and Canine Dermal Support. Anyone try either of those yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Crowned Member

Allergies are the result of an overactive immune system. Bolstering and boosting the immune system can make them worse.

Steroids, used correctly, can be life changing and very helpful. It is the improper or inappropriate use that can issues that did not need to occur.

Of course, one can try other methods and I feel that it is worth the effort. But steroid treatment need not be dismissed out of hand as horrible.
post #65 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 03:06 AM
Crowned Member

You can support allergies with quite a bit of supplements and it really doesn't boost the immune system, as you would an autoimmune condition. They somehow act differently in the body.

I find it sad that the holistic thread on allergies has turned into one discussing antihistamines and steroids

post #66 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 10:41 AM

Glacier Peak Holistics has an Allergy Testing kit on their website. They test for food allergies as well as any environmental toxin overloads and vitamin/mineral deficiencies. The test is kinesicological, so it's non-invasive. The results have been amazing.
They also have an awesome anti-inflammatory formula called Inflapotion. Folks have been calling it "magic" for years.
Here is the link: Glacier Peak Holistics natural herbal pain remedies for dogs and horses
post #67 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 08:48 AM

allergies

has anyone tried acupuncture for allergy relief?
post #68 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossgoat View Post
has anyone tried acupuncture for allergy relief?
We used it for digestive issues, and it helped a lot. for allergies, I think it can be supportive, but you probably have to do several things at once, a package deal so to speak, to ultimately be successful.

post #69 of 95 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM

Tried Benadryl & lots of medicines; don't help

My 3-year-old German Shepherds both have allergies. One has it more severely than the other. Constant scratching, itching, gnawing away. Suggestions of how I can help him? They are both taking Hydroxizine but with little result. Already tried Benadryl- no help. Both are eating Evo natural foods. Do not bathe them often. Would that really make that much difference? Would fish oil really make a difference? How much should I give them? One is 80 lbs. & the other is 90. Any names of holistic vets in the Bethesda Gaithersburg Maryland area you could recommend?
post #70 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 09:41 AM

Hi Everyone,

Been a while since I posted last. Ramsay has been through **** and back.
I firmly believe his allergies have 100% been cause by idiot vets and our lack of knowledge trusting in them. Ramsay was given shot after shot with booster shots on top (one time our old vet gave him a 5 in 1 shot) over the last 2 years. We have had an itchy dog right since almost day 1 with him.

We tried different kibbles, cheap stuff to the $100 bag stuff... nothing worked. Ramsay then went on an all raw food diet eliminating poultry and still nothing. So now he has raw poultry and beef to mix things up. Last November the vet recommended a dose of prednisone with a 1 month oral dose twice a day there after. This I swear would have killed our dog if we let the full month continue. This is where I truly started to do my research and I feel confident in putting the blame on the vaccines.

Since then we have had Ramsay visit a horticultural all natural vet. We have had our buddy on several different things including a spleen support, benadryl, omega 3 oil (already in his raw food but gave him additional dose), engystol and one more I cant remember the name of.

I feel our buddy is stuck with this extreme itchy that results in patches of fur coming off his ears and head from the constant itching.

There has been a few people recommend Hydroxyzine on the board here... is this all natural? Does it have any side effects?

We love our buddy and we just want him to be itch free. He loves to swim, and this usually gets us a few hours after of itch free time.

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page