Allergies...help me without steroids - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 01:51 AM
Crowned Member

I don't know of anyone new that tried everything all at once - complete diet with full out supplements. I know Vio79 tried without success, but she only did a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and for serious cases, it has to be done all at once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 08:11 AM

Well, in the search for no steroids, here is where I'm at.
I have a multivitamin compliment called BioVites be gets with every meal.
I supplement that with Missing Link
In order to help him eat all that powder, I mix in a teaspoon of tuna.
In addition I give him 200 UI Vit E, and 600mg Ester C.
He gets 2 tbsp local raw honey
His daily food is Taste of the Wild brand.
To try and relieve his itching I give him 50g benedryl twice daily. Its an entire body itch, so cannot treat hot spots.
Currently I have him 100% off steroids, but he is extremely itchy again. When hes itchy like this, he won't eat anything, which means hes not taking the supplements on schedule.

What else can I give him non steroid to relieve the itching besides the steroids so we can give this new diet a chance. We've tried bathing him in an oatmeal allergy bath, that only lasts a few hours, so its ineffective for the effort required.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Crowned Member

I think I would consider acupuncture....and also bioflavanoids that have a good amount of quercetin?

Do you think the itchy is from environmental stuff, or food stuff? My Max gets itchy from beef, mosquito bites, and his paws get bad from certain grasses or weeds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 08:54 AM

Kept up with the regiment for a few weeks and the itching has calmed. Hasn't taken a steroid in maybe a month now.
I've been trying to get this product called Mega C, but I'm thinking the company is out of business. I've tried emailing looking for a close distributor with no response, so I tried ordering direct from belfield's website, and no response. Took my credit card and everything, but never heard a thing after that. Can't call their toll free from here cause its out of country or out of service. Anyone know a place to buy it other than Belfields?

post #55 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:35 AM

Finally got the Mega C, guess they're in business, just lack of customer service.
Has anyone heard of or used Atarax/Hydroxyzine, if so how were the results? Considering asking the vet for it to try out, Benadryl did not have much affect.

post #56 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Crowned Member

I guess they just put the MegaC on the slow boat to Canada

Great news that the itching has calmed and there has been on steroid use for quite some time. That's definitely an accomplishment! If the itching is from the nervous system being overactive, scullcap can help calm that. If it's from allergies, you might try some activated quercitin?

post #57 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 11:10 AM
DnP
Elite Member

I would seriously consider accupuncture.

Before the vet and I would even consider steroids, he suggested I consult with a holistic vet for both Phoenix's ortho and allergy issues.

He has been on a regimine of chiro and accupuncture for the past 8 months and wow, have I seen a difference. I also finally got rid of the 40 year old carpets in my house.

Besides the acupuncture, I have introduced some other supplementation recommended by the holistic vet as well as doing the allergy shots every month with serum. Only on two occasions since starting the acupuncture, have I had to give Phoenix a week of tavist. It was in the middle of winter, when I got behind in my vacuuming and dusting and keeping his bedding as dustmite free as possible.

Diana

Bentley - the light that brought me out of the darkness

RIP Phoenix, Brightstar Rescue, 2006 - 5/6/2017
RIP Dakota 1/5/93 - 10/23/2006
post #58 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 04:31 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepsmum View Post
Finally got the Mega C, guess they're in business, just lack of customer service.
Has anyone heard of or used Atarax/Hydroxyzine, if so how were the results? Considering asking the vet for it to try out, Benadryl did not have much affect.

I have used probably every antihistimine.. Hydroxyzine is the one that worked the best for us and I have read that more dogs respond favorably to it for allergies. I had no luck with Benadryl either. It's worth a shot... very inexpensive and it's not a steriod. I would really try and stay away from pred. We had some serious issues from Niko being on a low dose of pred and he will NEVER go on pred again.

Clemastine/Tavist also worked pretty good... although antihistimines for us... seem to loose their effect over time. The documentation from one of the derm's I have used (Dr. Lowell Ackerman) states that antihistimines are more effective if used with fatty acids.

Good Luck!

Tanja

Niko ~ Reinholt vom Mittelwest
Whiskey ~ Rescue Sweetie
Fluffy & Peeps ~ Kitties
RIP ~ Storm ~ My sweet boy ~ There will never be another like you!
RIP ~ Boo ~ My bold kitty
post #59 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Elite Member

I use Hydroxyzine for my allergy dog and I can't say enough great things about it! She was on prednisone for a very long time and I hated giving it to her. She is now totally off the steroids! Between the Hydroxyzine, therapeutic dosages of fish oil (which is a lot), Borage Seed oil and a raw diet she is looking and feeling better than ever...symptom free, beautiful and best of all comfortable!

You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar!
post #60 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:47 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Do you notice any drowsiness or personality changes in your dogs with the Hydroxyzine?

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page