Allergies...help me without steroids - Page 10 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 08:08 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
Hi! I sent in to Nutriscan (Dr. Dobbs' lab) for their kit for testing for food intolerances. It was enlightening to see the results. My dog is biting at his fur. My guy needs probiotics to help his digestion. I already had him on a raw diet or I think it would be worse. So I am avoiding reactive foods--which is a lot 28 out of 30. The only things he did not react to was Beef and Lamb. So I am working to get his immune system and digestive system strengthened. Probiotics/digestive enzymes/ non-reactive foods. i am feeding him fresh apple pieces and blueberries and a supplement for vitamins and minerals.

What is your dog's skin problem? I understand not wanting to cover up the symptoms, but to treat the cause.
NutiScan has helped many MANY dogs on this blog.

Some speak against it......I think it's fantastic and it saved my GrandDog from itching day and night from the info provided.

Moms

Here are some specifics of the test:
NutriScan: This test measures antibodies to certain foods in dog saliva. High antibody levels indicate that the dog has a food sensitivity and intolerance to that food or foods. Food intolerance or sensitivity is actually quite common whereas food allergy is rare. In fact, food intolerance is the third most common sensitivity condition in dogs and often can be easily remedied with a change in diet.Dr. Jean Dodds, NutriScan tests for the twenty most commonly ingested foods by dogs to provide you with specific results as to your dog's food intolerances or sensitivities. Since it is a salivary test, you have the convenience to complete the test at home or at your veterinarian’s office. Best of all, you can have the results in approximately two weeks to help you put your dog on the right diet.
Remember, NutriScan is novel and patented and is not testing for food allergies, but rather tests for food sensitivities and intolerance. These are different body immune responses. Food allergy is a more immediate reaction mediated by production of IgE and IgG antibodies. Food sensitivity and intolerance, by contrast, measures a more delayed body response to offending foods by measuring production of IgA and IgM antibodies primarily in mucosal secretions from the bowel.”

Q. How does this test differ from other food “allergy” tests on serum or feces ?
A. Food allergy tests measure antibodies to IgG and IgE in serum or feces. These are typically more acute allergic reactions to foods, whereas NutriScan measures IgA and IgM antibodies on the bowel’s mucosal surface, and thus more directly correlates to symptoms of bowel (GI tract) disease.
Moriah likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 08:31 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
What is your dog's skin problem? I understand not wanting to cover up the symptoms, but to treat the cause.
Quinn has no known food allergies but many years ago I eliminated all forms of chicken from his diet as it seemed to make him itch more. His digestion is fine, and he is on Acana Pork and Squash with some home cooked veggies and some table meat. He has had skin testing by a dermatologist vet and came up positive for dust mites only. He has a mild degree of itching and scratching, does not chew anywhere but has constant skin lesions that are driving us both nuts. Right now we are trying the oral desensitization serum and he is bathed with chlorhexidine shampoo once or twice a week. The vet is pushing for Apoquel but I'm holding back - once that no longer works, what then? I don't know if Nutriscan would be appropriate for him. Maybe Momto2GSDs could chime in.

Does your dog bite and chew to the point of breaking the skin? Is skin infection a secondary problem with him?

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #93 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 09:15 PM
Elite Member

Does your dog bite and chew to the point of breaking the skin? Is skin infection a secondary problem with him?

Yes, three days of venison was a costly vet visit as he chewed holes in his outfit. He was put on antibiotics for it. That's been it, but I've been feeding raw.

By raw feeding I was able to kind of sort out things like Rabbit and duck were really reactive. I gage things by how forceful he is about chewing on his fur. I think if he had been of kibble, it would be much worse as he is VERY intolerant to peas/lentils/eggs/salmon and white fish oil. I got down to feeding just one meat with nothing else--no probiotics, vitamins, etc. Science experiment. . . . I laugh at the elimination diet--my guy is intolerant of rice/potatoes/oatmeal/all fish/many meats except beef and lamb. At this point pheasant may be okay. I have emu and alpaca in my freezer, but haven't tried them yet. Started probiotics/enzymes and vitamin/mineral mix first--doing it intermittently to see if that is a problem.

It might be worth checking out the nutriscan test. You can do it at home and mail it in to Dr. Dobbs' lab.

I have serious environmental and food allergies. So if my guy has environmental allergies from anything in the house, not more I can do, because my house doesn't bother me--and I am a canary.

Moriah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 06:28 PM

Thanks for all the quick replies. Here's some more information.

I've had Mak since a puppy in 2009, and within the first year he showed signs of ear problems. Dark smelly build-up etc. That started the rounds of steroids and antibiotics and otomax ointment from the vets and diet changes. I changed him to many different foods and after a while, I was able to get his ears to a manageable state so it never concerned me much more.

Then around 2013-2014 he started developing skin problems. The skin on his belly became very dark and he began loosing hair and scratching constantly. At first it was slow and only a small patch of his belly. Now after the next few years, it progressed all along his belly and up his neck. He also has lost some fur on his face around his eyes from rubbing it on his bed and furniture, and missing fur from his paws and elbows.

I consulted many different vets. Every time was the same--- Diagnosis allergies; Treatment steroids and antibiotics.

Whenever I asked about the things I've found in research like: "The steroids suppress his immune system; Could he have leaky gut syndrome; Its gotta be the carb and preservative filled food; I think its coming from inside him not from the environment." The vets just play dumb and don't really answer and hand me some home cooking suggestions written by HILLS Science Diet. Finally I expressed to my last vet that I was upset about how much money I have given her clinic and haven't seen any results. She called the next day and said there's this new magic drug 'Apoquel.' I just don't trust it and feel there's gotta be some natural ways to fix this that I'm just missing right now. That was the last I spoke with that vet.

Where we are now:

Mak was given steroids in April from the last vet, and of course his skin cleared up for the time being, but then returned to ruins once the steroid wore off. He is missing fur from his belly, sides, face, elbows, and paws. Its dark, crusty, smells, is hot at times and he looses lots of dry skin flakes from scratching (sometimes scratches till he bleeds). He also has discharge from his ears and scratches uncontrollably.

He is currently eating Orijen 6 fish, only because I refuse to put him back on the Royal Canin HP or Hills ZD diets and picked that as being a kibble without grains, potatoes or a lot of preservatives.

Around the end of 2015 I did try switching him to a raw diet, but I don't think I did it right and introduced some of the organ meets to him too quickly. He began having bad diarrhea and lost a lot of weight. The vet was concerned and had me put him back on kibble food.

From this site I learned about Dr. Jean Dodd's and found that her clinic is only and 1.5 hours away from me (I'm a San Diego Resident). So last week I took him in for his first appointment at Hemopet and he saw Dr. Adam Lassin. We ran a full blood and Thyroid test. I was actually hoping there was a problem with his Thyroid as it may be easier to treat than allergies, but unfortunately the test shows all normal Thyroid function and his blood counts were okay as well.

In the past I had allergy testing through VARL done for environmental and food allergies. Dr. Lassin said those are accurate for environmental allergies but not food, so he wants me to run the Nutriscan test. I just sent it in and will have a couple weeks until I get the results. I did have Mak on some probiotics and other supplements like Nupro and DMG, but Dr. Lassin had me pull him off everything until the Nutriscan results are in and we can adjust his diet then.

I bathe him in Malaseb but currently have tried Murphy's Oil soap and Zymox shampoo as I was looking for something more natural to bathe him in and hopefully be more soothing. Sometimes it seems like the Chlorohexadrine makes him itchier....

Dr. Lassin prescribed antibiotics, keto, and Apoquel, along with some Chinese herb medicines (Wei qi booster and Damp Heat skin). I still haven't started the drugs as I'm concerned they're just gonna prove to be steps backwards just like every time hes gotten steroids, and I would like to wait till the Nutriscan results are in. I'm slowly starting the Chinese herbs. Has anyone had any luck with these????

Thanks again for all the help!

Mike
post #95 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 04:20 PM
Elite Member

MakGSD,

I forgot to mention in dissertation on Apoquel that I did the ImmuneIQ allergy test and Dr. Dodd's allergy test. A few results were the same, most were not. One said ok to chicken, one said he was highly sensitive to it. Traveler's Thyroid tests also came back as normal.

You are right about Malaseb and Chlorohexadine shampoos. They seem to really dry out the skin and his fur was almost kind of crispy stiff, not soft at all.

I will have to get back to you with the Chinese herbs I tried but I've had better results using Standard Process formulas, particularly mushroom and assorted bovine extracts.

I could open my own pharmacy.

Lynn & Traveler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page