Is there anything I can do/teach - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Is there anything I can do/teach

between classes? Our main problem...Or I should say MY main problem is that Brenna tries to play games with me and get around me to chase the sheep. The instructor is really good at keeping her under control, I am not.

I was thinking maybe using a broomstick or something and teaching her that out (motioning outwards with the stick) means to back up. I don't know if it would do any good or maybe even make training harder...What do you think?

I should add that I'm very inexperienced with herding. I've never been around sheep except my 4 or 5 lessons, I've gone to one trial but didn't learn very much from it other than we have a long way to go. :P

Brenna: GSD Born 7/16/06
Mollie: Beagle
Fezzik: GSD/Husky/Golden?
Chewy: Shih tzu/Yorkie
Crunchy: Pug/Schnauzer?
Monty: GSD born 5/24/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Is there anything I can do/teach

Something just happened and my entire post is gone :bawl: Let me try again...

Gracie doesn't like the "away" (counter-clockwise) direction either so when playing, I throw or kick her ball to her in that direction making her have to go that way. She's much more comfortable with "come by" (clockwise). If you've only had 4-5 lessons, give it time. It will come. These GSDs learn very quickly. Are you preparing for the HT or PT? We are doing the PT next weekend. I hope to begin the HS in the spring.

Our trainer uses a stick with a paddle with noise makers in it. It's more a visual "oh, go that way, okay". When teaching her "get out" she will bang it on the ground, that's enough to make Gracie back up.

You'll get there. Give it time!!

Jen, proudly owned by Gracie CGC, TD, TT, PT
DOB 1/19/2006
Into our house and hearts 3/18/2006
Her last breath 2/21/2019
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Re: Is there anything I can do/teach

One reason I'm doing herding is because I suspect the people who had Brenna before me did something in training (no idea what) to kill her toy drive. She has super prey drive but if you throw a ball or jiggle a toy she ignores it like it doesn't exist. So I've been working to find something she will do to burn off that drivey energy, and this is what seems to bring her out of her shell.

Anyways, she is learning faster than me. lol She knows she isn't supposed to chase the sheep like a madwoman but when I'm leading them (with the noise maker stick) she ignores me and chases them anyways. The instructor will go out with a regular stick (no noise maker) and Brenna suddenly gives her all the space she needs and follows at a good distance...Drives me crazy. lol

I know I'm very impatient, I'm even more frustrated because I know I'm the problem. haha I hate to admit this but I still have no idea about the titles. I'm mostly doing it to boost her confidence but would like to get titles if/when we get that far.

Brenna: GSD Born 7/16/06
Mollie: Beagle
Fezzik: GSD/Husky/Golden?
Chewy: Shih tzu/Yorkie
Crunchy: Pug/Schnauzer?
Monty: GSD born 5/24/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page