Two questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Two questions

I've got a few classes in and there are 2 main things we're working on. The first is having her sit or down every so often. The instructor originally wanted her to down but Brenna has issues with downs and is very reluctant to do them, possibly due to past training experience before I got her. I have to walk up and tell her several times (which I know is a no no) while motioning right in front of her. She's much more reliable and confident doing sits, so that's what we've been doing. My question is, during trials is it OK for the dog to sit instead of laying down as long as they stop where they are? I am going to work on downs between classes, but she really doesn't like it, I think maybe she feels too vulnerable?

The other question is, do you have any tips on steering her, so to speak? I think this is more of a issue with me than Brenna. I have a hard time keeping her going in one direction and far enough away from the sheep all while walking around the pen. It doesn't help that she likes to pick one out and chase it around. It was a bit easier today since we were in a bigger pen, but I definitely still need some work!

Brenna: GSD Born 7/16/06
Mollie: Beagle
Fezzik: GSD/Husky/Golden?
Chewy: Shih tzu/Yorkie
Crunchy: Pug/Schnauzer?
Monty: GSD born 5/24/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Two questions

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BrennasMomI've got a few classes in and there are 2 main things we're working on. The first is having her sit or down every so often. The instructor originally wanted her to down but Brenna has issues with downs and is very reluctant to do them, possibly due to past training experience before I got her. I have to walk up and tell her several times (which I know is a no no) while motioning right in front of her. She's much more reliable and confident doing sits, so that's what we've been doing. My question is, during trials is it OK for the dog to sit instead of laying down as long as they stop where they are? I am going to work on downs between classes, but she really doesn't like it, I think maybe she feels too vulnerable?

The other question is, do you have any tips on steering her, so to speak? I think this is more of a issue with me than Brenna. I have a hard time keeping her going in one direction and far enough away from the sheep all while walking around the pen. It doesn't help that she likes to pick one out and chase it around. It was a bit easier today since we were in a bigger pen, but I definitely still need some work!
Yes, it is ok to sit (instead of down) at trials. We do sits (for the most part).

Have you worked on a get back command to keep her off the sheep?

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

So far I'm just shaking a rattler at her when she gets too close, no specific command has been integrated yet.

I also need some reading material, would a barnes & noble or borders have herding books or do I need to order them online?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 11:18 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Quote:
Quote: I also need some reading material, would a barnes & noble or borders have herding books or do I need to order them online?
The herding books that I have are written by Border Collie people and are not much help for an upright breed like the GSD.

Keep working on your sits, and instead of a down, teach her a reliable "stop" or "stand". Big dogs getting up from a down can scare sheep.As far as getting her to go around far enough -- can you walk backwards? Facing a dog will often slow them down without having to correct them. Also, walking at their rear ends as they go around the sheep puts pressure on the dog to get around the sheep -- they feel chased, perhaps for doing something wrong (not going all of the way around).

It has worked for me.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I think thats my problem, I've been walking forward and spinning my head every which way trying to keep an eye on everything. lol

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 02:39 AM

I ordered "Herding Dogs" by Vergil S. Holland online and really like it. He is a border collie guy; so there's not a lot that's specific to German shepherds. But it helped me to understand what we were trying to get done in class. I think you might find it to be helpful.

I've googled "German shepherds herding" and have found some interesting articles that way. Ann Garner has some articles. So does the Leerburg site. You might try that as well.

I generally have my dog sit rather than lie down when we're with the sheep. And it's my trainer that had me do that. There was a reason that she gave me for it, but I can't remember what it is. If I recall it, I'll let you know.

And we're still working on getting my dog to stay back from the sheep more consistently. She loves to get in close with them. Sometimes I just have to chase her off. Sometimes I'll control her by giving the sit command as I back away with the sheep and then give her the command to "walk up." I'm sure you and your trainer will figure out what works for you.

I'm so glad that you and your dog are getting the chance to herd. I've been taking classes for about the last six months. It's sooo much fun!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Crowned Member

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/5093/
http://www.german-shepherdherding.com/behavior.htm
http://www.whitecloversheepfarm.com/sh-articles.html
http://www.ahba-herding.org/
http://www.akc.org

The biggest thing to realize is there are a few different schools of thought for herding. There are die-hard GSD people who will say GSDs have no place doing anything but HGH style herding, border herding or AKC course C as a last resort. Others will say, why not give it a try (I'm of the second grouping). It's very difficult to find HGH/course C folks near home (closest for me is almost 2 hours in each direction). I'm working Gracie in AKC and AHBA. She is enjoying herself and progressing. I haven't found a good book, just the websites and her instructor is very knowledgeable.

She'll get the idea to stand back - have you started working her with the panels yet for the PT or still working on the HT? Gracie is told "get out of there" if she gets too close. She isn't crazy about the rattle stick and is staying back fairly well now.

She's learning, "come by", "away", "that'll do", "walk up", "steady". She will down when told. I believe you just need a reliable stop of some sort.

Jen, proudly owned by Gracie CGC, TD, TT, PT
DOB 1/19/2006
Into our house and hearts 3/18/2006
Her last breath 2/21/2019
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks, I will go through all the links. I have to admit, I am like a fish out of water, I don't even know any of the abbreviations or commands. lol I'll learn! We haven't used any panels yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page