lokchickens - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

lokchickens

Hi I have just started raising chickens,I have 32 that I hatched myself.I let them free range in the yard for a couple hours and then I have just started using my ddr boy to help me round them up and into the barn.I use a broom to push them forward and he helps nudge them out of the underbrush,I have him on a e collar he has very nice obed.and lots of control but of course needs supervision he can get over enthusiastic and he needs to back off some is too close and they blot in the wrong direction etc.any other suggestions? I will also try him on a leash etc.I bring him into the barn and put him in a stay whhile I do the chores which he is very good about watching the chickens are eating and doing chicken business etc.

kellie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Master Member

Re: lokchickens

I would work him on something that herds a little closer and isn't as excitable/able to fly to start. Indian Runner ducks are a good way to start since they are not flyers and will stick together usually. Using the broom/rake/pole to push him back or to different sides is a common method of starting herding. Start in a small pen so you can keep control and use a long leash. It helps to have a second person as well. Next, introduce him to herding commands so you can have him back off and move where he needs to be. When starting you want to keep him opposite of yourself with the livestock between you. If he is "wearing" (running back and forth behind the stock) that is a sign of a good herding dog. There is a ton of info on the net. Check out little hats on search.

"Lie down":
used as a stop command to drop the dog on a prone position. This may be replaced later
in training by "there", "stand" "stand, stay" or "stay" to have the dog stop on his feet in
a standing position.

"Stay":
tells the dog not to move from its stopped position until a counter-command is given.

"Walk up":
used to move the dog straight towards the stock. Other terms which may be used are:
"Walk in" and "Go in".

"Easy":
used to tell the dog to approach the stock or move around the stock more slowly.
Other terms which are used for this: "steady", "take time" or "time".

"Come Bye":
used to direct the dog to swing in a clockwise direction around the stock. The term "Go
bye" is also used for this action. This clockwise movement is also referred to as being
"off the left hand" of the handler (Holland, p.23)

"Away To Me:
used to direct the dog in a counter-clockwise direction around the stock. The term
"Way to Me" is also used. This counter-clockwise movement is also referred to as being
"off the right hand" of the handler (Holland, p.23).

"Look Back":
If the stock has split and the handler wants the dog to go farther from the handler to
gather stock the dog may not see.

"Get Back":
used to remind the dog to stay the proper distance away from the stock.

"Get Out":
used if the dog is very close to the stock, splitting stock, diving to pull wool...
This command is considered a reprimand.

"That'll Do":
This is the last command and can be considered as "Good job, old boy; now come here
and we'll go to the house and get a treat for you". It should be an absolute call off.
(Witte, 1991, p.38)

Missing Alex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the help! Lots of good info.I only have the chickens to work with but they do group together nice and are not to flighty they are cochins,especially if you stay a distance from them.So we will continue to work on it.

kellie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Elite Member

Would love to see pictures of this-- not easy to train gsds with chickens-- good for you!

Sally
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, don't they usually eat them? LOL! What a good dog.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

well we had a little incident... one little hen (I have banties) decided she was not going in the coop and scooted away from the right direction.Against better judgement I didn't have my boy muzzled and he grabbed her.I thought for sure she was a goner.I think she was just in shock.Some feathers were lost and after some poultry drench she was back in the coop by the next morning.I kept her out just to make sure she didn't have any internal injuries.We will continue to keep at it.I think I better keep him muzzled ...

kellie
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Master Member

well at least he didn't hurt her too bad! that is a good sign. Maybe a muzzle would be a good idea. Are you working him off leash?

Missing Alex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page