Can shy/timid dogs do ok in herding? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Can shy/timid dogs do ok in herding?

Brenna is a very nervous dog, though it is mainly a fear of strangers, but I'd love to see how she does with herding...How likely is it that she'd be able to go with her instincts over her fears? My main concern is if I were to take her to some sort of event with lots of people, I can see her being too nervous to do anything.

She's a weirdo, she seems to have prey drive, goes nuts over squirrels, feral cats, etc. running by, but so far has shown no drive whatsoever in a training situation, though that's a long-ish story and the next post I plan to make in the training/behavior section! lol

Brenna: GSD Born 7/16/06
Mollie: Beagle
Fezzik: GSD/Husky/Golden?
Chewy: Shih tzu/Yorkie
Crunchy: Pug/Schnauzer?
Monty: GSD born 5/24/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Can shy/timid dogs do ok in herding?

I guess it would really depend on Brenna. If her main fear are strange people, it doesn't necessarily mean that she'll be scared of sheep or herding them.

What I would probably do would be to find a place where you can do the herding instinct test - where it would be just a trainer, the sheep, and you. When we lived in northern Virginia, we went to Keepstone Farm in Berryville, Virginia to have Abby tested. It's quite a drive (well, it was for us - we were as far East as you can get in northern Virginia), but it was worth it.

You can email or call the trainer to discuss Brenna's nervousness around strangers, to let them know that this may be a problem, that she may be scared. And then go from there.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 08:51 PM

from my personal experience, i believe she'll be fine with the sheep. what worried me more with my boy Tilden, was even after explaining that he was a (sometimes situationally timid) rescue and had a very soft/mild temperament, the trainer (per her experience, policy, and for the sheeps sake) used a whip to crack in between the dog and the sheep if the dog at any point seems too aggressive with the sheep. i was a little uncomfortable but she said i'd be surprised at how his behavior could change in the pen. i was surprised, not that he was aggressive with the sheep, but that he completely ignored the first few cracks, did not shy away or startle, and just wanted to herd. she ended up putting the whip down and agree'd that he wouldnt need it.

we had our first herding event a couple weeks ago, and Tilden did get stressed then and got all crazy responding to the heightened anxiety of the almost 30 dogs.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Master Member

i THINK SHE WILL SUPRISE YOU. iF NOT YOU ARE ONLY OUT THE SESSION MONEY. wHERE i GO IT IS $30.00

Also there are not tons of people typically unless something special is going on.

I worried about Quincy because he is not shy but shuts down if someone besides myself works him.

Michelle
Ava (6 yr old boxer)
Mia (4 yr old Brussels Griffon)
Quincy (GSD 10/03/07)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I actually already e-mailed them at keepstone farms for a quote, no response yet.

What worries me is Brenna seems to focus really intently on people she's afraid of. When it's just me, she knows sit, down, stay, come, and sometimes heel, when a stranger is around she occasionally knows sit.

I'd love to see how she does though. If it isn't too much I think I'll at least get an instinct test and see how she reacts.

Brenna: GSD Born 7/16/06
Mollie: Beagle
Fezzik: GSD/Husky/Golden?
Chewy: Shih tzu/Yorkie
Crunchy: Pug/Schnauzer?
Monty: GSD born 5/24/14
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:18 AM
Crowned Member

If I remember correctly, we paid $35. This was for the test and a half-hour beginner's lesson thrown in at the end!

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page