How much do you pay for lessons? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

How much do you pay for lessons?

I'm just curious how much everyone pays for herding lessons?

We have found a place locally (within 20 minutes) that does herding lessons and will be heading out there this weekend to check it out and see about getting started, now that we have a reasonable schedule again and can actually *do* stuff.

They charge $35 for each 1 hour herding lesson, and I was wondering whether that is average, low, or high compared to what most people pay? (I'm just curious what the prices are like elsewhere.)

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: How much do you pay for lessons?

I pay $25 for a lesson, $10 to rent the stock if I work on my own. The other place I will be going I am not sure what she charges for lessons but I think stock rental is the same.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 04:30 AM

sounds good to me.

can you believe there is no place to herd in los angeles lol.

the closest place ive found so far is about 40 miles away. they charge $60 for the first lesson which is 45mins (2 works). and i believe $35 each half hour for subsequent lessons. this sunday will be our first time

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 06:08 AM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

I live in the middle of farm country and still need to drive 1.5 hours to take my guys herding. Go figure.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 06:16 AM

Where did you end up going Historian? I'm trying to see if there is anywhere closer to me than the lady I recommended in Chesapeake as I'm getting another aussie pup tonight and would love to work both her and my boy eventually, but the gas to drive out there would kill me right now

Axel - GSD 2.5 yrs
Jax - Aussie 2.5 yrs
Henna - Aussie mix 1 yr
Cats: Kriye -12yrs, Creeper -5yrs, Nari -3yrs, Razor -2yrs
"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Knighted Member

We pay $35 per half hour. We could also pay $15 to use the stock without a lesson if we want. We drive approx. 45 minutes for lessons.

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:Where did you end up going Historian?
We haven't gone yet, but we're going for our first lesson at the new place tonight (if the weather holds, anyway). The place we're going to is Bedlamb Bestiary (http://www.bedlambbestiary.com/), in Seaford.

-
-

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:03 PM

Let me know if you liked it? That is a lot closer than where I was going, and now that I have two aussies, I'd love to do some more herding, at least as a distraction

Axel - GSD 2.5 yrs
Jax - Aussie 2.5 yrs
Henna - Aussie mix 1 yr
Cats: Kriye -12yrs, Creeper -5yrs, Nari -3yrs, Razor -2yrs
"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I liked it very much and will continue to take lessons there. As a matter of fact, we're going to try and go out there for lessons every two weeks if we can get a lesson slot on days / times that work out for us.

I have a write-up of our first visit here, with pics -
http://abbyk9.blogspot.com/2008/06/shepherd-herds.html

-
-

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Crowned Member

I paid $40 for a test and a lesson would have been an additional $40, but that would have been in a clinic setting, with a judge that comes highly recommended. I think the other place we looked into offered the first session free and then $35 per lesson after that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page