Going herding! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Going herding!

Sooo, we are finally taking mikko to his first herding lesson tomorrow...yay!! I am sooo excited!!

My only concern is that he will be afraid of the sheep. The only other large animal he has ever met were horses and he is kind of afraid of them.

Has anyone had a problem with their dog being afraid at first? Can a dog that is afraid of the sheep end up doing well?

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Going herding!

That is a great question. Im sorry I dont know the answer but Ill be watching this thread play out for sure.

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Elite Member

Oh NEATO! Let us know how little Mikko likes his sheep!

Oh, wear grungy clothes and old junky shoes. I got that tip from Mspiker03, will be taking Janka for her evaluation in July.

Take pics!!!

Janka vom Grunenfeld, BH (d.o.b. 10/12/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

Have fun! I would love to try Ris on sheep.

If it makes you feel better, Risa is a wuss dog. She's pretty fearful in new situations. I can't remember if it was her first or second time seeing sheep. . .but one of the times when we were over at our trainer's house, Ris was in the backyard running the fenceline 'herding' the sheep. She had stopped for a moment and started giving one of the rams 'the eye.' He butted the fence right in front of her face and she didn't even flinch.

Y'never know. Mikko's instinct might just kick in and he'll surprise you!

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Risa's Blog)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Quote:Y'never know. Mikko's instinct might just kick in and he'll surprise you!
that's what i'm hoping for!

good tip on the grungy clothes!

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 05:41 PM
dOg
Elite Member

I only have one experience, so can't answer.

Hugo was just 7mos old, but he is big. My cousin has a farm and said there were 7 sheep "out there somewhere" and sure, see if Hugo could find them. So early the next morning, we went to the empty barn and pen, he got a nose-full, I said "Let's find them and bring them back here!"

Was all I could do to keep up with him, he found them sleeping in tall grass, they took one look at him and spooked, he chased them a bit,
came back to see how I was, they slowed, some lay down again, when we got near, they booked to the barn. Wasn't really any work involved, other than "tracking" them, as they wanted nothing to do with him, and scurried to their safety zone. I leashed him up and didn't let him hassle them as soon as they beat feet into the corral.

It was interesting and fun, but not much of a test. They live a good 10 hours from me, so haven't done that but once. Of course, I told him he did a great job.

They are prey animals, dogs are predators. I wouldn't expect that they are going to challenge, but instead show some nervous fear.
That ought to embolden your dog, and it ought to play out as it has for eons. Horses, they too are prey animals, but their size is so much more formidable, I'm sure most dogs would think twice. Cowboys on horses herd horses, not a single shepherd and his canine. I'm sure there are dogs who do, but I doubt many just started out herding horses day one!

Have fun! Kick some booty Mikko!!!

I know what CGC means, but TN-N, NJC, NAC, TG-N, WV-N ?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Crowned Member

I betcha Mikko does great. Mine had never seen a sheep before, but the first time they saw them they knew exactly what to do...that herding instinct is something they are just born with.

Have fun and take pics!

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

Luca says, "Arf!"
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

well, we had a great time! mikko was definitely not afraid of the sheep! the trainer handled him today- she owns/trains the #1 mal. i didn't get a lot of pictures because my camera doesn't do so well with the motion. but here's a pic and a short video:

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

i have a question about training for you all...do your trainers use a plastic rake or something like it to help with training? if so, do they "bop" them with the rake? it wasn't hard or anything- but we have never used physical corrections with him- so i was a little uncomfortable with this. it didn't phase him though- he was so fixated on the sheep.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 11:36 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Oh that looked wonderful! Mikko is so handsome! He sure seemed to know exactly what he is doing. Wish I knew more about herding, and knwe more about what it is that the dogs are supposed to do when working the sheep.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page