Took the dogs for herding instinct test today. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Took the dogs for herding instinct test today.

So as the title states I took the dogs for their herding instinct test today. A lady down in Muncie Indiana. Super woman seems very knowledgeable and honest. Knows herding.
Basically the tests went like this. Athena will do very well in herding. Which was nice to hear. I was afraid her prey drive would kick in and kick her out.
Rosko could do well in herding. But, he didn't come out like Athena. He would take work to stay on the sheep and not bore of it.
Apollo went in with Tammy, but was too concerned with the fact that I wasn't in there, to engage or attempt to herd. She exited, I entered. With me in there being guided by Tammy. Apollo did engage the sheep a couple times. And when he did he really seemed to come alive in the moment. We will continue to work and push Apollo to see if we can raise his confidence level. I don't see how it is ever going to hurt him. He did show a glimpse of confidence today and before we called it quits. He was up to leaving my side and trying to figure out what he was supposed to do.
We will work Athena also. She really enjoyed it. So if I'm gonna be there with Apollo may as well let her work. Plus I found it to be a blast.
Rosko I won't bother with trying to push him into herding. I think if we applied ourselves he could do it. I just don't think he had the love Athena had or needs the confidence boost I am hoping to get with Apollo. I'll post some videos below.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Athena first.
https://youtu.be/EmJvSw5HFwQ

https://youtu.be/x7bgh1DrZEE

https://youtu.be/xTGbStGAXZI

Athena BH, Rosko BH
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Rosko
https://youtu.be/ZYMIIrWs8a4

Athena BH, Rosko BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Apollo
https://youtu.be/VuPU6SVpEwI

Athena BH, Rosko BH
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 03:54 PM
Elite Member

Looks like fun! I would love to try that. Thanks for posting the videos.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
Looks like fun! I would love to try that. Thanks for posting the videos.
You're welcome. It was a great time

Athena BH, Rosko BH
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 04:42 PM
Knighted Member

Athena looks like a natural! Looks like a lot of fun...though I was a little uncomfortable watching the lady swatting at the dog's with the rake LOL!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Knighted Member

Iím glad you found somewhere to try it! Itís interesting to me how different instructors handle these tests. When I took my girl to do it, the instructor broke her off from having contact with the sheep so she didnít form the habit of gripping the sheep when it wasnít warranted. She was kept at a greater distance from the sheep than Athena was (I couldnít get Roskoís video to play for some reason) at first, and then she seemed to understand she needed to maintain a bit of distance on her own. Do you have plans to try to get herding titles? Or will you just take them for fun?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
Athena looks like a natural! Looks like a lot of fun...though I was a little uncomfortable watching the lady swatting at the dog's with the rake LOL!
Well see about the natural thing as she progresses. I'm sure it's different once rules are introduced. The rake never bothered me. She wasn't trying to inflict pain just influence the dogs movement. The couple times Athena vocalizes is purely out of frustration.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
Iím glad you found somewhere to try it! Itís interesting to me how different instructors handle these tests. When I took my girl to do it, the instructor broke her off from having contact with the sheep so she didnít form the habit of gripping the sheep when it wasnít warranted. She was kept at a greater distance from the sheep than Athena was (I couldnít get Roskoís video to play for some reason) at first, and then she seemed to understand she needed to maintain a bit of distance on her own. Do you have plans to try to get herding titles? Or will you just take them for fun?
These are only two videos I took. Maybe half of what we done today. I wanted to get videos but then I wanted to focus and listen. She continued to work a little on Athena stopping when chasing wasn't warranted. Which eventually she did seem to understand a bit.
I would love to put some titles on Athena. Apollo I just hoping to build confidence and have fun.
GypsyGhost likes this.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page