"Flying Trot" for herding??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

"Flying Trot" for herding???

After watching Westminster, I am wondering why the so called "flying trot" is so important. Was it necessary for herding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 04:38 PM
Knighted Member

The GSD style of herding isn't like the driving you see Border Collies and such do for short bursts of high speed. They are a tending dog. Their job is to be a living, moving fence. The flying trot was an energy efficient gait that allowed them to continue moving for hours at a time.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 05:53 PM
Crowned Member

suspended trot is not the same as the exaggerated "flying" trot , which often is not even flying

the herding dog has a functional gait . Sometimes the immediate entry into "flying" an excitable , less than confident temperament problem .

http://www.shawlein.com/

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by carmspack; 02-16-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Well, I'm not noticing our working dogs trotting like that. Of course, I am mostly seeing them at a gallop I can't imagine a shepherd keeping that frantic show ring trot up to tend sheep. Right the relaxed suspended trot looks normal, at least to me.

Last edited by gsdluvr; 02-16-2016 at 06:17 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 06:30 PM
Crowned Member

that's the point , they aren't .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Right. I understand all too well the crazy roach of the VA dogs, because I have a working dog and a West German Showline who is very roached. But the severe rear angulation of the American Show dogs looks just as wacky even though they don't have a roach. And I hear them talk about rear drive!!!

Last edited by gsdluvr; 02-16-2016 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Addition
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 07:40 PM
Crowned Member

Wilfred Scheld was a koermeister and the Head Herding Judge of the SV. I had the privilege of showing/koering under him and spending time with him. The last koer he did that I attended - he gave a presentation about herding and it's place in the breed, along with a discussion of the lines, drive and movement needed to tend flocks of up to 2000 sheep. (YES - 2000!!!!)

He stated that the show dogs did not normally have the drive or stamina for real life herding, and that many modern working lines dogs were too high prey - due to sport breeding. He said many real herding dogs were crosses of SL and WL.

He also showed a 3 time HGH Siegerin of Germany - who was a dark sable female - "like your dog - same build and drive" ie - comparing her to my Csabre. He stated unequivocally that the common straighter shoulder of the working dog was just as, if not MORE, functionable for herding movement....that the dogs did NOT tire and if anything, had more stamina as they were not using extreme effort to reach....

I really wish we had taped this presentation!!!!!!

I had shown all my dogs to him as a puppies, and he chuckled seeing his name on Csabre's pink papers on the dental. He remembered her and I was so pleased at his comments during the measurement phase. Then, during the koer, he gathered the crowd around and asked for their attention to critique Csabre, telling them she was a "genetic treasure" due to her size, structure, color and pedigree. He also repeated some breeding advice, then afterwards, we went through the pedigree of my (intended) K litter together.....I wish we had been able to present Kira to him - I looked forward to that! He passed away last year, and will be missed.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 09:33 PM
Crowned Member

Kira is a great example of functional , durable, endurance movement .
"He stated that the show dogs did not normally have the drive or stamina for real life herding, and that many modern working lines dogs were too high prey - due to sport breeding"

I used to have emails back and forth with an urban shepherd using an altdeutscher hutehund (schaferhund).
I showed her some you tubeys of herding instinct dogs and other , and she gasped expletive - we would shoot those dogs.
The herding dog needs to be calm and commanding , have an inborn presence that you cannot train. The hectic , high prey , easily stimulated dogs upset the sheep and made them out of control .
Balance in body, balance in mind.

Carmen

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Beau regularly works 10-15 miles at a trot on a search shift. It seems pretty effortless. It is not exaggerated and seems to be his preferred working gait. He is also not so high in prey and I like that better.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 09:54 AM
Crowned Member

Yes i don't think any of those show dogs move like that on a daily basis unless they had a crowd cheering them on. I would have a little more pep in my step if there was a energetic crowd cheering me An overly angulated dog is not pretty to watch and im sure they cannot go the distance. Good movement is hard to miss just as in horses it eye catching from a distance.Woodsides Megabucks is my favorite out of the show dogs. I know my dog covers much ground incredibly quick with little effort in all kind of weather. He does not get tired although he is only a year and a half. Balance should be the goal in all lines as they each have their own headaches.

Last edited by Jenny720; 02-17-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page