Ayla ~ Herding Foundation & Stock Manners - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 09:59 AM
Knighted Member

I would pass on truckee meadows for herding. That isn't what they really do - they do agility, obedience, etc. They are putting on an event elsewhere (where Sandy Moore trains I think). If you are looking into actually herding - I would contact Sandy directly or Lisa Edwards (also in Gardnerville). I train with Lisa (call her don't email) and chose her over Sandy, for what it is worth. But knew someone who at one point trained with Sandy.

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiker03 View Post
I would pass on truckee meadows for herding. That isn't what they really do - they do agility, obedience, etc. They are putting on an event elsewhere (where Sandy Moore trains I think). If you are looking into actually herding - I would contact Sandy directly or Lisa Edwards (also in Gardnerville). I train with Lisa (call her don't email) and chose her over Sandy, for what it is worth. But knew someone who at one point trained with Sandy.
It might be them running the Truckee Program??? The actual training I think?? List Dresslerville Rd in Gardnerville as "Sheep Camp??"

I used to have a client out that way (I'm a PCA) and I have actually been on Dresslerville Rd, Gardnerville is a lot closer! I never saw anything out there that looked like a Sheep Camp??? But a lot of space and homes and I was not looking for a Farm??? Who knew.

How do you know where Gardnerville is???
post #83 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:27 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
It might be them running the Truckee Program??? The actual training I think?? List Dresslerville Rd in Gardnerville as "Sheep Camp??"

I used to have a client out that way (I'm a PCA) and I have actually been on Dresslerville Rd, Gardnerville is a lot closer! I never saw anything out there that looked like a Sheep Camp??? But a lot of space and homes and I was not looking for a Farm??? Who knew.

How do you know where Gardnerville is???

Truckee Meadows is putting on a farm dog event at Sandy Moores facility. Sandy Moore trains and teaches herding lessons at 3/4 ranch (or whatever it is called). Her training company is sheep camp and you can google Sandy Moore sheep camp and get right to it.

Lisa Edwards also teaches herding. She is off Waterloo out a ways. I currently train with Lisa so I know Gardnerville. I am up at the lake.

Truckee meadows is more an obedience and agility place and they train in Reno somewhere. I have never been to their place but have friends that go there.

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
The people we've trained with span the full spectrum from for-profit farmers, to competitive trial competitors, to white collar "do it for fun on the weekend" handlers. There's no reason you can't get involved.
OK thanks, if "fun on the weekends" is also an option then "herding" is still, on the table.

Apparently there is more dog stuff going on out here than I realized?? Truckee Meadows, seem to be the contact point and they conduct get to know stuff meetings locally??? So people can find out about what's available.

Maybe that's where all the GSD's I see in Pick Up's and Subarus are going ... on there way to do stuff.
post #85 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:51 AM
Knighted Member

You can pretty much find any dog sport in the Reno Carson area. You just have to look because it is out there. Truckee Meadows isn't the only place that offers dog sports. Recommending a place to try would be based on what sport they are interested in. I send anyone wanting to herd to Lisa. I think dog sports often start as something fun to do on weekends and then turn into more (wanting to compete).

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
post #86 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiker03 View Post
Truckee Meadows is putting on a farm dog event at Sandy Moores facility. Sandy Moore trains and teaches herding lessons at 3/4 ranch (or whatever it is called). Her training company is sheep camp and you can google Sandy Moore sheep camp and get right to it.

Lisa Edwards also teaches herding. She is off Waterloo out a ways. I currently train with Lisa so I know Gardnerville. I am up at the lake.

Truckee meadows is more an obedience and agility place and they train in Reno somewhere. I have never been to their place but have friends that go there.
LOL ... how much technology was involved in me find out something was happening 35 miles from me???

Sheep camp is a Training Company ... who knew??
post #87 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Knighted Member

Bitterbrush Stock Dogs (Lisa's place) is also probably just as close as well. So, two places close to you. But close is relative - it takes me an hour + to get to Lisa's and almost 2 to train IPO (I go down towards Sac and have chosen to stay there vs train in Reno).

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page