Question about herding for fun (not sure how to describe) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
AddieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 561
Question about herding for fun (not sure how to describe)

This post is not meant in any way to diminish or insult the sport of herding which I understand is serious business and takes great effort, time and training. You all have my total admiration!

With that said, I've seen on dog training TV shows where they take a GSD or other breed to a farm to "fulfill their need" of herding. Is this something that farmers allow? Do most shepherds just instinctively know to run the sheep? I've noticed Addie trying to herd other dogs (mainly poor K-bar who just does what she wants) so I was thinking it would be great fun for her to experience an actual herd of sheep. I am probably totally naive, but please don't bash me if so. I am truly curious. I know a lot of things, but herding is not one of them

Addie 2/13/2011
K-Bar 5/25/2009
AddieGirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 12:57 PM
Knighted Member
 
Carriesue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Carlsbad, California
Posts: 2,369
Instinct plays a big part BUT there is a right and wrong way to herd. I do herding with my GSD and he is very driven and likes to bite the stock A LOT, he is not gentle about it. There's no way a farmer would ever let him near their stock as he is now, the stock are their livelihood. Herding is definitely not as easy as just letting the dog run around with sheep and not something I'd advise you do especially if you might ever want to trial, a very good way to teach a lot of bad habits. I work very hard with my dog, I wish it were that easy!

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
Carriesue is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Knighted Member
 
Carriesue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Carlsbad, California
Posts: 2,369
I suggest if you want to expose your dog to livestock take her to a place that actually does herding training and get a proper instinct test done! Much better and safer way to go about it.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
Carriesue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
AddieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
Instinct plays a big part BUT there is a right and wrong way to herd. I do herding with my GSD and he is very driven and likes to bite the stock A LOT, he is not gentle about it. There's no way a farmer would ever let him near their stock as he is now, the stock are their livelihood. Herding is definitely not as easy as just letting the dog run around with sheep and not something I'd advise you do especially if you might ever want to trial, a very good way to teach a lot of bad habits. I work very hard with my dog, I wish it were that easy!

Okay, thank you! So there are people who have livestock specifically for training herding.. Got it. Now I feel very dumb

I'll look online in my area to see if we have anything like that nearby!

Addie 2/13/2011
K-Bar 5/25/2009
AddieGirl is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 01:05 PM
Knighted Member
 
Carriesue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Carlsbad, California
Posts: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieGirl View Post
Okay, thank you! So there are people who have livestock specifically for training herding.. Got it. Now I feel very dumb

I'll look online in my area to see if we have anything like that nearby!
Yup! I train at a place that does nothing but herding training, they have sheep, cattle and ducks. I got lucky finding such a good place near me. It's a real job but also is a sport now where you can compete and do trials and earn titles and ribbons.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
Carriesue is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
AddieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
Yup! I train at a place that does nothing but herding training, they have sheep, cattle and ducks. I got lucky finding such a good place near me. It's a real job but also is a sport now where you can compete and do trials and earn titles and ribbons.
Sounds like so much fun!

Addie 2/13/2011
K-Bar 5/25/2009
AddieGirl is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 01:59 PM
Moderator
 
Fodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,169
Carriesue has the right idea... not only will the herding instinct test give you a better idea of your dogs temperment and drive but it also provides a safe and controlled environment where the sheep have been worked so much they already know what to do.
There are individual styles of herding and some dogs need their natural instincts refined more than others if nothing more than to keep both the dog and sheep safe.

during their first exposure one of my dogs charged right at the sheep attempting to bite them.... was really pushy and controlling and aggressive by most standards - had I put her on a larger herd without an instructor and a long line... it would have been a mess.

my other did a lot more displacement sniffing and circling, even lost focus several times and the instructor had to manipulate the sheep to get him excited and engaged... posing no threat, his line was taken off right away and I ended up continuing with him for a few lessons just for confidence building and basic command response.

just as protection sports differ from personal protection training... it's the same with herding.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Fodder is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
AddieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
Carriesue has the right idea... not only will the herding instinct test give you a better idea of your dogs temperment and drive but it also provides a safe and controlled environment where the sheep have been worked so much they already know what to do.
There are individual styles of herding and some dogs need their natural instincts refined more than others if nothing more than to keep both the dog and sheep safe.

during their first exposure one of my dogs charged right at the sheep attempting to bite them.... was really pushy and controlling and aggressive by most standards - had I put her on a larger herd without an instructor and a long line... it would have been a mess.

my other did a lot more displacement sniffing and circling, even lost focus several times and the instructor had to manipulate the sheep to get him excited and engaged... posing no threat, his line was taken off right away and I ended up continuing with him for a few lessons just for confidence building and basic command response.

just as protection sports differ from personal protection training... it's the same with herding.
Interesting, thank you!

Addie 2/13/2011
K-Bar 5/25/2009
AddieGirl is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 05:09 PM
Master Member
 
LeoRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 697
If you want to try herding, but don't have access to livestock, you can check out treiball. American Treibball Association

Lily: ETD PKD-T ADP-L5/CH ADP-L1(Pr) CNSD
Leo: U-CA ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH S-ADP-L1(Pr) S-ADP-L2(Pr) CNSD
Ilka: BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (2009-2017) RIP
LeoRose is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
AddieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRose View Post
If you want to try herding, but don't have access to livestock, you can check out treiball. American Treibball Association
Wow!! I love that! Addie LOVES balls too. Anything with air in it she will chase around and try to pop. This may be just what we need. Thank you!

Addie 2/13/2011
K-Bar 5/25/2009
AddieGirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome