First Herding Trial Jitters! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Question First Herding Trial Jitters!

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience at AKC Herding Trials and could share what to expect.

I'll *hopefully* be entering my GSD, Qira, into a trial in October to try and get her HIC. Back in May we met up with a trainer a couple of hours away (he happens to be an AKC judge) and he was astonished at how much talent she already shows, and said if he had the power to, he would've signed off on her HIC right then and there. He said that we will be able to pass that no problem, and we're heading back for one last (our second) lesson this weekend before the trial.

That being said. I have NO idea what to expect at this, I have never been to a herding trial before, and never participated in any other kinds of dog sport trials or AKC events! I used to show my cat as a HHP in the CFA, but even that was only 2-3 shows, and was 6-7 years ago.

So if someone here could help calm my nerves, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
-Tiffany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 06:29 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

The biggest tip is to remember to BREATHE!!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:53 AM

Yes, remember to breathe and, trust your dog!! She is the one with the instinct! ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Knighted Member

I actually just did an AHBA instinct test (which is the first leg of the HCT title through AHBA) with Paisley (I have never done a formal instinct test at an event before, but have done several trials with my other two). I have video that I can post later if you haven't gone to your trial yet. I mostly just did it for the experience of her working stock at a new location.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page