Nix first herding lesson - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Nix first herding lesson

Thanks to someone on this board, I found a wonderful herding trainer. She trains and shows ASL. I am thrilled to have found her.

My friend and I went down yesterday( friend has a BC) for our first lesson. Julie, the trainer, was amazing. She really got Nix and saw his potential and was honest about what to expect.

His first time in, she used 3 ewes. He did ok. But was VERY prey driven and worked hard to separate out one ewe. But he took corrections very well( with the occasional stink eye) and kept working. In his second go, she added more sheep. Her thought was a larger group would help him see them as a unit and not individual animals. And it worked.

He was still a bit stressed, not really understanding yet what was allowed and not allowed, so we saw some avoidance behaviors. But he showed sustained interest, easily took fair corrections, moved both eats around the sheep with a small move from Julie.

I was very impressed by his heart and drive. Julie thinks with a bit of work, he could do tending style. She is the ONLY person within 4 hours that trains for it.

She gave me some things to work in, getting him bending, knowing his back feet, and boundary work, before our next lesson. Usually she won't start a GSD at his age, preferring to wait until they mature a bit, but she does not think that waiting will benefit Nix. He is already confident, takes correction without shutting down, is sociable and easily directed.

I am very excited. I have never done herding before. One more thing to learn about these amazing dogs.

Here are pics. Nix first herding lesson-imageuploadedbypg-free1379381380.255530.jpgNix first herding lesson-imageuploadedbypg-free1379381395.864998.jpgNix first herding lesson-imageuploadedbypg-free1379381416.419961.jpgNix first herding lesson-imageuploadedbypg-free1379381431.515774.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Hit send too fast, a few more pics

Nix first herding lesson-imageuploadedbypg-free1379381488.901002.jpgNix first herding lesson-imageuploadedbypg-free1379381508.227575.jpgNix first herding lesson-imageuploadedbypg-free1379381530.423465.jpgNix first herding lesson-imageuploadedbypg-free1379381552.260802.jpgNix first herding lesson-imageuploadedbypg-free1379381602.480711.jpg

B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Knighted Member

Congrats! I do herding as my primary sport.... doesn't seem to be too popular on this board, people are really missing out! We started herding when my pup was 6 months old and he is a natural, kept the flock together, no fear and responded well to the stick and yes, he is half WGSL half WGWL.

It is a lot harder then it looks right? Good luck to you guys and have lots of fun!

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Crowned Member

Outstanding pictures! Watching a GSD herd gives me chills. So cool when they get it.

I had the pleasure of having an opportunity to work with Kelly Malone. She breeds, shows & trains ASL. She is no nonsense & has beautiful dogs.

Have fun!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Master Member

Awesome pics! Love how mentally taxing it is on them -a nice tired pup afterwards. Took Enzo for his HIC and HCT a few months ago and he had a blast at the farm and fell right asleep on the way home

Enzo v TeMar
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Crowned Member

I have an excellent instructor(Diane Wright) less than an hour away from me. But she goes two hours away from her home to teach tending! One of these days I hope to get some instruction locally....until then, I'll just watch these great threads.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I think I got the bug!!! I can't wait for our next lesson. Plus it helped that Nix was exhausted when we got home!!!!

We ran out if time, it was getting dark, but next time age is going to show us her dogs doing the tending style. She also has BC, and I got to see them work. It was really nice to work with someone who gets GSD.

B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Crowned Member

Looks like Nix is really enjoying himself!! Glad to hear you finally got to go!

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page