Herding seminar and Ollie's first herding lesson - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Talking Herding seminar and Ollie's first herding lesson

Ollie and I went to a herding seminar today which basically consisted of instincts tests(which he's already had but I decided to do it again just because)and lessons for everyone who signed up. I have to say that I'm really proud of my boy today! We were the last ones to arrive and when we got there my stomach kind of dropped because there were A LOT of dogs and Ollie's been having some adolescent fear barking reactivity issues with dogs since he hit puberty but not ONE peep out of him.

I was actually a little worried at first because he was the quietest dog there, all the other dogs would go nuts watching the other dogs in the pen with the sheep but Ollie so was cool, calm and collected that I thought he'd lost interest. That was until it was our turn in the corral and it was as if a light had been switched and bam straight into work mode he went.

For my lesson I was in the pen without the instructor(they believe in teaching their students how to work their own dogs) but she and another instructor familiar with GSD's gave me directions on the sideline. Well I can say I had no idea how physical a job learning how to herd is, I was literally running pretty much the whole time in 80+ temperatures.... I was not prepared for this LOL but my husband told me I had a giant smile plastered on my face the entire time anyways.

At the end she told me Ollie is a very smart puppy who responds VERY well to the stick(which is important)... Some of the other dogs had to be whacked on the nose but with Ollie all I had to do was slap the ground and say a loud 'AHH' to get him to stop what he was doing. He and an Aussie there were the only dogs to run in wide circles around the sheep which I guess is important(no idea, still learning) and he kept them together. I learned the very basics of moving the sheep and getting Ollie to change directions.

All in all it was a great day and I could not be prouder of Ollie's good behavior and think he did fantastic for an 8 month old puppy. The instructor also told me he'd be ready to start trialing VERY soon *gulp*. I just hope I can keep up and don't let him down.

Unfortunately I didn't get any video or many pictures because I was too busy and had my hands full working with him, I will post what I do have later!

One thing I noticed from his last instinct test(posted below) is that he showed SO much more confidence, he did not show any fear of the sheep at all this time. Which is something I was worried about.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC

Last edited by Carriesue; 05-18-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 07:07 AM
Crowned Member

Good for you and Ollie!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 07:44 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Good job! Isn't it great when that light bulb comes on and they just seem to get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Crowned Member

Great!!! It is always so gratifying when they have fun at training!

Good luck in the future!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you! He definitely had fun, when the lesson was over and it was time to collect him well let's just say he gave me the giant doggy middle finger and didn't want to stop running in circles around myself and the sheep. Definitely an area we need work on!

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Knighted Member

Yay!

And don't worry - I always felt that I was hindering Leyna and Levi's advancement, especially at the beginning. But, that is the cool part - you both get to learn together!

Seeing your posts is making me excited to get back into it, hopefully in a few months!

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Yes! It definitely felt as if Ollie knew what he was doing already and I was doing my best to keep up. He is an independent little thinker though so I know that getting him to listen to me(especially given what can I offer him that is higher value than a sheep!) is probably going to be a struggle for us but he is so young yet, we will get there.

Rich was telling me how people are often surprised how much work 'they' have to do too in herding and he was definitely right! Listening to what the instructor was telling me(and Rich is very soft spoken), keep the sheep moving and try to control Ollie who is WAY faster then I am(I did grab the longest stick knowing this lol) it was a lot to do all at once! But it is very fun and rewarding, I'm surprised not many people here do it.

Do you live down here part time, will you be coming back to this place if you start herding again?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

The few pictures I managed to get

They were using a GSD to bring sheep into the pen for us Just doesn't get a good shot of him in action

Untitled (2013-05-18 04:15:54) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-05-18 03:34:21) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-05-18 04:18:15) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Worn out pup

Untitled (2013-05-18 04:13:29) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:40 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
Yes! It definitely felt as if Ollie knew what he was doing already and I was doing my best to keep up. He is an independent little thinker though so I know that getting him to listen to me(especially given what can I offer him that is higher value than a sheep!) is probably going to be a struggle for us but he is so young yet, we will get there.

Rich was telling me how people are often surprised how much work 'they' have to do too in herding and he was definitely right! Listening to what the instructor was telling me(and Rich is very soft spoken), keep the sheep moving and try to control Ollie who is WAY faster then I am(I did grab the longest stick knowing this lol) it was a lot to do all at once! But it is very fun and rewarding, I'm surprised not many people here do it.

Do you live down here part time, will you be coming back to this place if you start herding again?
Don't forget - the sheep have a mind of their own at times!!

Actually, I haven't updated my profile since I am not often on this forum. I was in Chula Vista full time for about 10 years, then I was part time up North and down South and now I live in Northern California (Lake Tahoe). I do hope to get down there for a trial or two though when my pup is old enough. I haven't been back down there in ages and miss my friends!

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Ah yes, that too lol... There were a few times the sheep wouldn't cooperate with me and went in a other direction and Ollie took off after them leaving me running behind trying to catch up. But HEY at least I didn't slip and fall mid run twice like the guy in green in one of the pictures did and he was a marine!

I'm thinking about going to the Scottish Highland games next month, did you ever go?

And possibly I'll see you at a trial sometime! If you see a big black dog pulling a short girl around that would be ME.

Last edited by Carriesue; 05-20-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page