Ollie's herding training progress thread - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Ollie's herding training progress thread

I thought instead of just making a new thread anytime I had an update I'd just have one progress thread.

Ollie and I are due to start training hopefully at the end of April, now I do not live on a farm or own sheep so for us this is more for fun, channeling his energy and something for just the two of us to do together. He's not a full working line dog but he's got some nice herding dogs on his dams side, his pedigree if you're curious. Zephyr's flying Ollie vom Grunenfeld. Also he is getting ready to turn six months old.

Last Sunday we did his herding instincts test and I think he did well considering how many distractions there were around us. He started off a bit unsure(he'd never seen a sheep before though!) but his last two runs he was showing more and more confidence. Question about that though, on his last run which I unfortunately didn't film he was extremely focused on 'chasing' and he kept nipping at their legs, rears and the side of their faces... Is that normal, good sign bad sign?

Anyways onto the fun stuff! His herding instincts test video and some photos I managed to get of the day.

Untitled (2013-02-25 08:16:16) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-02-25 02:48:51) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-02-25 02:50:14) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-02-25 03:39:28) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-02-24 09:02:20) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-02-24 09:10:44) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-02-24 09:11:56) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-02-24 09:30:57) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-02-24 09:30:27) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-02-24 09:06:36) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

End result of the day.

Untitled (2013-02-24 12:16:56) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 02:41 PM

nipping, etc

Your GSD shows interest. That's great. However, trying to turn a GSD into a border collie will probably be frustrating to the GSD.

GSD's punish sheep for leaving a graze. It's not gathering work, but forcing straying sheep back into a determined area. If your dog has any real GSD instinct in it, the difference is very conflicting, leaving the dog feeling lots of mental pressure when it is close to the sheep. That's why folks who try and do gathering work with GSD's complain about their hard bit all the time.

They are tending workers. Check out Leerburg online's video about "sheep dog" training and HGH trials.

Also, you can find some great youtube video of Ulf Kintzel doing tending style work on youtube. You can also youtube search Geary Loff's "Elite" tending an orchard.

Ulf also has a website, whitecloversheepfarm.com I think. He makes his living with sheep and tending dogs in New York.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Honestly I didn't really ask why we shouldn't do it, I know of several people here who do herding with their GSD's and I know that they are not the best breed and have their short comings with this.

That video was his instincts test only, we haven't even begun any real training yet. We're not going to be doing any 'real' herding work, I'm not even sure if we are going to try to title at all... Right now this is just me getting out with my dog having fun and working his body and brain. We're still going to be taking sheep herding lessons for fun but where we go from there I have no idea at the point.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:18 PM

Hey! I just went to that same herding place last weekend! My dog is 1.5 yo and he's super intense on getting the sheep!
You can see his videos here

Did the trainer use the whip on your dog too? I am a little taken back that she used the whip on my dog several times. Most of the time she's just hitting the ground in front of him to keep him further away from the sheep but there were several times when she actually strikes him with it. My GSD has very high pain threshold so he doesn't seemed to be bothered by the whip, but I found welts on him afterwards. I am hesitant to take him back there.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

No she didn't but she said its because my dog is a puppy and they don't do any type of training stuff with puppies during the test because they don't want to turn them off of it... At least I think that's what she said, I'd have to go back and watch the videos again to see what exactly she said.

I can kind of understand the whip, she's got to protect the sheep and kind of looked like your dog wanted to hurt them at some points. I wouldn't be too surprised if that weren't the norm for most places, I'm sorry your dogs had welts though.

Well at least that was my understanding, I'm a totally newbie at this though.

Last edited by Carriesue; 03-06-2013 at 01:26 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Elite Member

Ollie's herding training progress thread

Where did u go Carrie?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone22 View Post
Where did u go Carrie?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
It's a place in Poway, they do other stuff so can't remember the exact name but if you look up herding training Poway you should find it. They are also on FB under the herding training center, you can talk to them there too.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
No she didn't but she said its because my dog is a puppy and they don't do any type of training stuff with puppies during the test because they don't want to turn them off of it... At least I think that's what she said, I'd have to go back and watch the videos again to see what exactly she said.

I can kind of understand the whip, she's got to protect the sheep and kind of looked like your dog wanted to hurt them at some points. I wouldn't be too surprised if that weren't the norm for most places, I'm sorry your dogs had welts though.

Well at least that was my understanding, I'm a totally newbie at this though.
Yeah, I think she's trying to make him stay back from the sheep. I think my dog is just really enthusiastic. He's not trying to hurt the sheep because when the sheep stops running he also stops and just stands next to them. Even sniffed their behind at one point. I am also really new to this and not sure if that is the norm. Maybe that's the method for all sheep herding training. It's just that my heart aches for him whenever he gets hit. It might not be the right activity for us. For what it's worth, I think my dog had tons of fun!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Also I apologized to the stockdogcompany for answering my question that I had completely forgotten I'd asked... I'll say it again though I'm sorry for jumping of you for trying to answer my question!

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklnh2o View Post
Yeah, I think she's trying to make him stay back from the sheep. I think my dog is just really enthusiastic. He's not trying to hurt the sheep because when the sheep stops running he also stops and just stands next to them. Even sniffed their behind at one point. I am also really new to this and not sure if that is the norm. Maybe that's the method for all sheep herding training. It's just that my heart aches for him whenever he gets hit. It might not be the right activity for us. For what it's worth, I think my dog had tons of fun!
I'd be curious if that was the norm too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page