Pimg's first herding session! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Pimg's first herding session!

We had a good time! As noted in the video description, I cannot stand training with corrections. Though Pimg does have a prong collar on (fail safe) she is hooked to a flat collar in this video. I wish there was a R+ herding instructor within 100 miles of me, but there isn't. For now, we'll continue to have fun and play around with this sport/hobby. I'm just floored that Pimg showed decent instinct last week in her HIT. Just one more fun thing to add to our repertoire!

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Knighted Member

Fun!!!
I also don't like correction collars. Mikko's herding instructor has him on a choke just in case, since he is very obsessed with the sheep...we've only been to two lessons but it kills me. Next lesson I'm going to ask if we can try him on his buckle collar with high reward treats and see how it goes. If it doesn't go well, I am going to buy one of those collars that tightens only to a point, so they can't slip out but don't get choked either.

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

This instructor told me to take my treat pouch (which happened to have a clicker in it ) off prior to entering the ring. She said that she wants the sheep to be the most rewarding thing, not treats. I find that hard to swallow. There is nothing in this world that I want to be more rewarding to my dog than me. Having no way to reward other than praise kinda sucks, I think.

Willy
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO View Post
If it doesn't go well, I am going to buy one of those collars that tightens only to a point, so they can't slip out but don't get choked either.
That's called a martingale collar, by the way.

Willy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
This instructor told me to take my treat pouch (which happened to have a clicker in it ) off prior to entering the ring. She said that she wants the sheep to be the most rewarding thing, not treats. I find that hard to swallow. There is nothing in this world that I want to be more rewarding to my dog than me. Having no way to reward other than praise kinda sucks, I think.
That's interesting, especially since you want Pimg to follow your commands. It's definitely a team job. I haven't asked our trainer yet, so I hope she doesn't respond the same way. Right now, the sheep are the most rewarding thing for Mikko and he makes that clear by completely ignoring the trainer and even us sometimes- you have to say things very firmly to him when the sheep are around. I feel like if he knew that he would get hot dogs instead of just a pet when he lays down, maybe he actually would listen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
That's called a martingale collar, by the way.
Thanks!

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:24 PM

ya did good for your first time

I was laughing at about 3:31 Pimg was getting a little ramped up and eyeballing those sheepies I'm thinking to myself "ahhhh let her go!" LOL

I have to say I've never had a herding trainer use a prong on any of my dogs not sure why you had to..tho I know you had her on the flat.

It DOES take some getting used to in the beginning, long line getting tangled, keeping our eyes on the sheep but knowing what's going on with the dog..and yes the sheep are the reward, it can sometimes take ALOT of restraint especially a new dog.

Wait till ya get her off the long line and those sheep come charging YOU looking for protection ))) I've taken a few diggers when sheep come plowing into you..

Fun tho

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge

Last edited by JakodaCD OA; 08-05-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: added
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
It DOES take some getting used to in the beginning, long line getting tangled, keeping our eyes on the sheep but knowing what's going on with the dog..and yes the sheep are the reward, it can sometimes take ALOT of restraint especially a new dog.
Yeah- I feel completely retarded (I mean no offense from that) when I'm trying to handle the long line! It's like I turn into a moron who's never used a lead before! It's really frustrating to me. I constantly get it tangle in me, the rack, and Pimg. So frustrating! I have a 30' line here at home that I think I will start practicing with...

I'm still confused why the sheep are the reward. I can see it when she gets to walk up to the flock; that must be pretty exciting and rewarding to her. But for the "get around" at this point it's completely an obedience routine where she is to not interact with the sheep. So in that case, I don't see the sheep as being a reward. I dunno- I just don't know enough about this game yet to understand it all. I need to do some more reading on this...

Willy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Knighted Member

There is so much going on at the same time when you first start, and all happening in relatively close quarters, too! I made myself dizzy on more than one occasion with Tanner when we first started. And I would get run into by the sheep. Thankfully I didn't have to handle a long line on top of everything else (although Tanner did have a pretty long drag line on when we started herding). I got discombobulated enough with just the livestock paddle and trying to remember where left and right were! I think you both did wonderfully well.

Keep in mind that the kind of sharp, snappy obedience we are use to seeing in obedience and schutzund is not the kind they want for herding. They want a dog that will follow directions, but never stop focusing on the sheep. I had to re-train myself to not use the same "name-command" chain I had learned as a kid because saying his name first would make Tanner look at me and not at the sheep.

I really enjoy tracking, but nothing compares with herding for me. It is addictive.
Sheilah
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Crowned Member

What she said! We also started on a prong collar primarily to insure the safety of the sheep. All the obedience pretty much goes out the window and Stosh needed that extra correction. With a dog that wants to work the sheep, allowing that to happen is their reward. The praise you give isn't so much of a reward as a reinforcement that she's doing it the way you want. Like Sheilah said, it's more a matter of giving the dog the information it needs to accomplish what you're asking rather than command, obey, reward. I've tried everything with Stosh and he was good at agility but there really is nothing as fun and rewarding as herding. To work that closely with your dog while it's using it's natural abilities and instincts is just too cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page