Working in the heat - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Working in the heat

I finally found time to book Stark's herding lessons again for this year. I am hoping to continue year round (as weather allows) since I am in the position of making my own hours at work. The instructors really like him and think he could be an amazing tending dog and do well in trial, so this is a goal. If it happens, great, if not, that's okay too.

Anyways, just wondering what others do to get their dogs ready for the heat.

We are working in the mornings and late evenings until dark right now. I have water, crate fan and Kool mat for him in the van as well. Plenty of high protein snacks for after (it's a 2 hour ride home) and electrolytes for his water.

I have been swimming him a lot and when the weather allows we bike or jog.

So, please share your tips & secrets!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:44 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

We have a good sticky on the topic in the SAR session. Not fast burst on and off field stuff but endurance in heat stuff..if that helps

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Nancy, must of missed it! Headed over there now!

XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

Unfortunately here in TX our herding lessons come to a stop in July and August. It's just too hot for all 3 species. I keep Stosh in shape by hiking for about 45 mins at the crack of dawn and playing frisbee at 8:30pm with fribees that glow in the dark.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Kev

Sorry for bothering you elisabeth but I noticed you're from Ontario and I really like to start herding with my dog when he gets older. I was wondering if you can tell me who you train under?
Thanks

Millview's Bosco 12/15/11 Winter Pup

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Kev - I don't think they are taking any more clients but you can always call and ask.

The farm name is Woolagon Farms and is located just outside of Fergus, ON.

My Website

The couple Renee and Steve are AWESOME and so willing to teach those who want to learn. Great trainers and all around great people. My breeder is friends with them which is how I got to know about them.

Both my dogs received their HIC through them as well.

XX z Weberhaus
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Kev

Thank you!

Millview's Bosco 12/15/11 Winter Pup

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

No problem - I have a bunch of videos of them working my dogs and others if you are interested in seeing them. Just PM me and I will send you the links.

XX z Weberhaus
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:58 AM

We work our dogs on sheep for a living and never work them when it is really hot. If we need to gather then it is early mornings and evenings, as it is just too dangerous to work dogs and sheep in really hot temperatures.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Elite Member

We avoid working in the heat...we do lessons early in the morning (like 5 or 6 AM) or if it's not terribly hot, late in the evening.
I don't let the dogs sit in the A/C - they spend time in kennels outdoors so they stay adjusted to the weather.
We always have water available during herding lessons. Also, puddles along the border are great.
Last night it was hot and extremely humid. Kessy worked a big graze - she had a bucket of water available, also a big puddle along the border from the recent rain. I LOVE those puddles! She'll patrol for a while - then go lay in the puddle to cool off, keeping an eye on the sheep the whole time. As needed every minute or so she'd get up and patrol around the graze. She is really smart about staying cool but never forgets that she's working.
After she's done there's a nice cold creek and big pond on the farm, so we go play in those for a while to cool her off.

Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT

PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD

Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page