Mikkos first herding lesson - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Mikkos first herding lesson

Well, technically his second but it's been a few years since the previous one.
He had a great time and was obsessed with the sheep! The trainer said he had a strong insinct. He obviously needs to respect her a bit more- not sure if it was me or my husband working him if he'd listen to us better?

Here's a video of the trainer working with him. What do you think?

Mikko's herding lesson 6/3/12 - YouTube

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Crowned Member

That is so awesome! I'd really like to try that with my own dog! Nice work Mikko!

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
That is so awesome! I'd really like to try that with my own dog! Nice work Mikko!

Thanks, Willy! I bet Pimg would love it too!

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah... I think she'd love it so much that she would attempt to eat the sheep. I really do want to try, but I'm afraid she might be a bit too aggressive to the livestock. Though I'm sure a good trainer would be able to control that.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Yeah... I think she'd love it so much that she would attempt to eat the sheep. I really do want to try, but I'm afraid she might be a bit too aggressive to the livestock. Though I'm sure a good trainer would be able to control that.
Lol. Yeah, Mikko's on a long line and wasn't allowed to work off of it- I'm sure a trainer would do that with Pimg first too. Hopefully, he'll start to listen a little more.

Any herding people have any critique for me?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Crowned Member

We've been herding for about a year- Mikko did a fine job! He's very focused but after a few minutes he did get out away from them when she told him to, which shows he was listening and obeying without taking his eyes off of the sheep- that's what you want. He definitely has the whole concept. I imagine the trainer will have you do the training from now on. Until the next lesson work on his 'down' and recall. Instead of 'come' say 'here to me' because that's part of the terms you'll be using as you progress. He must learn how to obey from a distance. It takes a while but he'll start to put it all together. It's natural for him to want to nip and lunge at them initially but he'll figure out that he won't be allowed to work the sheep unless he does it your way. It's such a fun sport and very addicting!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 12:30 PM

Good job, Mikko!

Wildo, I think Pimg would love herding. Try it. When we tried it with Frieda, I was afraid she would totally lose it and aggressively go after the sheep. She is a dog that has big problems with impulse control, but when we tried herding she had an amazing degree of self control. I was shocked.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
We've been herding for about a year- Mikko did a fine job! He's very focused but after a few minutes he did get out away from them when she told him to, which shows he was listening and obeying without taking his eyes off of the sheep- that's what you want. He definitely has the whole concept. I imagine the trainer will have you do the training from now on. Until the next lesson work on his 'down' and recall. Instead of 'come' say 'here to me' because that's part of the terms you'll be using as you progress. He must learn how to obey from a distance. It takes a while but he'll start to put it all together. It's natural for him to want to nip and lunge at them initially but he'll figure out that he won't be allowed to work the sheep unless he does it your way. It's such a fun sport and very addicting!!

Thanks, Stosh! I will work on his downs from a distance. His obedience and recall is generally really good, but there's generally not sheep involved either I'm lookin forward to going again- I've been looking for a local trainer for years (since agility is our #1 sport, I didn't want to drive too far or spend too much money on herding). He really, really loves it!

Thanks Neo

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, obedience goes out the window when they're in with the sheep- at least for a while. You can look at the AKC website and download a lot of info about herding. There's a really good glossary of terms included. There's a good book called "Herding Dogs" by Vergil Holland. It talks about all kinds of breeds instead of just border collies and there are good cartoonish drawing that are so helpful. Enjoy and keep us posted
-Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page