question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

question

quick question;

lexie plays with another dog her age at the dog park ( we are the only ones there). last time she waited for the dog to enter (she put herself in the down position) and then all of a sudden ran like crazy, cut her off, moved her to the left, then right etc. the dog went to run under the picnic table and then she cut her off and proceeded to start herding again. I did notice that she was chirping like a squeek toy. do all german shepherds do this? i grew up with asl shepherds and they didnt. well anyway i called her to come, she ignored me, i did get her and left,(cant have her doing that to dogs). so we havent been back. Ive never seen her sooooooo focused. hope i wasnt too long winded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Crowned Member

Do you mean she was "stalking" the dog? In the down position and basically just takes off at the dog?

How did the other dog react? It is normal behavior for herding dogs, but it's also stuff that starts dog fights too.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

yeah, id say stalking especially when the other dog came in. lexie doesnt have a mean bone in her body, but i didnt like her doing that and also not comming when called. so we wont be visiting the park anytime soon. the other dog loves lexie and was fine, i guess she will miss playing with her being nobody goes to that park.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Crowned Member

This is exactly why GSD's aren't great dog park dogs. They've got tons of prey drive and they play really rough. A lot of the time, too rough for dogs they don't know and fights escalate.

It's really not that your dogs being mean. It's just doing what comes natural to them. They're herding dogs and that is herding behavior. It's really common behavior with these dogs, but not all dogs appreciate the nipping and being chased.

I recommend working on the recall with distractions. That should help. Set up some playdates with dogs she can be rough with and who you know are friendly if you have that luxury.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

thanks for your advice paul, i appreciate it. lori
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Banned

i say your dog was playing. i think that downward position
is how dogs play. my dog did that to the Dachshund that he was playing
with in our yard today. the Dachshund ran and then turned and
barked and nipped at my dog and my dog ran from him. he chased
my dog briefly then he flopped down. i think you should let your
dog play with the other dog and work on her recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
yeah, id say stalking especially when the other dog came in. lexie doesnt have a mean bone in her body, but i didnt like her doing that and also not comming when called. so we wont be visiting the park anytime soon. the other dog loves lexie and was fine, i guess she will miss playing with her being nobody goes to that park.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page