I want to get into herding. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I want to get into herding.

Myself and a couple of friends of mine from the rescue I volunteer with would like to start herding with our dogs. One of the girls had been doing it for awhile at a place near us but the lady she was working with moved to KY. I was wondering if anyone here knew of a place in Central VA that offered herding training or where I could find resources to find a reputable person to work with.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!!

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Elite Member

You're in Richmond? I can put you in touch with the person who I herd with--but she's in Isle of Wight, which is probably at least 90 minutes from you.

She herds with both border collies and GSDs and has nearly 20 years of dog training experience. She does gathering style, not tending. She has several students herding with their GSDs and she also trains other non-GSDs (corgies, aussies, Schipperke).

If you want the contact info, please send me a PM or email.

Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Elite Member

This is something I would be interested in too....am in Ct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 08:04 AM

I am going to move this thread to the herding section, you may get some more hits.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Crowned Member

You can find herding facilities,clubs, instinct tests and trials on the AKC website [akc.org]. Click on the herding tab and then search for events. It will give you a list and location and you can contact those places. Also there's a stock dog association website with a list of trainers. It's a fun fun sport and very addictive.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 02:39 PM

also check out the www.asca.org site, aussie shepherd club, they host ALOT of trials, and also probably post who is doing what.

Here in CT, it's rather slim pickens when it comes to herding

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

More questions about herding.

So I have a lead on a couple of places. I am curious about what kind of drives the dog needs. I am not really looking to compete- just have some fun. If we get a couple of titles, cool. If not, that is cool too.

Dharma is pretty low drive and not overly treat or toy driven. When we train she does GREAT for a bit then gets bored and is done. I wanted to do agility but I just don't think she has enough of a drive. I am hoping her herding instincts will kick in and she will want to do this. But I don't know. What does it take for the dog to work?

Pippa- she was no doubt abused before I got her. She is still pretty people shy although slowly coming around. She has let other people pet her but it is hit or miss. Usually she shies away. I am hoping that working will help build her confidence. Training is REALLY tough with her because she is too nervous, even with me. She doesn't like my hands in her face (like luring her into down) and she will just take off. The only thing she has really gotten down is "sit" although her recall is pretty amazing but I think that is because she is so bonded to me. I can call her from across the dog park, even if she doing something and she comes running.

I am just curious if they are even going to be interested. I know there are some people here that are very into herding and can maybe give me some idea.

TIA.

Debbi-
Mom to:

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Crowned Member

Dharma may surprise you once the sheep start moving! The trainer will first do an instinct test which will give you an idea of how interested the dogs are. The dog will be on a long lead and the trainer will look to see if first she even looks at the sheep and will keep her eye on them. Then the trainer will lead the dog in a circle around the pen and see how interested the dog is in moving the sheep. Some dogs actually don't even notice the sheep or are more interested in eating poop than moving them.

Pippa might be especially well suited because the dog has to work away from you so no one will be in her face. The fact that she can sit and has a good recall are essential. You should practice a down or sit with Dharma because you'll use that a lot at first. The only 'treat' the dog gets is the time with the sheep and your praise. Stosh isn't a very high drive dog either but he got so bored with obedience- he LOVES herding. Give it a try and if you don't like the first place go to another.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks!! That is what I am hoping. That since sheep are involved Dharma may just decide she is interested. She does show a lot of interest in trying to get other dogs to run at the park and is always interested when she sees other animals when we walk. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but she does show great interest.

And I am hopeful for Pippa because no one will be in her face but she will be able to work and build her confidence.

I am glad to know Stosh isn't a high drive dog either but loves it just the same. Hopefully mine will is well. I haven't really figured out Pippa's drives yet because of her fear/nervousness issues that she still has. I admit I am pretty excited about doing this and so are the other 2 women I have talked to. I plan to call the first place tomorrow and hopefully we can set up the instinct test in the next few weeks!

Debbi-
Mom to:

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 04:49 PM

I agree with Stosh, and I think you'll know from even the first time out whether they will be interested in sheep or not.

I don't know how many Instinct Tests I've watched with dogs who have never even seen a sheep, they are either 'into it' or 'not', and it kicks in pretty fast.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page