dog with elbow dysplasia should i let him try herding? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

dog with elbow dysplasia should i let him try herding?

My dog is ~1.5yrs old and has elbow dysplasia (probably caused by a falling accident when he was a pup). Anyway, i have been looking at herding instinct test and is thinking about having my dog go through it to expose him to new experiences. is this a bad idea because of the elbow dysplasia? he is a young dog that has a lot of energy. His dysplasia doesn't affect him too much at initial play time.

Also does anybody have exercise techniques for a dog with dysplasia problem?...he is a young dog that has a lot of energy so I need to give him a lot of exercise. This may sound counter intuitive but he seems to limping more later in the day when we go for long walks (2-3miles) as opposed to fetching (45 min). I like to take him swimming but do not have access to a pool and it is winter so lakes and rivers are out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 11:09 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Has he been xrayed to diagnos the elbow dyslasia? ED comes in 3 different forms, so knowing which kind will help us help you better.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Master Member

I'm in the same boat as you are. My dog is 2 years old. He had surgery for his ED. Vet said he should be able to do most of the things he did before. I think swimming is the best exercise for them but like you I am waiting for it to warm up. I am going to play it by ear and see what my dog can handle and what makes things worse. He is very active and I would hate for him to not be able to do anything. Herding is one of the things we will try and also try him back in agility but at a easier rate than before. I did switch mine to a raw diet and that seems to help along with supplements. I think every dog is different and you will just have to see what your dog can handle. Good luck!

Belinda
Rusti EAC, TN-N, TG-O, WV-N, NCC, NJC, CGC, GSD Diva
Jerry Lee AXP, MJP, OAC, TN-N, WV-N, NCC, NJC, SPJ, UAG1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Crowned Member

There's a few different types of herding- the tending, where he would primarily be moving in straight lines alongside the flock might not be as hard on his joints as gathering where he would be making sharp quick turns.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Crowned Member

My ortho vet told me that I could let my dog do anything, as long as it wasn't so intense as to aggravate his dysplasia. And I also got a supply of pain killers for those days when he did overdo.

I would say, go ahead. Your dog has a long life ahead and it would really suck if he had to sit home all day taking violin lessons. DOH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page