My Puppy Went to Her FIRST Herding Lesson! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

My Puppy Went to Her FIRST Herding Lesson!

I took my puppy to her first ever herding lesson on Monday. It was a half day seminar where we learned about all the commands, the courses, where local trials are held, and got to see some experienced dogs in action. Then, the fun part. We got to test our own dogs! Mine was the youngest there Altogether there were 3 border collie's, my GSD, two standard Poodles (haha, they were in bows with fancy haircuts too!), and an Australian shepherd (a month older than my pup). Mine was the youngest, then the Australian shepherd, the rest where over 2 years old.

The first two border collie's that went were already partially trained by their owners, they just wanted to see how their dogs would do with a professional trainer on the other end of the leash.

Third was one of the poodles (chocolate male). He was a barker and a chaser, haha. He even got a chunk out of one of the sheep's tails which caused a mess. His owner couldn't believe it, she says her poodle's were always so calm, and non aggressive, she couldn't believe that was her little boy. (the poodles are therapy dogs with all kinds of obedience titles). Their was even a person there taking photos that got an action shot of her dog in a full run, mouth open, teeth bared in a bark mode all dressed up in bows and the owner of the dog just busted out laughing, she couldn't believe it.

Fourth was my puppy. I have three short video's of how she did!

She is not the dog barking by the way... that is a dog in the background (in all the video's).

German Shepherd Herding (Part 3) - YouTube

The trainer said she only needed very soft corrections (very tiny). She did wonderfully for her first time! I am a proud mama We are going to try and go to lessons at LEAST twice a month... the place that does these is kind of far away from me... if she was closer I would be going a lot more often, it was a lot of fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Miss Christina && AnnaBelle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AnnaBelle~Bi-Color: 05/18/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Knighted Member

Congrats! Herding is a lot of fun. I really wish I could have pursued lessons with Jazz but the farm was just too far away.

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Yes, this farm is far away, but I am going to try to go at least twice a month ... I'm sure it will keep her stimulated and be a good source of excercise for that day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Crowned Member

She obviously knows what to do with those sheep! She looked good for her first time. We love herding and luckily for us the trainer is just 20 mins away so we get to go at least twice a week. It's a blast!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member

Going to a herding seminar was one of the most fun things I've done! I went with another friend from my GSD club. That day there were 3 GSDs, about 4 border collies and a couple of corgis. This was only for dogs who had never been around sheep and it was interesting how the dogs responded. The border collies and corgi were total naturals. Our GSDs were too, but our GSDs were a bit strong but workable, said the trainer. However mine was more of a cutter than a herder - he rounded them up then cut one out of the herd and got a mouthful of wool.

| OFA Good/Normal | DM Clear
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Crowned Member

The first time Stosh went he watched their heads and wanted to herd that way too- by cutting them off and turning them the direction he wanted them to go. We had to put him on a long lead and move them around the pen from behind- over and over and over again until he learned to watch their butts instead.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
The first time Stosh went he watched their heads and wanted to herd that way too- by cutting them off and turning them the direction he wanted them to go. We had to put him on a long lead and move them around the pen from behind- over and over and over again until he learned to watch their butts instead.
AnnaBelle was pretty good at following their butts, she had also watched a few other dogs in front of her doing it well too though and she is a very observant dog! She can watch other dogs do things and watch what their owners are saying then whenever I say it she will already know what to do! she has done this to me several times now! So whenever I have an issue with teaching her something new, I get someone in my training class to do it and she will watch and listen... then when I try again, she does it! Right on cue like she was a professional from the start... she amazes me EVERY day!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Master Member

That was pretty cool to watch. I have been thinking about getting my GSD's into herding also. The lady in the video had what looked like a broom. Is that to get the sheep moving? Is it ever used on the dogs?

Belinda
Rusti EAC, TN-N, TG-O, WV-N, NCC, NJC, CGC, GSD Diva
Jerry Lee AXP, MJP, OAC, TN-N, WV-N, NCC, NJC, SPJ, UAG1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page