Hello from a two legged Shepherd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Hello from a two legged Shepherd

Guess I might be hanging out in this part of the forums quite a bit, so I figured I'd do an introduction here also.

We run 100 head of dairy goats here in Virginia. Some of the top producing Nubians in the country live here on 400 acres. Its just me and one great dog named Heidi. She came to me through a rescue group in NC that specialized in Schutzhund sport, so I don't know much about her background, other than she was found abandoned with a big East German male who they kept and worked with. She did not test out for them, too soft of a bite, so they put her up for adoption. That was 8 years ago. She has a natural herding drive that has not been bred out of her and a very soft mouth around the animals. Its hard to explain, but she is like no other GSD that I have ever worked with before and she has made me rethink many things about the GSD breed in general.

Me:
Guess I was born to be a GSD lover. My mother found a young GSD tied to a post in her bank parking lot and found out the owner did not want him anymore..... 2 days before I was born. Since then I have had a steady stream of wonderful and unique GSD's share my home. I've pulled them as dying pups from dumpsters behind pet stores, worked with them at shelters, trained them for police, ran a GSD rescue, taken in retired military dogs, trained them to be service animals, and now run the farm with one and can't imagine my life without them. But she has spoiled me, and although I still help train GSD rescues so that they have the best opportunity at a new life, they all seem to be only 2/3rds of a GSD in my eyes after getting to know Heidi.

Heidi is now 12+ and has earned her rest. I have been looking for another GSD for us to train for the last several years, but until tonight thought she was so unique that I would never find one. She knows how to open the pens in the morning and lock everyone in at night without being told. She keeps an eye on everyone, and I have never had to worry about her or them if I was not in the field. During kidding season, she knows when a doe is due and keeps them in a pen, attends the kidding, cleans the kids and keeps them safe. During a snowstorm one winter night a pregnant doe got out, (my fault and I did not have Heidi with me in the milk room at the time) and kidded in the woods sometime during the night. Heidi disappeared that night from us also while my neighbors and I were looking for the doe and did not come home, the next day she brought four kids gently in her mouth to me out of the woods, picking one up and moving it a few feet, then another, they were clean and warm, well a little dog slobbery maybe, then led me to the doe who had died.
All my neighbors complain about people on their land or coyotes near their livestock, but I have never seen a sign of anything since she came here to help me.

I am hoping that you can help me find another great GSD
diamond like the girl I have now.

I know she is one in a million, but I know that super smart GSD come through rescues since that is where I found her, which means there are breeders making them.

So I'll take all help help I can get to find another like her.
.......................................I already found the Rin Tin Tin of my life. Now I'm looking for one that is almost as good.

Since I'm new to the whole registered GSD things, please bear with me as I ask lots of questions. If you have any questions please ask.

Thanks for reading this,
Trey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

If you are looking for a pup or a young dog, it might be a good idea to post a general location where you are, people may be able to point you to great breeders in your area, or rescues.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Banned

You might want a young dog that has already been started and proven rather than a pup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 09:18 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
If you are looking for a pup or a young dog, it might be a good idea to post a general location where you are, people may be able to point you to great breeders in your area, or rescues.
Go up to the User CP and click on that (narrow black strip) then Profile and 'Edit Your Details' to get your general location.

Have to say, when you have such a wonderful 'heart' dog, it's a tough act to follow so good luck with your search...

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Crowned Member

i'm of no help in this subject but i wish you the best of luck. and welcome!

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Crowned Member

You'd be surprised at how many GSD's posess herding drive. Look for a breeder who has HIC (herding instinct certificate) on their dogs, it's not the same as a herding title, but tells you that the dog has the instinct to go further.

That said, you're right, no dog will ever replace your Heidi, but hopefully you will be able to find a breeder who can help you get as close as possible. Talk to as many breeders as you can and see who you like.

Welcome to the forums!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Sorry thought I had done that in the control panel thingy. Guess it did not save right. Will try again.

Of course I'd prefer a started dog, but with my experience training dogs I can bring one up through training without a problem.

For the right GSD I'd travel across the country, so location is not that big of an issue with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page