I need help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

I need help

Okay so I posted this in the training forum but no one seems to be able to help me. My dog is 18 months old and about 2 months ago his herding drive kicked in full on. He decided recently to start herding our horses. He goes out into the pasture and brings them in for feeding. But it is getting out of hand and he is herding them any time we go outside. As soon as they start moving he starts bringing them around and running them all over the pasture. Any way I can get him to stop herding?? or to rein him in and train him to do it right. I don't want to diminish a perfectly good drive but also I don't want him kicked in the head which has been a close call twice now. Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Taylor

Dogs have a lot to communicate to a person who is willing to listen- Susan Butcher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Crowned Member

Re: I need help

taylor i am no training expert but i think it would be pretty hard to train-out a natural drive. my only suggestion would be if you want to protect him he'll have to be confined or be on a leash. others here with more experience may have a better answer.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Crowned Member

On your other thread it says that you are training him to herd horses? Perhaps he is more aggressive at home because that is his territory? Maybe you should stop teaching him to herd horses in training? I would leash him when you are out with the horses until his training is more advanced and you have the herding issue at home under control.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

I am not training him to herd horses. I am trying to find an alternative to him running them wildly all over the pasture. He brings them in for meals on his own and has for the past 2 months. I haven't trained anything as far as herding goes.
He is already crated while I am at work and I would rather do something hard like retraining or teach him to use his drive in a controlled manner than to have him be confined all of the time- that isn't a fair alternative to my dog either.

Taylor

Dogs have a lot to communicate to a person who is willing to listen- Susan Butcher
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Crowned Member

Leash your dog. Bring him outside. Make him heel beside you (work long and hard on obedience so you have his focus.) Don't let him chase horses until you can get his herding focus under control. Enroll him in some herding classes so the pros can help you with this.

Otherwise, you're just creating a nuisance...not a herder.

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

I see where the misunderstanding is. He is in training for Search and Rescue- not herding.

I DONT" WANT TO TRAIN HIM TO HERD. I haven't been trying to do something like that. I know nothing about it. That is why I am asking for help to get him to stop.

Taylor

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Crowned Member

I'm sorry. I misunderstood your below post on the other thread you just posted. I apologize. Good luck with your dog. I would start with a trainer who can teach him the proper time and place to herd.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...Number=1328957

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SarDogWhen he's working or training there is no problem. We have been training through horses, donkeys, cattle, sheep, goats and he's fine. He is totally concentrated on searching. Even when we go out to other places there doesn't seem to be a problem. He greets other horses nicely with a lick on the nose and then goes off to do something else.
Only our horses. Only at home.

I have an e-collar I just haven't put it on him. If I don't get any other options I will use it. I will try the long- line while we are at home and see if that helps. I don't have a problem with using an e collar. I just don't want to take an easy way out if there are other options. I don't mind investing the time. I just need to know where to start.

Thank you for your help and input. I will definitely try anything

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I went back to the other post and saw where the misunderstanding was. I was responding to the post above that one. Where someone stated they were concerned that my dog would critter if he continued to herd. We have been training for SAR for the past 14 months. He doesn't herd when we work around animals for SAR. Just at home. And if I miss the initial intention ie. the look or body language that tells me he's going- once he starts I can't get him to stop.
I apologize for the misunderstanding. But I am not trying to train him to herd- just looking for input on how I can train him to refocus his attenion.
If that means using that drive and training him to herd correctly I would consider doing that if I had someone to work with. Otherwise I need to train that "out" of him.
For the safety of my dog and the sanity of my horses.

Taylor

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Knighted Member

I am far from an expert. I have a horse and work around horses every day. I also do herding with one of my dogs.

Horses don't really like being herded. In herding trials you can see sheep, goats, cows, ducks being used. But you won't ever see horses. They just don't respond the way a herder needs them to respond.

You could go to a herding trainer and learn how to work your dog. But that won't really help your situation, since horses don't herd the way sheep, etc. do and your dog will still be at risk of getting nailed by a horse. If you are really keen on guiding his behavior though, within the context of herding, find a trainer to work with. There are so many things you need to be aware of, getting expert help is worth the effort.

I would suggest that you teach a rock solid recall and never let your dog have access to the horses. Or have him on a long line so you can reel him in if he blows through your recall.
Sheilah
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Crowned Member

Leerburg has some articles I think on dogs and horses and I think they have a dvd on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page