Herding in Florida? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Herding in Florida?

I have no clue where to even begin! I did some google searches and got nothing. I'd like to do some basic herding training/testing with my puppy. He seems to have a lot of natural herding drive. I'd love to do it just for fun!

He will be an ILP dog. The breeder never sent me papers, in spite of a signed contract and both parents being AKC registered. Not sure if that matters either.

Effie's Six Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Herding in Florida?

Not sure where you are in FL but Sherry Lee is in St Cloud. I showed under her a couple years ago and she was helpful. I am pretty sure she does clinics, trials, and private lessons. Can't seem to find a website for her though.

Silence is Golden ~ Duct tape is Silver.

FO UCD ARCHX RLVX3 RL1X RL2X Joobie Toozday VCD1 HT RA OA OAJ NF CD-H JJ-N CTL1 TT CGC
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

I am about two and a half hours from there, but I'd be willing to go there to have my dog evaluated and to learn! I am truly CLUELESS!

Effie's Six Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Knighted Member

There are a bunch of trainers listed on this site...
k9station

You could reach out to this club...
Central Florida Herding Club
They have upcoming trials in December & January...you should go watch and talk to people!

Silence is Golden ~ Duct tape is Silver.

FO UCD ARCHX RLVX3 RL1X RL2X Joobie Toozday VCD1 HT RA OA OAJ NF CD-H JJ-N CTL1 TT CGC
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Knighted Member

Where in Florida are you? I know of one in Hilliard (near Jax) and one in Morriston (near Ocala)

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Knighted Member

There is also someone in Tallahassee.

Robbie
Jesse, Oakley, and Xander's Mom
Sweet, gentle Maggie, in our hearts forever!
Our hearts are still broken Jazzi, we miss you so much!
In Loving Memory of Misty. We love you Misty Mist.
We'll never forget you Callie and Quebec.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: I_LOVE_MY_MIKKOWhere in Florida are you? I know of one in Hilliard (near Jax) and one in Morriston (near Ocala)
Is the one near Morriston the man with the Sammies? If so, that's where I used to take Slider. He was knowledgable, we learned a lot. Wish I could have kept going, Slider LOVED herding the sheepies.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Arycrest
Quote:
Originally Posted By: I_LOVE_MY_MIKKOWhere in Florida are you? I know of one in Hilliard (near Jax) and one in Morriston (near Ocala)
Is the one near Morriston the man with the Sammies? If so, that's where I used to take Slider. He was knowledgable, we learned a lot. Wish I could have kept going, Slider LOVED herding the sheepies.
I don't think so. It is called Sheilen Farms, and I think he has Borders. But, I haven't been to him yet, we're going to start after the new year.

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: I_LOVE_MY_MIKKOI don't think so. It is called Sheilen Farms, and I think he has Borders. But, I haven't been to him yet, we're going to start after the new year.
Cool - hope you post every so often about it. After I was left with a bad permanent limp after being rammed by 250 lb wethered ram (or whatever they're called) I stopped taking the Hooligans herding.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Knighted Member

oh wow, sorry about your accident!

i will definitely post about this place...i forgot that i heard through a GSD friend of mine that there are several GSD people who have expressed interest in tending, and so he might start that up!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page